Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

It's almost time - Top 10 games of the year?

Well, we're coming into December now, and I'm starting to think about writing my top 10 games of the year. I've not played perhaps as many games as I should have this year - so I'm putting it wide, What have you enjoyed? what are your games of the year? what might I have missed? So far I want to include: Crusader Kings 2, FTL, Max Payne 3, Walking Dead, X-Com..

What am I missing? [I bounced off dishonoured and Planetside 2, so..]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I am not even sure whether I actually played 10 games this year. Not counting older games I reinstalled, obviously, since they aren't from 2012.

Mass Effect 3
    - I don't care about the public opinion, I had a genuinely great time, I laughed, angrily shaked fists and shed some manly tears.
    XCOM - hard to compare to ME3 since they are just too different from each other. Both were great in their own ways.
    Endless Space - just one more turn.

(bought but not played yet - Legend Of Grimrock, Dishonored, The Witcher 2, Torchlight 2, Giana Sisters... work, other hobbies and social life keep getting in the way)
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I'm horrified by the small number of games I've played this year. I replayed Psychonauts, and then I played Braid, and then Dishonored, and that was it. But since old games don't count then I can only do a top 1 game of the year. And the award goes to...

Dishonored.

There's always Hotline Miami. Seems like Cactus' best game so far. And oh god, the music is just fantastic, there
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I can't believe I forgot that. Not sure if it'll rank highly in my Top 10, but I think it'll definitely be included because it's a really pure gaming experience, a bit like my love for the inital geometry wars, back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The Walking Dead - GoTY ..just play it

Sleeping Dogs - a surprisingly robust sandbox game that I had a lot more fun with than I thought I would.

X-COM - extremely engaging and great fun

Dark Souls - tough as coffin nails and unrelenting in terms of challenge. I don't think I've played a game like it that's given my adrenal glands as much of a workout as DS.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I was just thinking about this annual list earlier this morning. I'll give a more comprehensive account later, but right now I already know that it'll definitely include Crusader Kings II, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Banned
    Really?/10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Mass Effect 3 - Awesome, awesome game. Good way to finish the franchise IMO.
    Wargame: European Escalation - Better then World in Conflict - my new favorite strategy game this side of Age of Empires.

As it stands, I haven't played any other game from 2012 (I do own Fall of the Sumurai, but haven't played it thoroughly yet), so my favorite list is rather short.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Natural Selection 2 might not be GOY, but certainly deserves to be in a top ten.

Answering a slightly different question, but here's my prediction for the RPS 12 Games of Christmas as I couldn't see the point of starting another thread for that.

XCOM
    Dishonored
    Far Cry 3
    Hotline Miami
    FTL
    The Walking Dead
    Crusader Kings 2
    Dark Souls
    Day Z (edit: yeah, definitely this too)
    PlanetSide 2
    Guild Wars 2
    Borderlands 2

I reckon the top 8 down to Dark Souls are certainties but things get more speculative below that.

Outsider longshot: Tribes: Ascend, which would be my pick though I suspect the consensus of the RPS hivemind will more likely be PS2 over Tribes for a FTP manshooter.
    I could see Torchlight 2 sneaking in there too, maybe.

My own most enjoyed this year: Hotline Miami, Tribes, XCOM, The Walking Dead. I suspect I'm going to love Dishonored and Far Cry 3 but I'm not buying them until I've cleared a lot more of my backlog next year.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 29-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.

This year, hmmmm:
    Guild Wars 2
    Mark of the Ninja
    Borderlands 2
    Orcs Must Die 2
    Torchlight 2
    Firefall (been enjoying it although it hardly qualifies as a complete game yet)
    Legend of Grimrock

It's a giant party of the 2's.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    PES2013 would be best contender for my best game of year. Tried majority of big titles and wasn't impressed that really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    What I loved this year:

Dishonored - I'm still loving it, actually. I'm probably 2/3 done, and it's excellent. Scratching a similar itch that Deus Ex HR did, but I like the setting and the world-building quite a bit more.

XCOM - Awesome TBS game. It felt modern and (pretty) polished. Satisfying when things go well and heartbreaking when they don't.

Black Mesa - Lovingly created, completely derivative and fairly uncreative, nostalgic trip, very well done.

FTL - This was completely unique in my experience. A story generator second only to...

Crusader Kings II - This one kind of blew me away. I admit that I yearn for a bit more Total War in the combat, but it really is the only place to go for trumped-up fake charges against your selfish, fat, inept older son, who gets confined to a prison cell so that his capable younger brother can take over, only to have the youngster die of some horrible Medieval something or other and the fat, inept, older, and now angrier son must be cleared and given titles and then you must become him and play as him.

Borderlands 2: Still killing my way through it. It's sunk its hooks in deep. Hey what's that blue thing over there!?

Towns: Inexplicably compelling, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

What I didn't love at all:

Diablo III - I really tried to like it. Benefit of the doubt and all that. But the fifth time the game lagged out I found my self inexplicably dead when it re-synched ... in singleplayer, I alt-F4'd and uninstalled. Fuck that game. I feel like they stole my money.

Counterstrike GO: I don't know what I expected, but this didn't grab me.

I must be forgetting something...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've not played 10 games this year. That said, what I have played and enjoyed (that I'm sure was from 2012!):

Torchlight 2
    Borderlands 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Orcs Must Die 2
    Crusader Kings 2 (need to play a LOT more of this)

things that look promising but that I've not had a chance to play (though I've bought most of them):

Anno 2070
    Scourge of War Chancellorsville
    Drox Operative
    Conquest of Elysium 3
    Legend of Grimrock
    X-Com
    FTL

Space reserved for things I inexplicably forgot on first posting this:

I'm sure I'll enjoy Assassin's Creed 3 more than I probably should, it's my guilty pleasure franchise

If expansion packs count, I've been very impressed with what Arcen have done with AI War: Ancient Shadows.

For that matter, I really enjoyed A Valley Without Wind, and have high hopes for the (free) sequel
    Last edited by vinraith; 29-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Stuff that is definitely up there for me (in no particular order)

XCOM
    Crusader Kings 2
    The Walking Dead
    FTL
    Mass Effect 3 (the ending was a bit mince but I enjoyed the ride)
    Botanicula
    Stacking (it only came out on PC this year if I remember rightly)

Stuff that might be up there when I buy it or have time to play it properly

Dishonoured
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3
    Hotline Miami
    Resonance

Also if we're playing the "guess the RPS games of Christmas game" I reckon that 30 Flights of Loving will almost certainly be on there (I didn't really get on with it myself, it was OK but I thought Gravity Bone worked a lot better) and Rayman "Oranges" has an outside shot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Also if we're playing the "guess the RPS games of Christmas game" I reckon that 30 Flights of Loving will almost certainly be on there
    Yes good call.

I forgot Day Z too, which must be a banker for RPS' year-end list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Too many good games this year.

List draft 1 (no order)

Dark Souls
    Max Payne 3
    XCOM
    Chivalry
    Assassin's Creed 3
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
    Borderlands 2
    The Darkness 2
    Vessel
    Sleeping Dogs

This left out

Hotline Miami
    Dishonored
    I am Alive
    Binary Domain
    Natural Selection 2
    Anno 2070
    Quantum Conundrum

Probably some more

Too many good games this year
    Last edited by Giaddon; 30-11-2012 at 04:56 AM.