Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    You should! I just stuck a purple giraffe up in the Strat Thursday thread for you, I had a good time last night despite ducking out early!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have to admit, it kind of felt like we stuck around Ikanam Bio Lab for waaaaaay to long last night. There was no clear target and the outfit got pretty spread out. It honestly felt like we should have regrouped somewhere else. But seeing that video brought a smile to my face. There's a time for strategic play, and there's a time for being a pain in the ass for the TR. And apparently, we managed with the second option admirably yesterday. It makes me feel much better about the whole thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    "RPS are like herpes." Nice. Good to see you guys made an impression!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Medic is a combat beast, especially paired with the H-V45. It's just a different kind of pace to the HA. The HA thrives on a sequence of quick confrontations. Head in straight, pop up the shield, and kill 2-3 in a row. The medic approach is more deliberate and calculated: 1 on 1, and in between pause and regen back to full health.

The medic is a force multiplier. A damaged fellow soldier is a soldier temporarily out of the fight, and almost as good as dead. But the medic puts him right back in. Also, a medic revives them right back into the fight, not a 100 meters away in the nearest spawn, giving the opportunity to the enemy to consolidate his offense or defense.

Most of us do it, but it's worth reminding it once more: when a medic is healing you, cover him. And medics should not revive unless they are sure all the enemies in the immediate vicinity are dead, otherwise an enemy will show up when you are with your med-tool out and mow you down. Heavies engage them and medics finish them off.

This, the Medic is not just a support class, far from it. They are pretty much the basic trooper. Hell they are the only class with the Assault Rifle. Just upgrade the aoe heal thing, I pretty much only use the healing tool to resurrect people now even though i have it at max level it is just so much easier to hit F and heal myself and anyone around me.

So for someone thinking of certing into a medic I would probably recommend leveling that as much or even more than the healing tool.

As for weapons that is really up to you but the H-V45 is a beast in CQB, probably one of the best CQB weapons we have. If you want more of a stand off weapon the NS-11 with high speed rounds is pretty damn good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    As stated, I'm not a good shot at all, but in CQB with a H-V45 the only things that ever beat me are shotgun weapons.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I mostly use a shotgun these days on my medic, but should perhaps look into more rifle options (my Pulsar VS1 is still my weapon with most kills). For anyone looking into certing a medic I would recommend nano regen and nanoweave armour to begin with, makes you so much more survivable. Ressing is the sort of thing you can afford to take longer with when starting out, the area heal is so much better to begin with!

Activated Node
    I have just had one of the most dispiriting evenings of playing with the RPS outfit since I first started playing the game.

There were a lot of people in the platoon, and Cooper was PL. It got to the point where we split into two separate comms channels, A and B in one, C and D in another. This worked for a while, and then some people started asking for completely separate comms channels. Cooper declined this option, but the requests continued and continued.

Now, comms were noisy, but the main reason was that everyone kept talking over Cooper, arguing/discussing what to do next, and generally completely ignoring comms discipline.

I personally have had enough of the ill feeling that is being created by the regular issue of when/whether to split comms, and if we do then how. The lack of comms discipline is only making things worse, and overall the tension this causes in Mumble is unpleasant, and makes the game significantly less enjoyable. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

At this point, I really, really don't care what we do to sort this out, and I do not care who 'wins'. However, we HAVE to make a decision as to how we deal with this, and we have to do this now. I was under the impression that things had been agreed at the last meeting, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference to what is actually going on when we play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbster View Post
    I have just had one of the most dispiriting evenings of playing with the RPS outfit since I first started playing the game.

There were a lot of people in the platoon, and Cooper was PL. It got to the point where we split into two separate comms channels, A and B in one, C and D in another. This worked for a while, and then some people started asking for completely separate comms channels. Cooper declined this option, but the requests continued and continued.

Now, comms were noisy, but the main reason was that everyone kept talking over Cooper, arguing/discussing what to do next, and generally completely ignoring comms discipline.

I personally have had enough of the ill feeling that is being created by the regular issue of when/whether to split comms, and if we do then how. The lack of comms discipline is only making things worse, and overall the tension this causes in Mumble is unpleasant, and makes the game significantly less enjoyable. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

At this point, I really, really don't care what we do to sort this out, and I do not care who 'wins'. However, we HAVE to make a decision as to how we deal with this, and we have to do this now. I was under the impression that things had been agreed at the last meeting, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference to what is actually going on when we play the game.
    We didn't notice any of this in Charlie/Delta. As far as I'm concerned it's the PL's call. A change can be suggested once. If rejected suck it up and move on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    We had 15+ talky people in A+B and it did not work. We had squads all over. It was very confusing. The situation demanded it. Of course we will ask again, it was obvious it was a mess and there's plenty of us that find that gamebreakingly frustrating. Should we then not state our opinion and live with it? Discipline only works to a certain degree. People at four seperate places, two gals dropping and leaving, intel everywhere, TVA relay = split per squad.

We did not talk over Cooper much imo, but yeah, there was much too much discussion. There were 10+ vets in the channel and yes we are all awful at discipline. It still does not solve it. I don't see how it was our fault, and no, I can't deal with it and let it be.

