Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 282
  1. #261
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I believe by this argument, PacMan isn't a game, as the ghosts are entirely deterministic - ie. if you move the same way with the same timing every play-through, the ghosts will too.
    Only if you avoid the power pills, as ghost movement in "frightened" state is pseudo-random and doesn't follow a predetermined behaviour.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  2. #262
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,686
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    A hint of things I find interesting can be found here: http://boardgamearena.com
    That's the thing. To me people saying "if you want to tell a story, why not just read a book instead?" is akin to me going "if you want a mechanical game, why not play a board game instead?"

  3. #263
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I certainly didn't vote you into the council of writing quality affairs. Speak for yourself instead of turning your opinion into a universal measurement scale.
    If games journalists is all the argument of autority you can come up with, them you already lost...

  4. #264
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    That's the thing. To me people saying "if you want to tell a story, why not just read a book instead?" is akin to me going "if you want a mechanical game, why not play a board game instead?"
    That's a false equivalence, board games only have turn based mode, where computer games have real time. and story is not a mechanic, its often just a reward for progression...

  5. #265
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I can make games in my spare time. I made some maps for DooM and Quake 2, a gameplay mod to Hexen, Neuroshima Hex(boardgame) etc. You can find my ideas in games like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (for instance Inner Flame spell, amulet of Guardian Spirit, rebalance of dracionians). I have lots of ideas of my own, but even when I make something it's not going to be something you would enjoy. A hint of things I find interesting can be found here: http://boardgamearena.com
    If for some reason you are assuming and suggesting I wouldn't be interested in board games, I love board games.

    I don't know where you get the idea I wouldn't like them from.

  6. #266
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    That's a false equivalence, board games only have turn based mode, where computer games have real time. and story is not a mechanic, its often just a reward for progression...
    Besides the fact that even relatively simple turn-based PC games are often vastly more complex than you could reasonably manage as a board game, whereas game narratives tend to be much simpler than book narratives.

  7. #267
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by baboonanza View Post
    Besides the fact that even relatively simple turn-based PC games are often vastly more complex than you could reasonably manage as a board game, whereas game narratives tend to be much simpler than book narratives.
    And the games with complex narratives tend to be soft on the game system aspects. Betrayal at Krondor is the game with the best storie around that manage to have a fun game in between, even though they sacrificed gameplay aspects like character classes, locked exploration based on chapters and the like. It's quite telling that one game with the most praised story its the "push button to next reward" to the moon...

  8. #268
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    That only 10% players finish games - if this number is true - is a statement of the sorry state of "game" industry. They have degenerated. Many modern "games" are simply crap and not fun to play. The article quoted above, the one with Gay Monopoly, says it much better than I can. Just because some "games" are newer than others doesn't mean they're better.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post225700
    Alternatively...

    http://www.1up.com/features/gonna-finish

    People have got way less time on there hands these days and there's much more variety in terms of the activities they can be doing.

    Personally with work/commute/lifestyle etc I'm lucky if I get more than a couple of hours of 'me' time on an evening to play a game/catch up on TV shows, or read a book, and the latter are a lot easier to do Vs the former given the physical demands aren't as great (you've got to be in the mood to game after all..playing when your tired/fatigued is the worst thing). Last night for instance I played probably an hour of Digital: A love story, before crashing out with BBCs Supersized earth for an episode and then wound down reading a bit more Cloud Atlas.

    Weekends sure offer a lot more opportunity for long session gaming, but that's not gauranteed. I'd say a 8-12 hour game will probably keep me occupied as a 'project' for a good week and a bit. A 30 hour game probably 3-4 weeks. As far a big projects go to play I'm a fair way through HM:A & I have Farcry 3 to get into at some point. Christmas through to Feb provides a nice window of opportunity to catch up on some titles as well as finish off some uncompleted titles (TW2, DS are on the 'to finish' list).

    Despite my admiration of TWD will I replay it? There's a strong possibility over Christmas at some point if an opportunity presents itself. However I'm pretty confident that I'm unlikely to ever replay BM:AC, Dishonored, Borderlands 2 (DLC aside), Max Payne 3 or a bunch of other games I finished this year, because once the new titles start appearing like Tom Raider in March there simply won't be the time for that sort of indulgent backtracking.

    If you're the kind of person who has the freetime to religiously replay Halflife every year for instance, more power to you. However I'd say you're an outlier Vs the rest of us.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 07-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  9. #269
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    If games journalists is all the argument of autority you can come up with, them you already lost...
    Well, so far I haven't.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  10. #270
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    board games only have turn based mode
    Call of Duty Real-Time Card Game
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  11. #271
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Card games are not board games, get your definitions straight...

    I think i have a theory out of my ass why there is so much negligency today towards gameplay and not story. The thing is, most people prefer to watch games instead of play them(see major mainstream non software games such as soccer, b-ball,etc...), so this somehow broke into games with set-pieces, lots of cutscenes, more easy games,rise of lets play, etc...

