Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Did anyone figure out how to play/launch a private Coop game with less than 4 players?
    Ummm.. Create a private lobby, invite your friend, have both press ready.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Ummm.. Create a private lobby, invite your friend, have both press ready.

Exactly what we did, didn't work. "waiting for more players to start the game".

Activated Node
    I was surprised I actually enjoyed FC3 because I disliked FC2. I only played FC2 at launch, prior to the patches, so maybe it's better now, I don't know. But anyway, Far Cry 3, I enjoyed it.

Pros:

It feels diverse enough. They got rid of the respawning checkpoints/outposts. Now, if you capture an outpost, you keep it and it becomes a resupply/fast-travel point for you. There are 42 weapons, most of which can be customized. The gunplay feels fast paced semi-realistic, which makes it quite fun. There's a simplified AI with a simple stealth system. This makes for dynamic firefights. With dynamic firefights, I mean that the AI isn't scripted, they move around freely to try to find you and sometimes flank you. Keep in mind that most games, like COD, don't have an AI whatsoever, so even a simple AI is a big deal, in my opinion. There's quite a few other things that make the game diverse.

The "level up" mechanic is quite interesting and unique. You level up in two ways: A skill tree and general upgrades. The skill tree is not very unique, it basically gives you new abilities/powers. The upgrades are quite simple, like increasing your maximum ammo capacity, but they are implemented in a unique way. You need to hunt animals and use their skin to "craft" the upgrades. This adds a bit of a hunting/survival atmosphere.

The acting is very well done, and with acting I mean the voice and motion-capture acting. It made the story somewhat enjoyable to follow. The story is average, but the acting made it enjoyable enough. Although, some stuff was plain ridiculous, like for example the change from "naive kid" to "rambo" went way too quickly. I think that at the beginning they should've given the protagonist a few more "I don't know what I'm doing" lines, rather than the "hell yeah, big boom" dialogue. But anyway, the story wasn't bad mainly because the actors saved it. Here's an example of the excellent acting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMsYvGzLsmE

Cons:

The second island is boring. I think they should've made it more tropical, with a lot more trees, combined with open areas, instead of having only open areas. The thing is that compared to the first island, the second island feels like it was quickly thrown together without much thought.

Multiplayer is a letdown. Maybe I just got my hopes up a bit too much, but I expected coop to be on the singleplayer free-roam map. Instead, it's a few linear missions. I thought it was quite boring.

What I was missing in singleplayer is a mechanic where you have to defend an area together with friendly forces against the enemy. The focus here should be on giving the player an excuse to defend the area, rather than actually losing the area. So the devs should've made it so that every couple of hours you get a warning that an outpost is under attack, and when you enter the area, you see enemies moving in on the outpost, while friendly forces are defending it. I think that could've made the game a bit more fun.

The signature weapons are overpowered like hell. For example, early into the game I received a signature weapon SMG. Until the late game, it was the best weapon I could find. Althought it was an SMG, it outmatched all rifles/LMGs. Then in the late game, I received a signature weapon assault rifle. Yeah, it made almost all weapons pointless. Such a shame.
    Last edited by BlackAlpha; 04-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Obscure Node
    Is it likely to be patched before Christmas sales? Or is it as cheap as it will get for the foreseeable future?

A patch was released today, IIRC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Solution for those who really don't like the hud (reddit, I know):

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comme...cators_in_far/

Activated Node
    Haven't seen anyone mention this little tidbit: After commandeering a vehicle, the occupants who got out will re-enter if you wait for a few seconds. If they were the heavily armed types, well, just drive them to the next outpost and see what happens. Haha. Combined with the fact that you can stick C4 charges to vehicles... that's just another trick or two in the bag, anyways. Cheers.
    Last edited by Oklahoma Jones; 05-12-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I finished the story (which was rubbish) and all the other stuff except the hunting quests.
    Since enemies don't respawn there's nothing left to do. There's no New Game+ option.
    I'm not going to replay it anytime soon. I had fun, especially in the second island, but the flaws are too big for me. I'll check out the map editor, although without an open world I doubt it will hold my attention too long.
    Far Cry 2 is better. I'll keep playing that for years.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Solution for those who really don't like the hud (reddit, I know):

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comme...cators_in_far/
    Wow. I did this and now it's the game I want to play.

