Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    I know the title of this thread says it all but i think it's worth repeating.
    the developers of this game deserves all the treat we can give. Far Cry 3 easily makes to one of the best games this year.
    Haven't tried the console experience yet though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    I know the title of this thread says it all but i think it's worth repeating.
    the developers of this game deserves all the treat we can give. Far Cry 3 easily makes to one of the best games this year.
    Haven't tried the console experience yet though.
    It is an awesome game, which makes the stupid decisions I mentioned above even more infuriating!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Another stuff I hate from this game.

"go kill a bear"
    I kill the bear with my knife.
    "Mission failed, you must kill the bear with a shotgun".

The game restrict freedom, so you don't aproximate encounters the most fun way, or the most efficient way, but force you to do so exactly like you are told you to do. This is like training to be a yesmen person. Is horrible. The developers must hate freedom.

I hope mods add the line "Simon say... " to every quest in this game, because it feels like a "Simon say.." game.
    Lrn 2 Reed misshun breef?

Someone keeps hammering buttons too quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post

Tei's complaining about an arbitrary rule; you seem to be saying it's their fault because they didn't follow that arbitrary rule. I'm not really sure what's supposed to happen next.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post

You are missing the point. It's about restricting the player to do things that he might not consider to be fun.

Personally, I've avoided the hunting and assassination missions whenever I could because they are just not fun to me. I wish there would be no limitation on what weapon I'm allowed to use. For example, I really wish I could use a sniper to finish the assassination missions because I consider sniping fun. On the other hand, I hate being forced to knife someone.

The problem here is that if you do not do all the missions, which you might consider to be no fun at all, you won't get all the goodies.
    Last edited by BlackAlpha; 07-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Banned
    So what he thought would happen if the mission says "Kill bear with a shotgun" and he did it with a knife?

That the game will be just "Well, okay, we EXPLICITLY TOLD YOU TO USE THE WEAPON PROVIDED, and you DIDN'T, but I guess IT'S OKAY"?

No, you fucking fail a mission because you didn't complete the objective.

Holy shit, videogames!

And whining that a mission "forces" you to use a shotgun to kill a bear is borderline retarded when there's infinitely respawning bears all over the island you can kill in any way you can imagine. Can't stand being "forced" to kill a bear with a shotgun?

Then don't do the mission in the first place you rebel, you.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So what he thought would happen if the mission says "Kill bear with a shotgun" and he did it with a knife?

That the game will be just "Well, okay, we EXPLICITLY TOLD YOU TO USE THE WEAPON PROVIDED, and you DIDN'T, but I guess IT'S OKAY"?

Holy shit, videogames!

And whining that a mission "forces" you to use a shotgun to kill a bear is borderline retarded when there's infinitely respawning bears all over the island you can kill in any way you can imagine. Can't stand being "forced" to kill a bear with a shotgun?

Killing bears with a bow sucks, though. It's quite tedious due to how many arrows they can take.

Network Hub
    Chasing pigs with a shotgun is fun though!

I really enjoyed what time I put into the game until I experienced a game breaking bug. At some point, all of my weapons were randomly unequipped from my character. I didn't realize until a bit later that it also unequipped my camera and rock throwing ability as well. Obviously, these can't be re-equipped and the game doesn't have a developer console (which would provide an easy solution). Now I'm forced to either start a new game (and lose several hours of work) or wait until Ubisoft fixes this issue (which seems to be fairly uncommon).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Chasing pigs with a shotgun is fun though!
    And in the game.

They could have struck a happy medium by making the "use specific weapon" objective an optional that gives you extra stuff if you do it. Like the optionals Borderlands 2 includes in some quests.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Does anyone familiar with modding know: is there any hope of these things getting modded-out or would they be hardcoded into the game? Like gun requirements for missions, limited mission areas etc.

Also is there any possibility of getting a Freeplay mod with the current (lack of) modding tools?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

Holy shit, videogames!

His point is about here:> .

Your head is about here:> .

That sound? That's his point sailing so far above your head that you have no hope of ever understanding it.

Having so many arbitrary rules about how one conducts missions in an open world game is incredibly frustrating and detrimental to the game. Open world games are about the (illusion) of go-anywhere, do-anything freedom.

They both have a point Vicious, but it just happens that both their points are buried in a pile of angry internet-man-speak.

You do have a draw a line somewhere in a game to actually encourage the player to do something instead of just wander about aimlessly. But putting silly limits on what you're allowed to do is just as bad.

The smart thing would have been to make the "use X weapon to kill bear/shark/kangaroo/sasquatch" an optional thing that would give you extra stuff for doing it that specific way.

Network Hub
    But... you don't even need to do 90% of them missions. And even the ones you do 'need' you don't really need.
    If you don't enjoy it, don't do it?

I hate the driving, but accept that for some missions, I'll need to drive. That's mandatory. But the Hunt quests are completely optional. I fail to see the reasoning behind complaining about optional content forcing you to do something.

I think the problem with the "kill X amount of Y with Z only" is FC3's absolute failure state when you just happen to stab a komodo dragon with your machete. I'd be fine with a penalty, or less reward, but utter failure is kinda silly.

Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    I think the problem with the "kill X amount of Y with Z only" is FC3's absolute failure state when you just happen to stab a komodo dragon with your machete. I'd be fine with a penalty, or less reward, but utter failure is kinda silly.
    Then again, the fact that stabbing a komodo dragon with a machete is a thing means that these petty arguments are pretty much invalid after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Then again, the fact that stabbing a komodo dragon with a machete is a thing means that these petty arguments are pretty much invalid after all.
    Only if it was wearing a bolo tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Another stuff I hate from this game.

"go kill a bear"
    I kill the bear with my knife.
    "Mission failed, you must kill the bear with a shotgun".

The game restrict freedom, so you don't aproximate encounters the most fun way, or the most efficient way, but force you to do so exactly like you are told you to do. This is like training to be a yesmen person. Is horrible. The developers must hate freedom.

I hope mods add the line "Simon say... " to every quest in this game, because it feels like a "Simon say.." game.
    I just went and succesfully completed a kill a bunch of leopards with a flamethrower mission using only a machete. Sooo... Yeah.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    But... you don't even need to do 90% of them missions. And even the ones you do 'need' you don't really need.
    If you don't enjoy it, don't do it?

I hate the driving, but accept that for some missions, I'll need to drive. That's mandatory. But the Hunt quests are completely optional. I fail to see the reasoning behind complaining about optional content forcing you to do something.
    Hunting missions are mandatory to receive all the upgrades. Assassination missions are mandatory to receive special weapons.