Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Highly enjoyed most of the game (As has been pointed out, there are weaker sections) and have played to 99%, so my question is:

Where the *&^% are Memory Card 1 and Relic 104?!?! The last 2 things I need for 100% and the OCD side of me refuses to let me sleep!
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

I'd been playing with a post-it note over the minimap, which made the game much, much better. But the Hardcore mod (the link was a few posts back) is enough for my needs. Yes, the map's still there, and still too big, but all the cheaty information is gone. Now the meds that let you detect enemies/plants/etc actually serve a purpose, since you don't already have omnescient knowledge of everything around you. There's also a lite version that only gets rid of enemy indicators, which I recommend to everybody who doesn't like the sound of the hardcore mod. I really can't overstate how much better combat is when you get to actually hunt and be hunted.

edit: it's a shame turning off the music* results in eerie silence during the club flashbacks. The main world has amazing sound design but there's literally none in the club parts, so it kind of seems like everyone's dancing to 4'33. Of course it's barely any hassle switching it on just for those bits so ah well.

*which is mostly really quite surprisingly shit, considering its pedigree. Of course I suppose given recent trends in game soundtracks there's no reason to believe 'Composed by Brian Tyler' actually means Brian Tyler wrote the music for the game.
    Last edited by Gwilym; 06-12-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
    I'd been playing with a post-it note over the minimap, which made the game much, much better. But the Hardcore mod (the link was a few posts back) is enough for my needs. Yes, the map's still there, and still too big, but all the cheaty information is gone. Now the meds that let you detect enemies/plants/etc actually serve a purpose, since you don't already have omnescient knowledge of everything around you. There's also a lite version that only gets rid of enemy indicators, which I recommend to everybody who doesn't like the sound of the hardcore mod. I really can't overstate how much better combat is when you get to actually hunt and be hunted.

edit: it's a shame turning off the music* results in eerie silence during the club flashbacks. The main world has amazing sound design but there's literally none in the club parts, so it kind of seems like everyone's dancing to 4'33. Of course it's barely any hassle switching it on just for those bits so ah well.

*which is mostly really quite surprisingly shit, considering its pedigree. Of course I suppose given recent trends in game soundtracks there's no reason to believe 'Composed by Brian Tyler' actually means Brian Tyler wrote the music for the game.
    Apologies but could you post the link again? I can only find the link to the Reddit guide if I go a few pages back.

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, it's the modding tools link: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...for-Far-Cry-3?

Since the current modding technique seems to be to replace assets (such as map elements or hud sounds) with blank files, I'm assuming it's inevitable that we'll get a "make the enemies shut up" mod soon enough. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes every shootout didn't descend into a chorus of FUCK YOU FUCK ME FUCK ME FUCK YOU FUCK ME FUCK YOU. I guess this sexual proclivity is why they all have the clap.

Okay, it turns out the co-op is very very fun! My brother and I just played through the first three levels and while "Far Cry 3 co-op" is a bit of a misnomer, it's a very enjoyable mode on its own merits. It's not very polished, but the overall feel is somewhere between Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty SpecOps, except much more challenging than either. All the assists on singleplayer become necessary, and tagging becomes an important tactic. The levels are unapologetically linear, and it's a shame not to be able to actually share the core Far Cry 3 experience, but as a bonus feature I'm really happy with it and look forward to playing more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ok, I just downloaded it and tryiing it..

UGH... its not optimized at all, the only game that runs slow on my machine. Had to set everything on medium, and still the game look odd and feel odd. I suppose the game is optimized for consoles and not PC.

The UI elements hare far from the borders, is very distracting. VERY DISTRACTING.

You fail a lame mission, and the game restart to the last savepoint. W. T. F.

On my first mission I had to get some coloured leafs, but was unable to complete the mission because my inventory was full. Nobody has beta tested this game or what?. The first mission. LOL. The text of the mission is another element that is almost on the center of the screen and is very distracting.

Not happy with the game. I will wait for some of these problems to be fixed by a patch, or by users.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Not sure what you mean by optimized but I've been impressed with the engine and framerate

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    On my first mission I had to get some coloured leafs, but was unable to complete the mission because my inventory was full.

so just throw something away or sell loot

Network Hub
    My favorite thing so far is the vending machine for guns. I can so easily see how the developers got themselves into a situation will all the vendor trash that they needed one to not drive the player crazy with shop transactions.

