Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Really?/10char
    That's game of the year. This is top (10) games. Same ballpark, but different criteria.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Banned
    Ironically almost no one in that thread, including you, actually nominated just one title.

Games from 2012 that I have very much enjoyed:

Mark of the Ninja - One of the best stealth games I've ever played.

Natural Selection 2 - The ultimate RTS/FPS hybrid. Asymmetric sides play very differently to each other, and teamplay is required for victory.

Dishonored - Cracking atmosphere and superb action/stealth gameplay.

Borderlands 2
    - An explosive romp in co-op from start to finish.

Vessel - Very solid and clever puzzle platformer.

Mass Effect 3 - Emotional finish to the main story plus surprisingly decent multiplayer.

Quantum Conundrum - Relaxing portal-alike with interesting puzzles.

Day Z - Interesting and innovative gaming experiment. Players are more scary than the zombies!

I'm pretty sure Far Cry 3 would make it onto my list as well, but I may not get to play it before the year is out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Ironically almost no one in that thread, including you, actually nominated just one title.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post219357

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Having finished TWD Episode 5 I'm revising my vote.

TWD = GoTY
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

In no particular order:
    -Dishonored
    -Hotline Miami
    -The Walking Dead
    -Thomas was alone
    -Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    -Thirty Flights of Loving
    -Spec Ops: The Line

Not even 10 lol

Activated Node
    Uhh. Time seems to blend together, what came out since January?

In alphabetical order:

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Fun and visually stunning platformer, got stuck because the difficulty ramps up quickly)
    Guild Wars 2 (Fun for an mmorpg, though it has all of the problems that are inherent to mmorpgs, probably the last one I'll ever play)
    Lego Batman 2 (Silly fun, drags in some spots though)
    Scribblenauts Unlimited (I have never had so much fun screwing around in a game)

Started playing Dishonored, but haven't gotten far enough in to form an opinion.

My favorite game for this year would be Mass Effect 3. I love all the Mass Effect games and the third, while far from perfect, was ridiculously fun. Sometimes I ask myself, "If you had known how this game would end, would you still play it?" And, to be perfectly honest, the answer would undoubtedly be "yes". It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me shout f*** yeah! Can't ask for much more from any form of entertainment, IMHO. :)

Activated Node
    I don't think I can come up with 10 games I even particularly liked this year either, but here goes:

- Hotline Miami
    - Planetside 2
    - Legend of Grimrock
    - Natural Selection 2
    - The Walking Dead
    - DayZ? Do mods count?
    - Torchlight 2
    - Sleeping Dogs

I suppose I could add CS:GO too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Let's see ... what have I played this year that I remember ...

Skyrim, Arkham City, Legend of Grimrock (still going), Dishonored (still going), Dragon Age: Origins (finished it up this spring), Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR, Deus Ex, Gemeni Rue, Cave Story+, Sequence, DayZ, E.Y.E, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Bastion, Planetside 2, DOTA 2.

Of those, I'd rank them thusly:

1) Sequence
    2) Arkham City
    3) Portal 2 ( gets this high up for the co-op)
    4) Bastion
    5) Legends of Grimrock

Skyrim gets a dishonorable mention for being workman-like but not nearly interesting enough to be quite so massive as it is. Gemeni Rue gets an honorable mention for being awesome, as does Dota 2 for surprising me. Planetside pulls off MMO FPS nicely enough, so there's another nod. TF2 still installed after all this time, takes home a nice big prize as well. I reckon Dishonored could give Arkham City a run for it's money once I get a bit further, too. STALKER doesn't stand out too much since I played games I enjoyed more this year ... but it gets an all-time honorable mention as part of my collection at-large. Same with Dragon Age: Origins. E.Y.E. gets my nod for being one of the most bizarre pieces of shit I've ever played. I have no idea what it is, other than a mess ... but it's a damn fascinating mess. Finally, I'll give Botanicula a nod for being the most enticing thing I have that I haven't gotten around to yet.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Mods do count, especially in DayZ's case. I really enjoyed it for a while, then got bored and put it down, but i think it does still deserve a mention on my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Best games of 2012? Sure thing:

Crusader Kings 2
    Dishonored
    The Walking Dead
    Mark of the Ninja
    Legend of Grimrock
    Resonance
    Dark Souls
    FTL
    Guild Wars 2
    Black Mesa

As for the worst games I've played in 2012 (that was also released in 2012):
    Max Payne 3
    Mass Effect 3
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Ok. So the top of my list is now: .5) Frog Fractions.

