Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    I made a thread of collecting stickies for subforums, but I sadly lost the list of threads that need stickying for ps2. could someone go in and add them?

the thread is in the social gaming clubs etc root forum.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    PurpleGiraffe.jpg
    Purple Giraffe to the platoon I've had the pleasure of leading over the last few days. Really strong team-work, good pushes and organisation and generally great play. Good job!

(I shouldn't be allowed to have paint on my PC.)
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    That one leg... it's a leg right?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

They're all legs. Even the neck.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

we had reasonable success with having a squad of cloaked flashes spreading out. thanks to qaz for helping out in that regard, and everyone from alpha squad doing a great job, as well as bravo and charlie under mreclectic keeping the tr forces occupied.

purple giraffes for the platoon; we managed to keep the TR from capping amerish, in the face of overwhelming interoutfit alliances. fantastic job.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quite so QuantaCat. Alas! The TR have taken ALL continents. We must take action against this red plague infecting our precious Auraxis.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    when the hell did that happen?

Probably at 4AM again... :P

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Probably at 4AM again... :P
    Indeed, I find it extremely frustrating

hm. qaz: it would be tragically funny if the russians from perpetuum online followed us here.

but you all know the remedy: get in touch with our US brethren on connery. we need to form up.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    OK, first draft of general outfit procedures-thing after the last discussion we had here. Please do add stuff and discuss what is in it. The general thought behind this is for it to be sort of as a procedures manual to fall back on as well as an intro to the outfit for new players. I felt that we take many of these things sort of as a given for more veteran players while never really properly introducing them to new players. This could be added to the existing thread or just be a seperate one.

So, thoughts?

Welcome to Rock, Planet, Shotgun!

If you are new to the game, this is a good guide to the basics of the game. If you are a new on the forum and would like to join, see here. This guide is mostly to write down a few rules or procedures we generally use, as well as some overall helpful information.

Communication

• You should be on Mumble if you are playing with us. You are required to be on Mumble during strategic nights. You are never required to have a microphone and to speak, but it is recommended.
    • Use the Mumble overlay to easily determine who is speaking. Here's a guide.
    • Channels should be split if we have 30+ members and/or multiple objectives. A good indication of this is if the platoon leader needs to speak up to be heard or call for breaks.
    • Identify your platoon leader and respect him or her. Do not interrupt them when they are giving orders.
    • Listen for people saying BREAK. It means you should be quiet as the person - generally the leader - is trying to say something important.

Coordination

• One person is required to be on TVA Teamspeak during lock attempts, crucial defenses or other important operations. This person, or someone else, should also have a presence in /leader. This is often refered to as the comms liason.
    • Follow your platoon leaders or squad leaders orders - meaning if we attack base X, you should attack base X. Following more specific orders such as "everyone advance to green smoke" is only a requirement on strategic nights, but is always strongly encouraged for increased teamplay.
    • Stick together with your squad and/or platoon. Do not "trickle in" - meaning do not spawn alone and attack alone. Wait for another member or two. Make sure to advance with your squad.
    • On squad play nights or generally when playing split squads and comms, assign a designated comms officer (CO) in each squad, as well as a squad leader (SL). The CO receives orders and relays information, the SL decides tactical stuff such as flanking and keeps the squad together.
    • If you hear a call back to warpgate or to redeploy somewhere from the platoon or squad leader, it means you should use /suicide and redeploy as soon as possible. Do not stay behind and farm or be farmed.

Intel

• Be specific - remember to specify if you spotted an enemy or a friendly sunderer.
    • Remember your directions - "here" is not a helpful location, "southwest of north satellite" is.
    • Check your squad and number. We sometimes use designations such as "bravo 9" from the map screen.
    • State your name if you are pulling an important vehicle such as a galaxy or sunderer.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    A very good intro! There are probably a few things mor that could go in there. But I can't think of any right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Great list, Ridebird! Can't really think of anything to add at the moment.

(Also, thinking about it, I rarely state my name when pulling sundies, and instead assume that people can see it on the overlay... So the list gave me something to work on, which is great! )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Purple Giraffe for Kalezin, because whenever I thought "Hmm, I'd better take that guy out", Kalezin had already done it.

Activated Node
    Loving the Giraffe pic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    This is an excellent post on comms discipline:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...cedure.111119/

Nice list Ride, think you've covered everything I can think of, generally you can do little wrong if you stick to your squad leader! I had a post somewhere about the role of the SL but I think most of the points I made you already have covered.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Ok, wall of response to the whole bunch of stuff I was not around for the past few weeks. I'm doing this as I read through the thread from when I left.

