Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Swim down once you get the turtle, below the screen.
    It gets ... like a billion times better.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    This year belonged to the smaller studios and Indies. The Walking Dead, Faster than Light, Hotline Miami, Day Z, Crusader Kings II, and The Legend of Grimrock should be on everybody's list.

When it comes to the bigger stuff, there wasn't much around that took my interest aside from Dark Souls and X-Com. Great games.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Ok. So the top of my list is now: .5) Frog Fractions.

Thanks, Tikey.
    My job here is done

*flies away*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Swim down once you get the turtle, below the screen.
    I did everything . . . I still didn't get it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I did everything . . . I still didn't get it though.
    Ah. In that case, perhaps there is no hope. ;)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Activated Node
    Dark Souls PC (so good I bought it twice, first time on the xbox)
    FTL
    Borderlands 2
    The Walking Dead
    Xcom
    Torchlight 2
    Trials Evolution (eek a xbox game! It's coming out on PC soon though)
    Dishonoured (although it was too short (yes, on very hard with all the aids off while sneaking))

Edit: Roughly in that order

Far Cry 3 is still an unknown as I've only played a couple of hours. It's crashed as many times so the games going to have to do well to raise my opinion of it.
    Last edited by popej; 30-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by popej View Post
    Dishonoured (although it was too short (yes, on very hard with all the aids off while sneaking))
    I'm doing that and in 10 hours I'm about halfway through it. I did repeat a section for about an hour until everything went exactly as I wanted it to go though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    1. NS2 miles ahead of anything else

2. portal 2
    3. xcom
    4. Alan wake (almost forgot this released in 2012)
    5.walking dead
    6.tribes: ascend
    7.planetside 2
    then a big quality gap to
    8. dishonored
    9.super monday night combat
    10. blands 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Ah. In that case, perhaps there is no hope. ;)
    The fake citizenship test thing was quite funny and the uninstall/reinstall laser targeting gag raised a hearty chuckle but apart from that if felt a bit like the third series of The Mighty Boosh when it went mostly shit.

Nothing I played that was released this year really thrilled me, other than Grimrock. I haven't had time for Dark Souls or Walking Dead, money for Dishono(u)red, or inclination for X-Com.

1. Frog Fractions

2. A handful of games made over ten years ago
    [Sizable gap]
    3. Legend of Grimrock
    4. Warlock
    5. Spec Ops
    [Large crevasse]
    6. Resonance
    7. Max Payne 3
    [Enormous chasm]
    8. FTL
    9. ...Alan Wake, I guess?
    10. If I'm even going to make it to ten, Black Mesa will have to count.
    11. Frog Fractions

Grimrock wrapped itself around my spinal column just at the base of the brain and didn't let go. Not only are the puzzles brilliant but it has more mood than all the Arkham and Dead Space games put in a blender. Warlock was surprisingly satisfying; my life almost went on hold for a few days when the Elven DLC was released. Spec Ops actually got an emotional reaction out of me -- I didn't think games could do that anymore, and I wish more big developers would take such an artful and experimental approach.

Hotline Miami was such a disappointment. It's a well-polished proof of concept, but feels like it was released unfinished. The AI is a joke. Actually, the joke is the protip displayed on loading screens: "Enemies are predictable." No. They certainly should be, since that's basically half the game's mechanic. But they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    The fake citizenship test thing was quite funny and the uninstall/reinstall laser targeting gag raised a hearty chuckle but apart from that if felt a bit like the third series of The Mighty Boosh when it went mostly shit.
    Well, incidentally I just come from talking about why it made me so god-damn happy in a different thread (tangentially, at least); I haven't been quite so surprised by a game in years. Nothing I expected to happen happened and I found most of it amusing once I got over the surprise of it occurring in the first place. That surprise factor, though, is one of the things I value most in games and here's a brilliant example of it.

Network Hub
    Borderlands 2, X-Com, Walking Dead all stuck out of me as my favorites. I cannot stop playing borderlands 2.

honorable mention to Orcs must die 2.

Top 10 failure candidate - Mass Effect 3

Obscure Node
    What have I even played this year? My memory sucks. Did January through July actually happen?

1) The Walking Dead
    2) Sleeping Dogs
    3) Dishonored
    4) Awesomenauts
    5) Legend of Grimrock
    6) Mark of the Ninja
    7) FTL: Faster Than Light
    8) Rayman Origins (PC)
    9) Tokyo Jungle
    10) Vessel

Honorable Mentions: Binary Domain, Trine 2: Goblin Menace, Orcs Must Die! 2

Surprised by my own indifference: Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2

Boo! Get Off the Stage!: Guild Wars 2 (My fault for buying blind without playing the beta, derp)

I think League of Legends, Street Fighter and Game ADD ate most of my game time, because I listed most of the things I played that were released this year.
    Last edited by fuzzy logic; 30-11-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll join in but the idea of a Top 10 is born of children - how about "what were your games of the year" instead?

I'm not 13-years-old anymore y'see - I don't spend my life carefully categorising everything in life as 'better than this' or 'worse than that - and so the games which stood-out for me in no particular order, were...

FTL - scarily brilliant execution held back only being a bit unfair and a bit overhard/unfair at times (and being on the wrong platform - frankly) - but always worth trying again with (see my failure list for a game which fails that test)

Sine Mora - not quite the horizontal shooter which convinced me that all horizontal shooters don't suck (arena or vertical FTW) but it came so bloody close that it's worth including for the sheer brio and mentalism (and the fact it's Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda 22's first PC release?)

WaveForm - I'm amazed no-one has done this before but I'm also glad because it's unlikely they'd have levelled the degree of polish and joy that Waveform enjoys...

Rayman Origins - At first I hated it but when I put in a bit of effort I realised we've got the best 2d platformer made in YEARS here - it's really more a Sonic title than any Sonic in recent memories - it's a rare gem in the world of cutesy 3d platformers.

DRM - SO MANY COLOURS

Torchlight II - I gave up halfway through TL1 because it was getting dull - I had a 'deathbeam' which could carve through everything, bor-ring - so I had low expectations here. I didn't expect it to beat D3 (which it does as a single-player game simply by offering diff. settings upfront) - I didn't expect it to beat Path of Exile (but the developers got money and forgot to release that) and so I threw myself in and - well - it's challenging and sharp and lovely because it's genuinely tough. One complaint? It's a single player game, let me respec without cheating FFS.

I have to do 'misses' as well and for me is was

"Legend of Grimrock" - it does so-much right but at the end of the day it's just merciless, soulless and heartless - there comes a time when you'll simply walk away and not look back, and that's just a failure on behalf of people who are supposed to be entertaining me, you've misjudged how much shit I can take...

Good year for games? Not really, I think we concentrated too much on a 'race to the bottom' for prices - in fact we've gone beyond the bottom into 'bundleville' and dangerously devalued gaming as a result. 2013 is unlikely to change things - I think we're in for a grim time - but we've got a tonne of games to play whilst it's going on! :)

Network Hub
    1) Diablo 3..No, I'm just kidding, Natural Selection 2
    2) Mark of the Ninja
    3) The Walking Dead
    4) DayZ
    5) Tribes Ascend.
    6) XCOM (would be much higher if the camera didn't piss me off on every other level)

I can't think of another 4 games that haven't sucked too much to be ranked higher than 4 blank spaces.

Dark Souls, which is the first game in years to make me really yearn for exploring, because adventure means nothing without danger .Rewarding the cautious player who takes their time really makes you appreciate the enviornments that much more, and I love how interconnected everything is. Also fighting Ornstein & Smough solo is the greatest boss fight ever.

Natural Selection 2. Hard to compare it to DS since they're very different games that I play for different reasons. Suffice to say as a multiplayer game, NS2 is peerless, best team based shooter since TF2 easily.

Dishonored. It's a tad easy, and the story and characters are a bit generic, but the game is just fun. Blinking around everywhere feels great, and the environmental design is brilliant. I'm really looking forward to see what they can improve upon if they make another.

Mass Effect 3. Aside from the horrible ending, I loved this game. Flawed, yes, but the combat was hugely improved from the last games, a lot of the storylines had some great resolutions, and as all round end to the trilogy I was pretty happy with it.

Spec-ops: The line. Makes a pretty good attempt at a story in a shooter setting, probably one of the most successful ones to date.

Counter Stike: Global Offensive. Not much to say about it, it's counter strike. I like the matchmaking for the most part though, I hated how every server ever in the old games were 30 man start cash Dust 24/7. So just for having the ease of playing CS with the proper rules, it's great. Community is still horribly toxic for the most part though.

Mark of the Ninja & Hotline Miami were also pretty good. Not as amazing as I was expecting in either case, though the music in the latter really carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'll join in but the idea of a Top 10 is born of children - how about "what were your games of the year" instead?

I'm not 13-years-old anymore y'see - I don't spend my life carefully categorising everything in life as 'better than this' or 'worse than that - and so the games which stood-out for me in no particular order, were...
    Oh, you. I'm not 13 years old either, and my numbers weren't the most careful of things. I guess I don't find numbers that finicky, juvenile, or problematic? Where does the madness end? This idea of categorizing things as better or worse is for children! Stay a while friends, as I recount my every thought about every game I've played and make long drinks of air and something alcoholic in between long paragraphs of analysis!

I have nothing against, that of course. I like long-form discussion. But short-form and numbers aren't "for children." It's for people who feel like having something short form, and with numbers. Not that anyone's going to kick you out for not using numbers. There's not a style guide or anything.

omg I just finished Frog Fractions. Here's my updated list:

1-Frog Fractions
    2-Frog Fractions
    3-Frog Fractions
    4-Frog Fractions
    5-Frog Fractions
    6-Frog Fractions
    7-Frog Fractions
    8-Frog Fractions
    9-Frog Fractions
    10-Frog Fractions

I don't have 10 because I was busy playing my backlog but here goes:

Dark Souls
    Mass Effect 3 (mostly the multiplayer though... which is something I have trouble accepting)
    Torchlight II

rayman origins: great soundtrack, fantastic art, 99% gameplay.
    mark of the ninja: 2-d stealth that works
    Planetside2: fast frenetic and free

my biggest disappointment was xenoblade on dolphin: combat devolved.