Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Can't jump on them though. A few ridiculous fails when I tried that.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Activated Node
    On the heavy bastards, I had the heavy takedown but I managed to pull off a death from above, maybe it would work without the heavy takedown skill

velocity or something? :P

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Eh this radio tower thing is getting so annoying... I m still having fun with the outposts and running through the jungle but those towers are a pain. It doesn't help they re tied to legendary guns either.

Also thanks for the attachments mod, should come in handy!

Those waiting for the next patch with the HUD adjustments can find a trainer here with the ability to hide the HUD: http://thatlingon.blogspot.co.uk/ (for free)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just finished the game, the ending was a bit anti-climatic. I mean, I get the message that the warrior gets cannibalized by another, but still, killing the player after a round of sex is just cheesy. Also, I like Buck and Vaas, Buck even managed to get a laugh or two out of me. It's rare that you get to see such great voice acting in an fps, the body language of the models and their facial expressions were good too. Plus, the music is great, especially the one that plays during the fight with Vaas and while you're setting fire to the weed. That reminds me, why is weed being grown by slavers, who own the island, rather than something more profitable like poppy/coca?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    How does every feel about the health mechanics? Personally, I hate getting set on fire so much, there's nothing more frustrating than running away with my stupid arms waving in front of my face getting shot by 20 pirates as I try to put out the fire. It makes playing Far Cry 3 really hard. But no really, some of the full body awareness gets annoying and I didn't find that so much in FC2.
    Last edited by Sketch; 11-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Only thing that annoyed me about that is the delay before you can start slapping the fire.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Yeah that might be my problem with it too. It's partly my fault - I always forget to make more syringes.

That said, it's a pet peeve of mine when games have unstoppable 'stumble' animations and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Personally, I hate getting set on fire so much, there's nothing more frustrating than running away with my stupid arms waving in front of my face getting shot by 20 pirates as I try to put out the fire.
    The fact that you can write a sentence like that about a game is one thing I like very much, though. Got me laughing too.

While I can see how it's annoying, it's also a mechanic for a reason. It's different to taking damage via bullets or falling or drowning so it needs to actually be different and part of that is the fact that you have to put yourself out, usually while running away in a hail of bullets. It's actually hilarious if you picture it.

In fact, counter to you, I love the full body awareness (sort of anyway, it's not that complete really) and it's one thing that always set Far Cry apart for me, from the rest of the FPS. That and the open world and lush jungle environments, obviously. Granted, they only really started it with the second one, but for me they did exactly what I wanted them too, which is add more, without drowning me in them. It can get a bit disorienting, but for me that's part of the point. You get used to them, to an extent, but ultimately they are there for both situational awareness as well as a bit of challenge.

I'm giving it a test drive I'm surprised by how competent it is other than the hilariously awful story.

Only thing is it's less stable than Windows ME and constantly black-screens and crashes to desktop. Any fixes for that?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    I'm giving it a test drive I'm surprised by how competent it is other than the hilariously awful story.

Only thing is it's less stable than Windows ME and constantly black-screens and crashes to desktop. Any fixes for that?
    Well only crashed once or twice in the 40 hours or so my first run took. Drivers? The usual stuff.

Activated Node
    Only experienced one crash and I pinpointed that to my internet disconnecting ahaha

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Spoilers:
    WTF is up with those stupid boss fights??? Just went through the ink monster and Vas... Vas was ok although I would have preferred some stealth assassination mission. But the monster, who thought this was a good idea???

Somehow I kept thinking during this fight and the ensuing naked cut-scene that this was aimed at frustrated, white 30 year olds. Exotic location, check. Ancient Gods, check. White man liberating natives, check. Sexy native witch, check. Dumping your old, boring girlfriend and life, check.
    End of Spoilers.
    Last edited by kataras; 13-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.

As a frustrated white 30 year old I can assure you that yes, that is what we like; that specific narrative, and I think it's a bit churlish of you to bemoan us finally being catered to after all these years. Gaming is for everyone

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Of course it's for everyone. It's just that I have the feeling we get a lot of games catering to this crowd specifically lately. I kept thinking that Far Cry 2 was a bit better handled (for as long as I played at least, the re-spawning enemies eventually got to me).

I think my frustrations with this game get multiplied by 10 because I can see how underneath some of the crap it could have been an amazing open-world game. If it wasn't for the stupid story and the hand-holding...
    Last edited by kataras; 13-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Banned
    Thanks for the spoilers, by the way. Keep the change

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Thanks for the spoilers, by the way. Keep the change
    Yeah forgot about that, although it's not major spoilers...

hes just a clueless spineless college guy. I refer you to the ending. The reason he does so much killing isnt because hes so brave and hes finally found his calling, its because he's empty and hollow.

Not bad writing perse, just a very annoying character, which you happen to play.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    I can't say muchabout how I'm loving this game right now.
    I've noticed thoughthat some folks in forums like these are having some hard time connecting withthe character and his in-game friends. I hate to disagree on that note. I findthem obnoxious, spoiled and simply not likeable in a real-world setting. Butpersonally, I have my own twist on it while I'm munching on this game when Iplay. I see the character as a kid seeing the reality of the island. It is easyto spot his like for the natives, which is also passed on to me--when I play Ihave a desire to help fight with the natives in their struggle to take backtheir island. I see a character who isseeing a growing difference in himself, making him growing slowly, while at thesame time seeing the folly of his spoiled friends.
    I choose to carryonly one gun as I don't really shoot wildlife that much. It's cool looking athow animals interact with the environment of the game. At times, it does give abrief feeling of how it may feel out there on the wild, when you are trying tosurvive in the real world. It's like putting survival in a new perspective andwhat we would have to do.
    I say I'm enjoyingevery minute of this game. Ubi has hit a homerun with this game I think. It'sjust awesome. It can take hours riding a jetski, simply exploring waters aroundthe island. I'd say it's difficult now to find this experience in games rightnow.
    The story is, ofcourse, awesome too.
    I'd like howgamearena crafted it's take on this game. This review of the story is closer tomy experience than any other reviews I find so far.
    I'd say I still havelots of time left before I leave this game for a different one. It's simplyimmersing.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Thats... not really an SVD. Probably a Romanian copy.
    A bit late, but: Yeah, it's a PSL.