Sorry for sort of forcedly SLing a+b as well, but we had zero cohesion, direction and teamplay when we fought. It had to be done and when we focused we instantly broke the stalemate. It's what we must do.

edit: Dewi, it did not work. People had to use chat and call breaks constantly. It was clear squad play was needed, but I guess Cooper wanted to test a+b/c+d. I find it disheartening that you basically say I should stop playing in such situations.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 06-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    No, its what you think we must do and that is what the problem is. Everybody is doing what they want to do and no one is actually cooperating to try to work to a solution that everyone is at least partly happy with.

Well, did you think comms worked? I got the impression you didn't. Your solution is more discipline, and you're correct, but it is not needed. We can just split instead. I fully agree I and others tonight talked way too much, but seriously, we needed to. We needed to hold the TR. Communication was key.

I fully believe ad hoc works and tonight was a simple one time thing. A+b/c+d is perfect for 30. It is not for 40+.
    Find me on the Steams

Sitting listening in now to 25 people, it works fine. Everyone playing in a relaxed manner. Everything works fine.

This was not the situation earlier. Number is not the only indicator. If defing lock, coordinating, splitting, coordinating attacks, people calling breaks - split to squads. If not, it's fine.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post

edit: Dewi, it did not work. People had to use chat and call breaks constantly. It was clear squad play was needed, but I guess Cooper wanted to test a+b/c+d. I find it disheartening that you basically say I should stop playing in such situations.
    That's taking what I've said there a bit out of context Ridebird. It's your own prerogative as to whether you continue to play after a PL has made a decision you don't agree with, but I said nothing of the sort. Apologies if that was what was construed or if my comment seemed aggressive in anyway as that was not my intent.

For Charlie and Delta I feel that this did work quite well tonight. There was some discussion but the right amount. Orders were adhered to, changes in plans were followed and I felt a really nice atmosphere in the squads. Ok we did our fair share of ghost capping but we made some pretty spectacular moves, especially a particular tower that we managed to recap midway through an enemy attack against an overwhelming force.

I do believe however that control of what comms are used lies solely with the PL. That is why they are leading, making the calls and decisions. To second guess the leader after the decision has been made in game would usually land you in hot water, so why should comms be different.

Again apologies if what I said caused offence, I mean none, I only wished to get more point across, which I may have done incorrectly.

I continued playing, and that's why I felt a need to yell - it was the only way to get across. Of course I am going to bring it up again then, since the solution is relatively clear and was so to others. We needed to communicate.
    Find me on the Steams

On another note, I swept a landing pad where BRTD stood. 21 kills. Sadly the stream cut out just before it.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    For Charlie and Delta I feel that this did work quite well tonight. There was some discussion but the right amount. Orders were adhered to, changes in plans were followed and I felt a really nice atmosphere in the squads. Ok we did our fair share of ghost capping but we made some pretty spectacular moves, especially a particular tower that we managed to recap midway through an enemy attack against an overwhelming force.

I do believe however that control of what comms are used lies solely with the PL. That is why they are leading, making the calls and decisions. To second guess the leader after the decision has been made in game would usually land you in hot water, so why should comms be different.

Again apologies if what I said caused offence, I mean none, I only wished to get more point across, which I may have done incorrectly.
    Tonight was a high-tension situation, and we had too many vets in a/b. Orders were coming in regularly, but execution was slow and the battlefield kept changing. People felt the need to chime in, and that's not how comms discipline works. I'm as guilty of this as a number of other players, and i should probably either mute my mic or shut up.

either way, if the atmosphere is like in a/b during the main event tonight, we should split comms. it was very unpleasant, stressful, and ineffective. I eventually stopped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    For or Indar action it seemed to work pretty well, at least in Delta. After that it got a lot more confusing, especially when we switched back to Amerish. But I cannot say how other squads and PL/SL experienced that. From a Delta grunts view it was pretty good.

Also one thing I learned today: staying up that long for Friday Night Ops is pretty much a waste of time.
    But we tried our best and I did we did pretty well kicking TR on Indar. We can be pretty proud of that.
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    On another note, I swept a landing pad where BRTD stood. 21 kills. Sadly the stream cut out just before it.
    For some reason I doubt that was a coincidence...

I stopped playing after we lost the bio lab, fighting the TR 10 to 1 was no fun and hardly a fair fight

Well, we still have Indar, so that's nice.

Anyway, the reason I think comms did not work in A+B is all the regular PLs were in there. We have our own ideas on how to proceed and what to do and are vocal about this. PLs might need to STFU about strategy when they're not PL unless specifically asked in such a situation, or we should spread the PLs over the two channels.

Or split?

That would have solved it. I still don't see why we need to have comms discipline at all times and that we must sit in larger, chattier, channels just because. But yeah, there is too much 'lets do this', I agree. Thing is though it was hectic and we needed to move 20+ people between 4-5 bases and talk about gal drops and pick ups. I could never get through to talk about that since intel was coming from four bases. I had to call for breaks to find out where to pick up. Regarding our attacks, we lacked a squad leader. I think we should have that even in these situation.

I know someone will tell me to deal with just being ineffective, but I have no interest in playing this game without team play any longer. The best thing was our coordinated attacks at that ridge and Connery.
    Find me on the Steams