Page 38 of 70 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    But they wont get any negative feedback tho.

OK, no age limit.
    Find me on the Steams

A purple giraffe to our regular platoon leads! Having made a ham-fishted attempt of it this evening I have a new level of appreciation for you guys. I think I'll stick with the shooting lasers part for now though

Lesser Hivemind Node
    so ... can we kick people that are immature and annoy everyone, mostly for being too young? we should determine how that's getting handled.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    so ... can we kick people that are immature and annoy everyone, mostly for being too young? we should determine how that's getting handled.
    We should kick people for being immature and annoying everyone, not for being too young. Although, there's some coarse language in chat at times. I personally have no problem exposing adolescents to this, there may be those who do?

But yeah, we need to decide how to handle this. I've been keeping an eye on a couple of our members these last few days, trying to promote good behaviour. My plan has been to send a /tell if I find someone being obnoxious, asking them to calm down or behave like grown-ups or whatever the specific problem might be, and being ready to kick them if they didn't comply.

i will continue doing this in the days to come, but I suggest the rest of you balloon leaders (who have the authority to kick from the outfit) also keep an eye open for unwanted behaviours, especially when I'm not online.

In essence, I think we should handle it like this:
    • Have someone be responsible for contacting people.
    • Give players behaving badly or being bothersome at least one chance, stating clearly what behaviour we find troublesome, preferrably by /tell so as not to shame them publicly.
    • If this does not help, announce to the outfit, on Mumble or in /os, that so-and-so is being kicked from the outfit because of this-and-that.
    • Finally, give people a few minutes to respond to that before kicking.

Does this sound reasonable?
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 23-03-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Formatting, Qaz quoted

I nominate Wibbster and Esoteric for being our HR managers
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    i think we should learn to not invite ppl "just like that". if they want to be a RPS giraffe they will go to the forum, fix all of the stuff that is needed and then be come a part of the squad. we all have done it and i think it should be the only "test" that is needed.

but if there is ppl who are bothering others it is good to have some good ppl that know how to talk to others. i would just become frustrated and say lousy stuff.

i know who we are talking about and i had to take of my headphones and scram a bit because i couldn't stand the voice and nonsense anymore.
    (i know i talk a lot of shit and say lots stuff that is not a part of the game, but i listen to orders and try my best to follow. he doesn't)
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Yes, the procedure for invite must always be followed.
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    As we discussed over Mumble last night, this is something I would be happy to do. The only concern I have is that I am seldom able to play the game before around 10.30pm UK time. This will often mean that I do not know the players concerned and have not experienced the issues that we are trying to resolve.

If we are going to introduce something like this, I feel it needs to be formalised and consistent to make sure we are fair, and to ensure that a change in the way we do things does not come as a surprise to anyone. I like EsotericReverie's suggested approach above, and will use that as the basis of a written guide that is a little more formal.

Once I've done this I would appreciate it if a couple of the more experienced players would take a glance over it before I post it here. I would also suggest that the final approval of any change in the way we do things is agreed at our next meeting.
    Last edited by Wibbster; 23-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.

we've had this discussion before. I have no problem with people being in the outfit, as a calf, and only be "upgraded" to giraffe if they found their way into mumble and shit.

But whatever. Its not like I have time to run around inviting people anyway
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

We did set the procedure in stone during our meeting, and it is how it is to be done now. We all agreed that it has served us well and works well and the only time we had an issue was a random invite.

That is why we don't do random invites. If the outfit is supposedly for the RPS community/webpage/official outfit or whatever, then they need to have some sort of association to RPS as well.

edit: It is also to make sure people are on mumble. I see no point in just throwing in randoms and playing with them but them not being in "for real" until they have actually gone through the procedure. If we just have a bunch of members that are randomly invited but not actually in the community and communicating, what is the point with random invites? It will only cause frustration.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 23-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Find me on the Steams

I'm okay with that if there are no objections. Also think Cooper, CMaster and JG could do a good job at this, fi they feel up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by madmoxxi View Post
    i think we should learn to not invite ppl "just like that". if they want to be a RPS giraffe they will go to the forum, fix all of the stuff that is needed and then be come a part of the squad. we all have done it and i think it should be the only "test" that is needed.
    i know who we are talking about and i had to take of my headphones and scram a bit because i couldn't stand the voice and nonsense anymore.
    (i know i talk a lot of shit and say lots stuff that is not a part of the game, but i listen to orders and try my best to follow. he doesn't)
    Yeah, there's a distinct difference. Some people manage to set a bad mood in one of a few different ways; whining and moaning, being "needy", laying blame on others for one thing or another, calling "bad leadership" when things go awry or too slowly or whatever, or just messing about too much. We all like to mess about to one degree or another, but there's a limit when it stops being funny and starts being annoying or awkward, and there are also times when it is less appropriate... (You are sometimes pushing the boundaries, but generally in good spirit. )

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbster View Post
    As we discussed over Mumble last night, this is something I would be happy to do. The only concern I have is that I am seldom able to play the game before around 10.30pm UK time. This will often mean that I do not know the players concerned and have not experienced the issues that we are trying to resolve.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. I'd like for those who perceive a problem to call out for one uf us and /tell us what you're taking issue with, so that we a) know to watch for it for a little while, and b) can handle it appropriately, according to a procedure similar to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbster View Post
    If we are going to introduce something like this, I feel it needs to be formalised and consistent to make sure we are fair, and to ensure that a change in the way we do things does not come as a surprise to anyone. I like EsotericReverie's suggested approach above, and will use that as the basis of a written guide that is a little more formal.

Once I've done this I would appreciate it if a couple of the more experienced players would take a glance over it before I post it here. I would also suggest that the final approval of any change in the way we do things is agreed at our next meeting.
    Sure, I'll happpily do that. Also agree with Ridebird, that this is not about the recruitment process, that is well defined and works well, for the most part. This would be about the procedure for dismissing players who do not live up to our expectations (see rule regarding no arsehats).

Double post here, nice...

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    we've had this discussion before. I have no problem with people being in the outfit, as a calf, and only be "upgraded" to giraffe if they found their way into mumble and shit.
    On this note, could we all make sure not to promote new members to Giraffe, until they've proven to be of decent character? Giraffes have the power to do outfit invites, after all. As a rule of thumb, let's make sure that we play with people for a few days, so we know that they're good sports before bumping them to Giraffe, eh?

edit: It is also to make sure people are on mumble. I see no point in just throwing in randoms and playing with them but them not being in "for real" until they have actually gone through the procedure. If we just have a bunch of members that are randomly invited but not actually in the community and communicating, what is the point with random invites? It will only cause frustration.
    Yes. This is a good point. Playing with RPS and not being on Mumble is bad for all involved. It will be a bad experience for the ones who aren't on Mumble, because they won't have a clue what's going on, and it will be bad for the squads they're in, because these players won't have a clue what's going on. Asking for invites on Mumble should be (is) mandatory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think what needs to be discussed then in a meeting is what our level of acceptability is. I, for one, don't give a toss if someone swears from here until tomorrow, but I know others might. That's just one example. We need to come a set agreement on where the line for what behaviour is drawn. Something to bring up later on.