Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got it from GMG (with a discount code) but live in France. They sent me my key yesterday and started downloading it last night before 12, so they didn't really stick to the release date.

FYI GMG keys do not register with Steam. You have to use Capsule.

Network Hub
    Whats the gun play like?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Is this game thematically connected to a book, like Dr. Moreau and Heart of Darkness in its predecessors?

Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    I got it from GMG (with a discount code) but live in France. They sent me my key yesterday and started downloading it last night before 12, so they didn't really stick to the release date.

Ubisoft's game (mostly) don't use steam but they register on uPlay.
    Be prepared!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    How is the stealth,some explanation would be nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Is this game thematically connected to a book, like Dr. Moreau and Heart of Darkness in its predecessors?
    Just read a synopsis and I'm thinking (vaguely) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Ok, got a few more hours under my belt. It's so far very good (the only nitpick is the already mentioned oversized HUD).

Stealth is based on line of sight + visibility (you can hide in bushes and tall grass and still see them).
    You can equip silencer on a lot of weapons or use silent takedowns (there are several that you can learn - from behind, from above, from below, knife/gun/grenade takedown).
    Bow is hard to master (the only weapon with an arc) but satisfying.
    Fire propagation is even nicer than in FC2 (the jungle burns beautifully :))

Tried to wrestle with a shark, died. Respawned and shot it from the coast.
    Silently attacked a pirate outpost, was eaten by a tiger that ran by.

I found a first bug - if you change WSAD the controls for the hang glider are wrong (basically they stay WSAD unless you use one of the keys for something else than a movement).
    I use ESDF (more keys available) and can only turn to the right when flying. But it doesn't matter, I can still get wherever I want. :)

And I had my first crash after several hours of play + Alt+Tabbing a few times. Didn't really matter as it was right after a save.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    the animals in this game are ridiculous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    Looks like in the last paragraph he's talking about the writing in the database which is hilarious and obviously written by an older, somewhat bitter, conservative and sarcastic NPC you will meet later. That's another thing that surprised me positively. Even the entries for animals are fun to read.
    I think it's written by the same dick that writes AC's database.

The design document of this game was: AC sells a ton of copies so let's copy everything it does but in first person.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The interface is incredibly awful and the driving feels much worse than in FC2.
    I can't stand the minimap, it's showing too much - loot chests, plants, even the enemy position! Speaking of plants, I hate their highlighting.
    For the first time ever I had to increase the FOV to combat headaches. Default was 73 and I took it to 90. I don't mind games with lower FOVs but here the interface prompts are way too far inside the screen. Tunnel vision to the max! Unfortunately all cutscenes and interactive stuff like driving or climbing revert to the default FOV.
    I also can't stand the constant reminders of what my objective is. Every 60 seconds I'm reminded of what I have to do!
    Heh, like Bioshock all over again. Here's hoping there'll be .ini fixes for all this nonsense.

People hoping for less annoying patrols are in for a disappointment. They're just as annoying, with the added "bonus" of reinforcements coming over and over again.
    As far as I know they will stop coming completely in an area where you conquered one of their camps. Good enough for me.

Banned
    AAAHHHHH IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME.

Any clues when GETGAMES will send their codes out? I'd really like to get in on some preload action.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    Fire propagation is even nicer than in FC2 (the jungle burns beautifully :))
    SOLD!

Seriously, that's awesome. Though, due to my no-full-price-games-unless-it's-REALLY-important-you-know-like-Crusader-Kings-2 -policy it'll take some time... but sold, anyway.

Network Hub
    It bored me, all the stuff to do in the world feels like repetitive grind and it doesn't have that satisfying history link or fluid movement that games like Ass Creed has. I'm also bored by the story, it doesn't make me want to play through, has the worst characters you play as and the only good one is the crazy guy. The MP is also not worth mentioning, I mean all I wanted is open world online Coop and they failed to deliver that.

Overrated game tbh.

Go to Documents/My Games/Far Cry 3 and open the GamerProfile XML file to tweak the settings. You can turn off the horrible ambient occlusion, for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Any performance gains?

Yes, you'll gain a few frames and lose the shitty black borders. The AO implementation is bad, especially for SSAO.
    Alpha to Coverage (foliage antialiasing) doesn't seem to be too costly. You may want to drop AO and enable that instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Web series to go with the game is actually pretty fun to watch - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...k&feature=plcp

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Yes, you'll gain a few frames and lose the shitty black borders. The AO implementation is bad, especially for SSAO.
    Alpha to Coverage (foliage antialiasing) doesn't seem to be too costly. You may want to drop AO and enable that instead.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I've got it pretty much maxed out and it's not a bad looking game but it looks like someone smeared grease over anything 8ft away. It looks really weird.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post

Yes they do, registered my GMG skyrim just fine on steam.

Anyways, the game has been fun so far after messing around in my video settings to get it running smoothly without loosing video quality.

Only gripe I have so far is the stupid save system, you can't save when in missions and the checkpoint system drags you all the way back to the last spawn point, which can be very far from your objective.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 29-11-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Obscure Node
    I am making a totally wild guess after only a couple of hours of gameplay but after one obvious early sequence I got the feeling of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"