Thanks, Tikey.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 30-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Max Payne 3 was one of the worse games of the year? It was one of my favourite!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

In no particular order of particular organisation of my liking of such particular games:

Crusader Kings 2

The Walking Dead

X-COM Enemy Unknown (but hell is it a buggy piece of crap)

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (FOOOOOOORRRRRRR THE ORRRRRRDEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR)

Guild Wars 2 (amazing combat for an MMO)

Dark Souls (need humanity)

Dishonoured

Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Max Payne 3 was one of the worse games of the year? It was one of my favourite!
    Different courses and all that. I found it tedious to the point of not finishing it. The never ending cutscenes and mopey story grated on my nerves. I'm capable of walking down a corridor on my own, and yet the game seemed to do that for me all the time. Also the obnoxious CRT TV screen filter they insisted on using drove me nuts.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I . . . just don't get frog fractions I'm afraid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I . . . just don't get frog fractions I'm afraid.
    Swim down once you get the turtle, below the screen.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Found some time this morning for a more descriptive post!

Of the games played and released in 2012, I especially liked:

Crusader Kings II - It took me a while to get into this, but some of the political manoeuvring and scheming that happens in this game beats the better written books on similar themes. The game is rough around the edges, I don't much care for the regional management, but it's been great fun to get back into this for a few hours every now and then.

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - Unlikely to attract new players to the game, this expansion instead gives existing and previous players more of the same good stuff. The continent of Pandaria is fun, some of the new additions like 3-man scenario's are excellent for a quick 30 minutes of WoW, and while I don't much care for the reputation-grinding, I've been having fun playing this these past two months!

FTL: Faster Than Light - It didn't have much longevity for me, but the few hours I played this were both interesting and enjoyable. Managing the crew of my ships, the ship itself was sometimes stressful, making the unlikely victories all the more satisfying. Definitely something to check out if you haven't already.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - There are bugs, and there are some design decisions I don't particularly like, but overall I've had great fun with this game. The turn-based sci-fi combat was oddly appealing in a way that other turn-based games not always are, and I quite enjoyed the base-building and political side of it as well. A game to play again on a harder difficulty setting sometime soon.

Hitman: Absolution - Is it different than earlier Hitman games? Yes. The small levels were my main source of disappointment, but overall I thought it was a satisfying game. I don't think I could complete this on the hardest difficulty without getting enormously frustrated, but found Normal to be quite nice. It wasn't overly hard, kept the pace up and was still quite tense at times. The storyline was a bit odd, perhaps too rushed, but I got a good grin out of some of the cut-scenes and conversations during the actual game.

Games I enjoyed that were bought and played in 2012, but released earlier:

Saint's Row the Third (2011) - Fun. Just fun. Crazy, silly, juvenile - all true, but still: fun! Once the the main storyline and some of the DLC missions were over I was pretty much done with the game, but it was a great roller-coaster ride all the way through.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011) - I don't think CDPR and I will ever agree on what makes combat fun, but for the rest: great game! I got really drawn into the atmosphere of this world, aided by being able to play with the Polish audio. I'd have liked more freedom to roam around and talk to people, but I suppose the sense of urgency behind the story made the lack of that acceptable. Recommended!

The Next BIG Thing (2011) - Fun little adventure game. I am quite bad at picking up the hints that are probably obvious to veterans of the genre, but I enjoyed it regardless. Quirky characters and fun dialogue in nicely created locations - a good mix.

Alpha Protocol (2010) - What a great game - but with very rough edges! Interesting conversations, fun characters, nice mission structure and actual consequences to your choices! Let's hope Obsidian's new project will finally give them the time to complete and polish up their product before it's released.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 30-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Revisor's 2012 top chart

1. Dishonored
    2. Tribes Ascend
    3. Far Cry 3
    4. Defender's Quest
    5. Sleeping Dogs
    6. Botanicula

Games I haven't played yet but expect to be up there:
    • Hotline Miami
    • Walking Dead
    • The Sea Will Claim Everything
    • Mass Effect 3
    • KOTOR 2 with Restored content

Activated Node
    There really hasnt been that many games that I have enjoyed this year.

The ones from this year would be:

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress (1 more turn)
    Crusader Kings2 (Complex and atmospheric)
    Waking Mars (Relaxing and atmospheric)
    Walking Dead (Great story)

I would like to try at some point:
    FTL
    Legend of Grimrock

Disappointments:
    ME3 (Almost as bad as 2)
    XCOM (Simplistic and short)
    Endless Space (dull and uninspired, apart from the UI)

Just my opinions :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    chivalry: Medieval warfare (fooooooorrrrrrr the orrrrrrdeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr)
    i tire of mead... I thirst... Fooooooooorrrr blllloooooooooooodddd!