Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Successful impromptu L36 frac yesterday. I learned that I don't play guard in fracs nearly as comfortably as warrior... Uncategorised, Ascalon, Reactor,Maw - pretty good draw. Skipping harpies through stealth was a good tactic but we need a bit more practice to get all 5 party members up consistently.
    L40 is looking quite close now. Better start looking at upping the AR to 55.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    gah, i'm still only lvl 33 and only just got my AR to 42. I'll need a few more fractal runs before I start running lvl 40+
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It'd a good point Hawks - the jump to L40 (AR55 recommended) moves past the point where trinkets alone can do the job, so you need to do at least two of ascended weapons, ascended armour, infused backpiece or high level infusion combination all of which can be very expensive.
    42 though -so you've combined infusions to get an AR7 one? I was trying to hold off to get an AR10 one but thats over 100 runs of 4 fractals a time to get...
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Indeed I have, the general plan is to use 5 x +7 infusions and a +5 on the backpiece, that gives 40AR, and space with infused stuff for another 10/15 (if you have an infused backpiece) before heading into weapons and armour - if of course we can put the +7 AR in any slot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sorry to scupper your plan but the AR infusions other than the simple +5 ones can only go in the extra slots on infused rings and backpieces, so you can only use 3 of them (at least until they allow us to infuse amulets and trinkets, which I expect to come when they roll out any new fractal levels above 50).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Hmm, i didn't know that either, not that it really matters with only level 13 on bjornsson atm. "Entertaining" that my first ascended item drop is the zerker ring (ring of red death) - that I already have on both lvl 80's and wasn't strictly part of the plan to make the guardian a zerking one... We shall see of course.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Still, I'd rather go for infusing rings (and maybe the backpiece) for the +10/15 AR. Infusions can be bought from the TP and going with +7 or +8 should still be less expensive than Ascended crafting (especially with the hilariously overpriced armor mats).

Edit: Nevermind, re-read Xanadu's post. Bullshit move, as usual.
    Last edited by Squiz; 12-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.

I'm hoping they re-evaluate that decision in the future. I don't really understand why AR infusions are so expensive on the TP when you can only put them in 3 slots. I would also expect the ability to infuse other items in the future as well. Also the back-piece can be broken so dangerous to rely to heavily on that for AR, especially as having 2 infused back pieces would be the height of luxury.

I guess we'll see though.

To be honest, I don't think that the AR infusions are that expensive (+8 AR only costs something like ~15g if you put up a buying order) if you compare them to what you would pay to a) level a crafting profession to 500 and b) craft a set of weapons or - god forbid - a set of armor. Right now more people are running low level Fractals than the more challenging (i.e., level 40+) ones, so demand is expected to be quite low.

Presumably ideally also infuse the ring n backpiece before putting in more expensive infusions...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Good point Monkey. Yet another idiotic way to push players to shell out for Upgrade Extractors on the gem store. Your best bet is to calculate what Fractal level you can see yourself playing at in the future, calculate the needed AR and then work towards that goal.

Yeah, they were a very nifty addition tbh - alongside the trait reset tokens - but no price point so the ludicrous gem cost for them is shrugged at and accepted.

Separately:
    If I wanted to make a ascended back piece - do I actually need the blood to make a zerker one or can I (and I ask because my google searches are mixed) make a different one (cheaper mats) where i can choose the stats? Otherwise that's 100g on blood mats... Jeez louise

Random q - what happens if you're at say 31 and you join a 34 and survive - do you go up to 32? Do you get to skip the added bonus fun of whatever extra joy is at 32?

@question 1: You have to use the specific recipe. Possibly, crafting "There with Yakkington" could be less expensive than the straight Zerker recipe (it lets you choose the stats because it is one of the old MF items).

@question 2: You only get to advance one level.

Edit: The TwY book has a defensive infusion slot though (whereas the Zerker one has an offensive one), so that might be something to keep in mind as well.

Editē: What do you mean with "no price point" in your post above, Monkey?
    Last edited by Squiz; 12-02-2014 at 02:23 PM.

"All omni infusions include agony resistance. These can be added to any type of infusion slot". - basic ar infusion is omni... so yes I can make a zerker back item with a mat that costs 35ish rather than 40 but given you are buying 250 of them it would help - to the tune of 13 gold...

Of course [advancing only 1] but given I've been hearing from you guys that some of the extra effects are harder to deal with that others - is it perhaps worth dodging some... Doing 34 twice on your way up rather than trawling through 33 [if it was horrendous] - I am not linking these to any particular levels btw - merely asking a general question.

edit: ahhh but i can't use bloodstone dust to make the book it would appear says google.
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 12-02-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: new info

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Cost of infused berserker's backpiece: ~215g
    Cost of 500 armorsmithing: 74g
    Cost of one piece of heavy ascended armor: 55-70g

I have trouble following your train of thoughts. What you asked was if you can get Zerker stats by using a recipe that doesn't include blood. Answer: Yes, Yakkington's book. You're correct that you can use standard infusions in any of them, but I guess it could be of potential interest to consider slot "orientation" (offensive, defensive, utility) too.

Yes, you can skip certain instabilities by partying with someone who opens a Fractal of a higher level than the one at which the particular instability occurs.

Yakkington saves you 10g.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Cost of infused berserker's backpiece: ~215g
    Cost of 500 armorsmithing: 74g
    Cost of one piece of heavy ascended armor: 55-70g
    Such a comparison should take into account the possibility to infuse rings as well. Also, infused backpieces would currently provide more space for AR than a piece of armor. Finally, heavy armor is less expensive than light armor.
    Last edited by Squiz; 12-02-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added "currently"

Well I can't calculate everything for you. He's not bringing the necro into fractals, is he?