"Players are spending too much time going to the shop, and we only have a day to fix this."
    "Create a gun vending machine in their home and attach it to the shop interface!"
    "Okaaaaaay..."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by arccos View Post
    My favorite thing so far is the vending machine for guns. I can so easily see how the developers got themselves into a situation will all the vendor trash that they needed one to not drive the player crazy with shop transactions.

"Players are spending too much time going to the shop, and we only have a day to fix this."
    "Create a gun vending machine in their home and attach it to the shop interface!"
    "Okaaaaaay..."
    That reminds me, how many games (not including Far Cry or Crysis) have clearly influenced Far Cry 3?

The shop vending machine - Borderlands

The radio tower, hunting mechanics, silent takedowns by grabbing people from below or jump on top of them - Assassin's Creed

Anything else?
    Last edited by BlackAlpha; 06-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Obscure Node
    I know it's sacrilegious but I can't stop thinking of a Jagged Alliance 2 remake using FC3. It's something I should hate the idea of, strategy games becoming first person man-shoots, but i can't stop thinking that so much of FC3 island seems tailor made for a amazing overhaul mod.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Don't worry it's only sacrilegious if a major studio does that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAlpha View Post
    That reminds me, how many games (not including Far Cry or Crysis) have clearly influenced Far Cry 3?

The shop vending machine - Borderlands

The radio tower, hunting mechanics, silent takedowns by grabbing people from below or jump on top of them - Assassin's Creed

Anything else?
    Splinter Cell: Conviction - detection arrows and

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Not sure what you mean by optimized but I've been impressed with the engine and framerate
    The engine is nothing special, crash a lot and is not smooth.

All the menus sufer from console-itis where you have to go back and from from infinite confirmation menus and 90 million levels deep.

This game is so stupid that you can't sell wen you inventory is full (because you have a limited inventory for money). What a stupid game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    This game is so stupid that you can't sell wen you inventory is full (because you have a limited inventory for money). What a stupid game.
    Wait. Waitwaitwaitwhat?

Money in this game is considered an inventory item? It's not kept separate from your actual inventory and it doesn't stack infinitely?

If this is under the guise of "being realistic" then I remind you this game allows you to stab people in the neck, pull the knife out and almost instantly throw it into another guy's head from 30 feet away.
    Last edited by Shooop; 06-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Wait. Waitwaitwaitwhat?

Money in this game is considered an inventory item? It's not kept separate from your actual inventory and it doesn't stack infinitely?
    It's not.

Money is stashed in your wallet which is a seperate container you can upgrade by hunting. This works as a mechanic against the "money's not an issue" thing that plagues many games and would plague FC3 as well. It keeps you from acquiring the best guns early on (because your wallet can hold enough cash for them) and also forces you to "waste" money by buying non-essential stuff which I tbh. consider a plus.

All the menus sufer from console-itis where you have to go back and from from infinite confirmation menus and 90 million levels deep.
    To access crafting I press F1. To exiting crafting I press ESC twice. That's one time to often I agree but still it's not consilitis. This holds true for all other menus.

The engine is nothing special, crash a lot and is not smooth.
    Never had a crash and runs perfectly smooth. BATTLE OF ANECDOTES. And if you're on NVidia try switching to HBOA, disabling AA and using Beta drivers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Haven't had any performance issues, and my CPU is well below recommended spec.

Activated Node
    I kept wondering why I was so disoriented all the time and then I realized that the sun moves from west to east. Is this just "insanity" or does Ubisoft really not know which way the Earth spins? Can anyone else confirm that this is actually the case?
    Last edited by Oklahoma Jones; 06-12-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    If this is under the guise of "being realistic" then I remind you this game allows you to stab people in the neck, pull the knife out and almost instantly throw it into another guy's head from 30 feet away.
    Not that this changes it being totally unrealistic but the knife you throw for the second kill is not your own. You stab the first guy with your machete/tanto, then grab the dead man's knife as he's falling to the ground and throw that. I know because I just did one of these a few minutes ago. Makes more sense (plus this is why you continue to have a machete/tanto afterwards).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arccos View Post

"Okaaaaaay..."
    I like to imagine the man pulling dolls heads and playing cards out of his pocket and sticking them in a slot in the vending machine. Then money and guns pop out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Is this game thematically connected to a book, like Dr. Moreau and Heart of Darkness in its predecessors?
    Not sure if anyone gave you the real answer, but it is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.