No HUD means no mini-map, no UI popups, no nagging mission reminders. All of the things that annoy me about the game; in fact, the main things wrong with it. No 'Press R to reload', no 'Dingo tongues', no 'explore the jungle, or find Cidra's earrings'. There's no '26 dollars' popup, or loot popups like 'someone's keys'.

It also means there's no health bars, no enemy-awareness indicators, and no 'press a button now to do a takedown'. But you know what? They've overdone the player-assist stuff so much that you don't NEED any of those things! There's a sound when you enter takedown range. There's a sound when you start getting seen by enemies. There's red screen-edges and greyness to your vision when you start to get hurt.

It's suddenly exactly the game I want to play: It's amazing to be in the world, not viewing it through a screen.

Activated Node
    There's also mod tools being worked on here:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...for-Far-Cry-3?

Expect HUD, Hardcore and other stuff to come from this in time.

Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomMunky View Post
    It's amazing to be in the world, not viewing it through a screen.
    This is what I feel when I turn off the HUD in Dark Souls, but I'm too much of a wuss to play for long like that.

Anyone have experience with the cooperative mode? ie. does it support lan, even if it doesn let us go offline?

Anno 2070 is a dream to play together, virtually lagfree, and I dont think it has a lan mode either. (but we do play over a local network, with internet activated) But Far Cry 3 is a "twitch" game...
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomMunky View Post
    Wow. I did this and now it's the game I want to play.

No HUD means no mini-map, no UI popups, no nagging mission reminders. All of the things that annoy me about the game; in fact, the main things wrong with it. No 'Press R to reload', no 'Dingo tongues', no 'explore the jungle, or find Cidra's earrings'. There's no '26 dollars' popup, or loot popups like 'someone's keys'.

It also means there's no health bars, no enemy-awareness indicators, and no 'press a button now to do a takedown'. But you know what? They've overdone the player-assist stuff so much that you don't NEED any of those things! There's a sound when you enter takedown range. There's a sound when you start getting seen by enemies. There's red screen-edges and greyness to your vision when you start to get hurt.

It's suddenly exactly the game I want to play: It's amazing to be in the world, not viewing it through a screen.
    Does disabling the "Mission Area" notifications break the game? I've been Skinner Box'd into never allowing the timer to run out on those things, so I don't really know what happens when you stray to far.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Does disabling the "Mission Area" notifications break the game? I've been Skinner Box'd into never allowing the timer to run out on those things, so I don't really know what happens when you stray to far.
    Hmm. Good point. I'm willing to accept it because it's just too good to play with the HUD off.

I went too far afield once, and when I failed the mission it reloaded me at the last checkpoint, in this case, the start of the mission. Do mission areas show up on the main map?

Network Hub
    Found something I really disliked!

Spoiler:
    The fight with Vaas and the Ink Demon reminded me of Half Life's ZEN section combined with some of the sections of Max Payne. I hated it. It added nothing to the game. Trippy sequences in games are just a big NO in my book.

Network Hub
    I really liked:

Spoiler:
    The Buck missions. Loved the Tomb Raider like missions. I wanted more!

So.. do QTEs still show up? If not there will be problems sooner or later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Every boss fight is a mix of shitty psychedelic QTEs and cutscenes.

Obscure Node
    Wow. Far Cry 3 has negative mouse acceleration when setting it to Off.

Un-play-able

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomNext View Post
    So.. do QTEs still show up? If not there will be problems sooner or later.
    If you're asking in regard to the HUD remover tweak, no, they do not show up. Yes, there will be problems later.

I'm going to keep tracking the progress of mods at this link and hope for a mini-map remover (or even better, a configurable HUD tweaker).