Invite permissions & Kicking people.

I don't like the idea of kicking people who haven't logged on for X time. We are here for the readers of RPS. Which means if there's a front page post about PS2 that gets someone interest who's played with us before they can just reinstall, hop on Mumble and start playing again. This means our "stats" go to shit. Who cares? Having hundreds of "inactives" doesn't harm us as an outfit.

There is another issue to discuss about the outfit existing for the readers of RPS and shaping the outfit style for those of us who dedicate our time to it, and what balance needs to be struck (and if they are even at odds?). Grible, Ride, Eso, SirHoc and many others have brought this up. Also organised stuff "taking over" which JG recognises it an oddly diffuse fear. Which needs to be disspiated (because that's not happening) which is probably best done by writing up some kind of [RPS] manifesto?
    These issues, I think, needs to be a discussion. As in we chat about it. We need another outfit meeting. See below.

Invite permissions will be beacons & above the next time I'm in game. It made sense to keep invitations open earlier on, but the chances of a beacon or BL not being online at any given time are now very low that it makes sense to limit invites. It makes sure the (incredibly simple) rule of "get on Mumble and ask" is universally enforced for all invites. That rule isn't known by everyone, but I would assume all Beacons will be aware. I should have made this permission change months ago & forseen the problems with the 'open door' system we had for enforcing even a simple rule and the recent bullshit shouldn't have happened. Sorry.

@RIDE Keep being pushy, please. You may have inadevertantly become to be viewed as voice of the "hardcore" (although terming RPS squad play "hardcore" is to totally misunderstand what those nights are about, but there you go), but most of us know it's not about elitism. There are playstyle preferences that need balancing and if yourself and others hadn't been "pushy" we wouldn't have anything like the squad play stuff that is for many the most exciting part of [RPS].

@Wibb & Eso Re: problem players policy.
    Excellent, but maybe less verbose? e.g.
    * Be excellent.
    * If you are not being excellent, you will know because you will be asked to stop the not-excellent behaviour.
    * If not-excellent behaviour continues, you will be kicked from the outfit.

?
    But, then again, I don't like writing this stuff down. I prefer organic rules. Which I recognise means things end up fucking up royally when problems arise and we have no decent reference as a group to draw on with which to deal with the problem and cannot come to some kind of on-the-spot agreement. So just ignore me. Thanks for putting in the effort. If you produce something you are happy with, I'll add it to whatever the final website output ends up being.

@B3 PS2 is also the first game I have used "comms" on to any extent (if you discount casual mic use in TF2 on the odd occasion and a couple of Arma outings). Take from that what you will.

@CMaster Re: Purple Wednesdays
    Just one point to pick out here. Yes, Wednesdays are getting oddly frustrating in the way they never were before. I am more inclined to put that down to those of us who've sunk the hours in basically getting used to the game and knowing just how ineffective large zerg-y groups are than any shift in the big picture (although the enemy is much better tactically than they ever used to be). I will try to give Wednesdays some love over the coming weeks.

For example: I wonder if mixing things up with two (different channel) 24-person-groups of [RPS] each with two squads of PUGs might mean that, rather than feeling like a zerg we become the zerg?

Re: Comms
    This keeps coming up over and over again. So many decent guidelines have been written and linked to from here. Again, with the website in the works, I can extract some of this and write it up as a reference point. But here, more than anywhere else, having things written down won't change much. We need to make comms work for us, we need to foster a better comms atmosphere. Which, frankly, means telling people to shut up on occasion, and to more regularly split channels into spec ops or just smaller groupings. If that means I pick an arbitrary number between 20 and 40 then so be it. Again, discussion here will be useful I think.

@RIDE Excellent guidelines. I wouldn't change much. Again, let's discuss this (briefly!!) and get it finalised.

In summary: Really good stuff, but reading it through, especally all at once, I felt that for fucks sake do we just need to get together in comms and hash these few issues out. I will drastically change the format from the first meeting I held to be a more pro active chair and keep discussions rolling and to time.

Brief proposals for documents to hash-out in a chat:
    A "manifesto" for [RPS] where we set out why we exist, what new comers and old hats can expect.

Guidelines: Behaviour, comms & organisation

Training. Let's get some dates fixed & some kind of regular setup organised.

Question:
    What do people think about a one-off hijacking of this Wednesday for an "outfit meeting" where we hash this stuff out? (if so, I'll draw up and take suggestions for an agenda, set a defined time limit)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Wednesday makes the most sense in regards to when the most people will be on. I'm sure a few will duck out, but I imagine most will respect the timing and go with it.