Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found

Hardy har(d)ware and graphical computations!

So... what are people running GW2 on/at these days?

AMD FX8350 8 core
    16 gb ram
    SSD
    G9 270X
    1920x1200 glorious pixels
    and these settings...
    gw2 gfx.jpg
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    But no Vsync?
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    So... what are people running GW2 on/at these days?
    In my case, you don't want to know. I've seriously seen toasters with more computational power than my pc.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Either my 3 (4?) year old desktop with a half decent CPU but lacking in the graphics and Ssd departments, or occasionally my integrated graphics laptop that is fine for daily logins but sounds like if is about to take off if I actually try to play on it.
    Was thinking about treating myself to a new gaming pc as a spending redundancy money treat for getting a new job, but that was the ipad. If I were to do so, where would you recommend getting a decent rig from given I have no time or inclination to do anything more technical than plug in a graphics card.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    In my case, you don't want to know. I've seriously seen toasters with more computational power than my pc.
    Yes we do! Hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    Moneybags wants new rig
    Well... alienware i think is still ok otherwise overclockers.co.uk - you don't need to get an overclocked one but for money etc it's likely to get you a very good box.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Network Hub
    2500K @ 4.5
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
    Gigabyte 970 G1, (SLI)
    4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X @ 1600
    128/256gb Samsung 830 SSD's
    1/1/2/3tb HDD's
    EVGA G2 850W
    Sound Blaster Z
    Coolermaster Cosmos 2

And it's not enough to run GW2 at 60 fps. Optimisation, what is that?
    Steam: Crux

Overclockers UK is where I buy my bits now-a-days and they sell gaming rigs to order. Might be worth a look.

My system which is quite new, only about 4 months old if that:

i7 4970K (4GHz x 4 cores and 8 streams)
    ASRock Extreme 6 mobo
    16GB HyperX Beast kingston RAM (2x8GB, 1600)
    Plextor M6e M.2 PCI-E SSD (256GB) This runs over the PCI-E bands not SATA so is a bit quicker, I value my load times. Reads at 770MB/s
    Nvidia GTX670...I think.
    Dual 24inch monitors (1080)
    Lots of normal HDDs
    Antec P193 case

EDIT: oh and run everything at Max but I turn it down a little when recording.
    Last edited by Ravbek; 16-04-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Cybek - Asura - Mesmer -- Kybek - Human - Necro -- Ravbek the Char Ranger, (also, Soubek, Xybek, Feybek)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    But no Vsync?
    I have never figured out what Vsync does and if it should be on or off.

SweetFX provides me with anti-aliasing and a small amount of sharpening. I usually turn on vsync because I really, really don't like screen tearing.

Specs of interest:

Intel Core i5 4690K (cooled by a Noctua NH-U12S)
    Nvidia GTX 970
    8GB RAM
    SSD of never large enough capacity.
    2x Dell U2415 (1920x1200) IPS displays*

*Inevitable question: The donkey is from Dota 2. It's adorable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I have never figured out what Vsync does and if it should be on or off.
    For me it eliminates screen tearing. Not sure if that's an issue specific to certain cards.

Edit: oh and in the process it caps FPS, which can be useful for some games which try to run at 500FPS and fry my graphics card.
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 16-04-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    For me it eliminates screen tearing. Not sure if that's an issue specific to certain cards.

Edit: oh and in the process it caps FPS, which can be useful for some games which try to run at 500FPS and fry my graphics card.
    Don't think i've ever seen screen tearing so never have it on.

Vsync, yeah gets rid of tearing which I had as a problem in a number of games but what it does for lower level systems is to make it feel like you are running around in glue lol. Unless you turn down the settings.

Screen tearing for those who don't know is when you move the camera/view from left to right quickly, some of the screen will update faster than the rest, what this looks like is bands across the screen where it doesn't line up...it's generally quickly fixed but our eye register it and it's annoying.
    Cybek - Asura - Mesmer -- Kybek - Human - Necro -- Ravbek the Char Ranger, (also, Soubek, Xybek, Feybek)

Network Hub
    Vsync tends to have a hit on performance and cause input lag. Blizzard games seem to be an exception for some reason, there you get something like mini stutter with vsync off.

As for fps limiting, you shouldn't use vsync for that for the reasons stated above (assuming there is no tearing). Tools like Nvidia Inspector and such have functions for fps limiters.
    Steam: Crux

This thread makes me sad and reminds me just how much I need a new machine.
    Usually running one of my "Moonspell" norns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    Moneybags wants new rig
    You sir are very rude.

But essentially correct
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moony View Post
    This thread makes me sad and reminds me just how much I need a new machine.
    Same here. I was so excited when I got my shiny new PC, having followed the advice of a store attendant and bought one that can supposedly deliver good performance cheaply. Turns out, an R7 260X delivers neither of those.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Not all games suffer from tearing. I used to have it on always by default, but have noticed lately that most games are fine with VSync OFF.

As for the system:

• i7-2700K @ 3.5Ghz (4x2 cores)

• Gigabyte mobo with dual boot and custom OS (for system failures)

• 32GB RAM

• Win 7x64 in and SSD, games on a regular 1TB 5400RPM disk, another 500MB disk for video projects storage.

• Monitor HPZR24W (1920x100, IPS, 24"), looking to change as soon as 21:9 100Hz 1440p curved IPS monitors are available. I really want to get into 21:9, both for games and productivity.

• GeForce 770 4GB. Won't upgrade until the new architecture comes along next year, and only if it can push the new monitor past 80FPS on high settings.

• Onboard sound is surprisingly good for reproduction (I'm an audio nerd), so I hook my HiFiMan HE500 to a custom amplifier and that to the mobo.

• Playing with an Razer mamba (used to do with a Logitech mx510, awesome mouse. Moved to the naga because I am using my mouse ambidextrously, not that young any more and I want to avoid carpal) and and Orbweaver, which I really like. I hate paying for the branding, tho, Logitech is the sweet performance/price spot for mostly any peripheral IMO.

• X-55 Rhino and Logitech G-27 where appropiate.

• 10/100 MB cable connection

Sounds like much, but it's amazing the kind of money you can save when you're not into pubs, football (but train MA regularly, tho), tobacco or fashion (and don't have kids). The wife is kind and doesn't nag me, so I can afford to focus all of my vice pocket money on just this computer. Also, I use it for work, so I sort of have an excuse too. Compiling and transconding are bliss here.

Also, saving for retirement. :/
    Last edited by zanchito; 16-04-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD7670

The first month or so I played GW2 (I've played for 81 days now), things ran just fine on the default settings (not sure if they get auto-adjusted for your system when you first run the game), I didn't even get lag at boss events, but then it started getting slower and slower so I've had to turn the settings down and it doesn't really seem to help much (unless I really turn them down, but then things start to look a bit too horrible).

Not sure what they are doing, but especially if I run into an AoE effect that covers the screen (due to camera angle) things really slow down now. It's like they've changed something to do with particles or something.

Is there a recommended AMD graphics driver? I've looked on the net, but it seems like all the threads about it are one or two years old. So either that means nothing helps or the more recent ones work fine...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I would tell you, but, as I can't turn my PC on at the moment, I can't.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Shuttle SX58J
    i7 - 960 @ 3.2Ghz
    12Gb RAM
    Samsung 850 Pro (now)
    Win 7x64
    Monitor Dell U2412
    AMD Radeon 7770 800Mhz
    I'm using the onboard sound as it's good enough
    On the periphery, Logitech G502; Coolermaster Trigger; Turtlebeach Z60
    Last edited by hawksbane; Yesterday at 11:05 AM.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane