Cta Squad Leaders / Radio Operators

In the same way as the PL thread, please volunteer here if you wish to be a SL or a RO. It's better to make a separate thread, so that all candidates for each level can be found at the same place.

If you wish to be a SL, please state if you're ok to lead a single squad (12 people), a dual squad (24) or both.

If I get to play I'd like to RO, if needed SL, too.
    I would prefer single squat in both cases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I can SL a single/dual air squad, or a single regular squad for the C2A. I can also be radio operator.

I can RO - I would normally SL, but my game crashes are making it difficult to do so. RO means I can still pass messages whilst restarting the game...

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Available to SL and RO. Generally prefer to SL.

Obscure Node
    I can SL if needed or beacon monkey, whichever description fits

Obscure Node
    Happy to SL or RO, though I prefer to SL and RO at the same time if that doesn't interfere with other comms setups.

I'm up for Squad leader etc.
    Lead the platoon for 3 hours tonight, had fun and we nearly took 3 whole bases! (Tough fights on Indar today it seems)

If I'm on Sunday (not sure yet) I'm up for SLing. That (and SG) is the only thing I haven't tried yet in CtA.

This post is related to the one I posted for platoon leaders. During CtA we expect beginners, so there are a few things that we should be careful about.

Important advices for SL during CtA :

- First thing I usually do is a coms check :
    "Alpha 2 are you here ?" "Yes"
    "Alpha 3 are you here ?" "Yes"
    "Alpha 4 are you here" *crickets*
    "Alpha 4, Foobar, are you here ?" "Yes"
    etc.
    That ensures that everyone is in the right Mumble channel. If not, I have one of my vets try to find out where the missing guy is. Also allows people to know their call sign, which is gonna be useful later (i usually use the call sign and the name the second time I call someone)

- Second very important thing, is to get them to acknowledge they are beginners. That's the hardest part, people are usually shy/don't want to admit it. I usually entice them by saying stuff like "don't worry this is a CtA we're expecting beginners" "don't be shy, it's only so that I know how many beginners we have" or "I'm sure there are more than 1 beginner" when only one acknowledge it. That will gives you the name of your beginners which you will have to take care of, and also your vets vs beginners ratio. That ratio is important.
    We don't want a full vets squad (pointless in CtA) and we don't want a full newbies squad. If you have too many vets or too many beginners, check with the platoon leader if you can "trade" some of them with another squad with the opposite unbalance.

- Third, at the beginning of the game, and then whenever you get a newcomer, beginner joining the squad, explain the basic of the game. Takes about 1 min, and usually help them get their bearings. "This game is about capturing bases, each base has one or more cap points "A, B, C, etc" if you capture the points, you start a capture timer, once the timer is done, you get the base". "There is no penalty for death, so feel free to try things that seems interesting." "If you don't know what class to play I suggest the combat medic. It's a combat medic, so it's a good offensive class, you can shoot people. And of course, you can heal them but also rez them" "When you use the medic tool, you get a bright white cercle for people at full health, so no need to heal them more, and a dim circle for dead people, that you can rez".

- Fourth, always tell your newbies that it's ok to ask questions, that you will be happy to answer them.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 20-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    A very good list Ksempac!

Also, refresh your memory by checking this guide:
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui.../squad-leader/

As PS2 offers a tutorial, which is quite good by now, I would recommand to send the newbies through the tutorial - It covers most of the things Ksempac wrote in "Third", including Generators, Infrantry classes, Capture Points, Terminals, vehicle play, turrents, ...
    Maybe the welcome group should say regulary something like "If you did not play ps2 in the past we recommand you to go through the build-in tutorial, even if you played games like BF or sth before because Planetsides game mechanics are much different to other games."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I should be available to RO (or SL if really needed for that) tomorrow/tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Qw33r View Post
    As PS2 offers a tutorial, which is quite good by now, I would recommand to send the newbies through the tutorial - It covers most of the things Ksempac wrote in "Third", including Generators, Infrantry classes, Capture Points, Terminals, vehicle play, turrents, ...
    Maybe the welcome group should say regulary something like "If you did not play ps2 in the past we recommand you to go through the build-in tutorial, even if you played games like BF or sth before because Planetsides game mechanics are much different to other games."
    People usually dislike tutorials. Imho, it's not very welcoming if we tell them to stay in a tutorial for a few minutes when everyone else is having fun/ killing stuff. Especially since we can do a better job at that in a few sentences + questions from them. People who actually like tutorials will probably do it on their own anyways.

After how well it went last night when I tried it, I'd like to sign up for SLing tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Nalidor View Post
    After how well it went last night when I tried it, I'd like to sign up for SLing tonight!
    Great, we always need new SL Especially during CtA

I don't know if you were SL in split coms or not, but do you have your Mumble bind setup (whisper key) ?

Yeah, it was split comms and I have the whisper bind set up.

EDIT: Just to confirm, is it the usual setup with the same key doing both shout to parent and subchannels and shout to current and linked?

EDIT2: I got confirmation from Esoteric that this is the case for SLs at least.
    Last edited by Nalidor; 21-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.