  12. #272
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Card games are not board games, get your definitions straight...
    So despite being played with moving pieces on a playing board it's not a board game because movement and actions are card-based? I can't even begin to count all the games that would like to have a serious word with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    I think i have a theory out of my ass
    Well, that explains a lot.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  13. #273
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Card games are not board games, get your definitions straight...
    I suspected you'd say that.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31481/galaxy-trucker
    Last edited by Berzee; 07-12-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  14. #274
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    You can't deny that sports games have more spectators than players though.

  15. #275
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    You can't deny that sports games have more spectators than players though.
    That's because a Formula 1 race with 22 spectators and 154 million drivers wouldn't be a Formula 1 race but evening rush hour. ;)
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  16. #276
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    That's because a Formula 1 race with 22 spectators and 154 million drivers wouldn't be a Formula 1 race but evening rush hour. ;)
    It *would* be pretty fun to set up some bleachers next to a congested highway and pick out cars to cheer for, though.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  17. #277
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    That's because a Formula 1 race with 22 spectators and 154 million drivers wouldn't be a Formula 1 race but evening rush hour. ;)
    Formula 1 is a elite sport,so yeah. But even in mainstream and easy acessible sports such as soccer or b-ball, the ratio of spectators/players(amateurs or pros) are favorable to spectators... that's not really the case with eletronic games though, until now...

  18. #278
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    It *would* be pretty fun to set up some bleachers next to a congested highway and pick out cars to cheer for, though.
    Only with a BAC of 0.1%.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  19. #279
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Formula 1 is a elite sport,so yeah. But even in mainstream and easy acessible sports such as soccer or b-ball, the ratio of spectators/players(amateurs or pros) are favorable to spectators... that's not really the case with eletronic games though, until now...
    ... outside of South Korea.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  20. #280
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,329
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    That's a false equivalence, board games only have turn based mode, where computer games have real time. and story is not a mechanic, its often just a reward for progression...
    Not even all board games. There are prominent real-time board games:
    - Jungle Speed
    - Ouga Bouga
    - Spot It

    Some are technically turn-based, but still in real time.
    - Polarity
    - Jenga

    Quote Originally Posted by baboonanza View Post
    Besides the fact that even relatively simple turn-based PC games are often vastly more complex than you could reasonably manage as a board game, whereas game narratives tend to be much simpler than book narratives.
    I disagree. Or, it depends what you have in mind. A common example of "a complex computer game" is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Sure, it is complicated as far as the number of tokens goes and number of units. However, the game doesn't have a high learning curve. That's what made it popular in the first place. There are many no-brainers and false choices:

    - would you rather cast Expert Bloodlust, a level 1 spell which will give all your units +6 attack skill against everyone, or pay more mana for a level 4 Slayer, which at expert level will only grant +8 attack for ONE unit and only against level7 units ?
    - would you rather use your 20 crystals to upgrade cyclops dwelling, or build the behemoth lair ?
    - would you rather learn Logistics or Estates ? Eagle Eye or Offense ?
    - what use can you find for the spells: Hypnotize, Inferno, Landmine, Sorrow(you have to be bad at math to value this spell), Misfortune ?

    When balance in a game is as terrible as in Heroes 3, you suddenly realize a lot of choices the game presents you with are obvious. They don't make a good strategy game. Contrast this to something like the board game "Seasons" (playable for free at http://boardgamearena.com ). In Seasons, you get meaningful decisions every single turn. There are only 2 stinkers out out 50 cards: Balance of Ishtar and Idol of the Familiar.

    The bottom line: it's the number of viable, meaningful decisions possible that matters, not all theoretical decisions. I can dismiss my hero on turn 1. Would I ?

    -----------

    What annoys me in computer strategy games is they hide so many numbers from you. Some board games are very nice to play on computers, because they do the tedious work for you (such as shuffling cards very often in Dominion, or moving score markers in Seasons). Later computer strategy games not only simplify and shorten things, they also hide from you and I hate it. For example, how does the Sacrifice spell work in Heroes III ?

    Quote Originally Posted by in-game description
    Destroys a friendly creature group in order to resurrect a dead group. Number of resurrected creatures depends on the caster's spell power and the health of the destroyed stack.
    Oh really ? Depends - how ? Descriptions like this have misled countless people into thinking Sacrifice is a bad spell. Sacrifice a unit to revive another one ? What a joke ! However, when some digging reveals the formula is:

    Resurrected HP = (Spell Power + sacrificed_creature_base_HP + 0/3Basic/6Advanced/10Expert) * number_of_creatures_sacrificed

    You start thinking, and realize the bonus of spell power and Fire Magic skill is the highest when used on numerous low-level creatures.Good luck figuring that out with the in-game description. How about sacrificing Imps to resurrect a week worth of Archdevils (2) ?


    Turn 1: Frenzy on Archdevils. Attack enemy Archangels. All archangels die in a single attack. Enemy units gang up on Archdevils and kill them. Turn 2: cast Sacrifice. Use your Imps, resurrect all Archdevils. Mop up.
    pass

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •