Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ehh, the game has kept me entertained for a day or so, but then I realised I was playing a single player MMO; a weak story driving the action, endless mundane quests to pad out the content and unengaging game mechanics. In fact it even screws up the MMO formula, it's shown me its full hand at what looks like not even half way through, leaving nothing to look forward to and the game mechanics to stagnate.

It's a... competent shooter I suppose, but thoroughly forgettable and I don't think I'll remember much of it in a week's time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Wait, wait.

Uplay?

XP?

Seeing enemies on the hud?

Classes? With floating tags?

So very glad I saved my money. Won't be buying Cryrim: Far Creed 3.
    My overriding sense playing the game so far is: 'Oh they nicked that from Assassin's Creed as well'. Seriously, you climb radio towers to reveal the map and take down enemy strongholds too. The gunplay and prettyness is good though I guess.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Quicksave and load? Finally, I will be able to unlock the "Quieter sneaking" ability! Seems a bit odd in an open-world game to have it locked behind a depletable resource... which is made easier with the ability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The immersion factor is 0. It's annoying how artificial it feels. It's more artificial than a Bethesda RPG.
    You cannot imagine how bad I felt when I detonated a C4 next to an oxygen tank and the tank didn't explode. Also in 12 hours I never managed to detonate an ammo pile. And the fire was nerfed. Far Cry 2 felt a lot more reactive.
    I also rarely feel in danger. Far Cry 2 was non-stop paranoia and every fight had the potential to go awfully wrong... FC3 feels safe.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    I'm really glad I decided to wait and hear what players had to say about the game. The article on the site had me all excited, thinking it would be Far Cry 2 with even more survival elements added...but wow, seems that was as far from the truth as could be.

Banned
    Ignore the haters the game is FUN.

It is not without it flaws, but then so are most diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    I'm really glad I decided to wait and hear what players had to say about the game. The article on the site had me all excited, thinking it would be Far Cry 2 with even more survival elements added...but wow, seems that was as far from the truth as could be.
    problem is far cry 2 had so much hate directed towards it, so ubi had to make this one more videogamey.

I almost bought into the hype too, but I've decided never to buy a game day 1 if it is from a big publisher with big marketing dollars.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Some people claim that closing GPU monitoring software (EVGA Precision etc) removes stuttering.
    I also noticed it but I have a Fermi GPU and if I turn Precision off I'll die in a fire.
    I didn't have any monitoring software running, if I did I still wouldn't know if that is the cause as it's already uninstalled, not going to waste my time on chores and bars.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I was lamenting the age of my machine after hearing the initial praise, but the gameplay I've seen hasn't really meshed with the reviews I've read. Particularly: marked enemies, silhouetted when they're totally obscured by cover. I don't know what that's about, but it's not for me. What happened to listening to determine enemy positions? The premise is good and the world looks fun to explore, but I'm a little wary of falling for sandboxes filled with social mini-games after Sleeping Dogs, where every activity felt like a discreet mini-game, as often as not with shit mechanics barely deserving of the word play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I was lamenting the age of my machine after hearing the initial praise, but the gameplay I've seen hasn't really meshed with the reviews I've read. Particularly: marked enemies, silhouetted when they're totally obscured by cover.
    You can turn that off. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the obnoxious quest markers and map waypoints for every single collectible in the game.

I don't think any game has ever made me jump the way that alligator attack did, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    The fire is a lot more pathetic than in far cry 2, it refuses to spread the vast majority of the time.
    I threw 5 molotovs in a grassy field full of enemies and all 5 patches of fire died out within 10seconds and didn't spread.
    Naturally. You're fighting in a jungle, not a dried out savannah. Green vegetation is notoriously hard to burn. You can get an inferno going if you use the flamethrower and start enough fires, but since the AI is a lot better at running away from burning things it's rarely worth it.
    Where it does work is enemy camps. Buildings go up like matchwood, so strategic use of molotovs, flares, flamethrowers or burning arrows can work wonders at flushing them out of cover or generally herding them into a killing zone (had a great time at the lumber camp setting it ablaze and watching the guards rush to a waiting tiger). Molotovs tend to be best employed against vehicles.
    Other good use is hunting. Once you set the wildlife on fire it'll run around in a panic until it dies, which makes it a lot easier to avoid death by a hundred komodos. Also burning the long grass can make their corpses easier to find when you want to skin them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    What's the co-op like? Is it full scale open world with more players, or a separate campaign?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You can turn that off. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the obnoxious quest markers and map waypoints for every single collectible in the game.

I don't think any game has ever made me jump the way that alligator attack did, though.
    Assuming I'm thinking of the same place, the game spoiled that one for me. Looking down at the water my crosshair turned red, several machinegun bullets later the log updated with a new type of enemy killed.

I've been giving the game another chance, stealth was drop-dead boring (too bloody easy and the stealth mechanics are stupid), so I'm playing it like a total bloody psychopath this time. Simply going apeshit on everything is significantly more entertaining.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Ignore the haters the game is FUN.
    This! Spent all day with it yesterday and it has really surprised me. It's also really hard to stop playing, as I found out at about 5am this morning. Very much a case of "well, I'll just go to this last radio tower. Oh, that's uncovered an outpost to capture, it's really close so I may as well. Oh, that's in the area of some animals I need to hunt" etc.

I'm curious, what kind of machines are you guys running this on? I was worried mine wouldn't be up to it, but I was really surprised to see it run super smooth at max settings on an old 8800gts oO

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    What's the co-op like? Is it full scale open world with more players, or a separate campaign?
    Separate campaign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The enemy animations are almost as good as in Rage. It's so satisfying to see their bodies twitching when I fill them with bullets at close range!

Network Hub
    Has anyone played the Lost Expedition dlc yet? It makes me really glad I didn't spend an extra 10 on the deluxe edition for all the dlc. One corridor environment I have to rush through because of a time limit without any context and another environment that involves finding objects in 2 rooms (spoiler I guess: It's Abstergo stuff) while listening to the character make really OOC quotes and game references. :/

I am having fun with this game. I have just played the first mission that Willis gives you. Hilarious, amazing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Naturally. You're fighting in a jungle, not a dried out savannah. Green vegetation is notoriously hard to burn. You can get an inferno going if you use the flamethrower and start enough fires, but since the AI is a lot better at running away from burning things it's rarely worth it.
    Where it does work is enemy camps. Buildings go up like matchwood, so strategic use of molotovs, flares, flamethrowers or burning arrows can work wonders at flushing them out of cover or generally herding them into a killing zone (had a great time at the lumber camp setting it ablaze and watching the guards rush to a waiting tiger). Molotovs tend to be best employed against vehicles.
    Other good use is hunting. Once you set the wildlife on fire it'll run around in a panic until it dies, which makes it a lot easier to avoid death by a hundred komodos. Also burning the long grass can make their corpses easier to find when you want to skin them.
    Really?
    It's a game... noone cares about 'realism' or whatever stupid rationalisation one might have for something not working well.

Network Hub
    No. After 5 hours I can say that this is a bastard child of FarCry2, Red Faction and Just Cause.

Boring. Semi sand box with constant mission nudges

Random feeling crafting system

oh and DAT MINIMAP!