Page 45 of 70 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    (Puts on nerd glasses)
    Yesterday I encountered a woman when she asked me for directions, who was wearing thick black rimmed glassed with no lenses in them. As a person whose effectively blind without my glasses, I felt I would've been in right to take them off her and snap them.

And I also agree that DST is a load of junk.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Yesterday I encountered a woman when she asked me for directions, who was wearing thick black rimmed glassed with no lenses in them. As a person whose effectively blind without my glasses, I felt I would've been in right to take them off her and snap them.

Whaat? I never really thought there actually were people who wore just the rims... That's bloody stupid, yeah. I just wear my glasses when I can't be arsed (or too hungover) to fiddle with my eyeballs (also known as putting on my lenses).

Lesser Hivemind Node

Off topic: Go get laser surgery, did it 6 months ago best thing i have ever done.

On topic: DST is the stupidest thing ever.

I'm glad I have a lot better than average vision because the idea of laser surgery scares me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm incredibly short sighted to the point that anything beyond about two inches from my eyes becomes blurred. At about a foot, colours will blend in together. I've thought about getting them zapped but I've never managed to get into a clinic for a quote yet. I'm going to guess though based on how bad my eyes are that it's going to be a loan worthy amount.

But I will do it eventually. I can't wait for the day I can just wake up and see properly and not have to try remember where my glasses are and start feeling around for the bloody things.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Us CET dudes (like half the outfit perhaps) are UTC+2 now though.
    But you were UTC +1 (right?)

If times are now given as UTC+1 then you adjust to get local time by the same amount as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm incredibly short sighted to the point that anything beyond about two inches from my eyes becomes blurred. At about a foot, colours will blend in together. I've thought about getting them zapped but I've never managed to get into a clinic for a quote yet. I'm going to guess though based on how bad my eyes are that it's going to be a loan worthy amount.

But I will do it eventually. I can't wait for the day I can just wake up and see properly and not have to try remember where my glasses are and start feeling around for the bloody things.
    More offtopic:
    See Here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post282670

On topic: Yeah do not change any times, pretty much everyone in Europe has DST in some form or other and should change at the same date in the same way and the countries who do not tend to be used to having to change their times based on the rest who do... But seriously fuck DST if you have meetings with people from Australia or Asia. The bloody time difference changes all the time and in different directions.
    Last edited by Wardancer; 03-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Can we have a discussion likening to the last one (about purpose etc) regarding leadership and stepping up to lead? I would very much like to know from the plethora of generally otherwise very vocal veterans why they pretty much never do it. I enjoy it, as you know, and I can lead a squad every day - but I do _not_ want to PL at all times.

I know full and well PLing detracts from the game - and especially the first time you do it - but it doesn't have to. It just takes time and practice to get a grip of it and do better at multi tasking.

I really don't get why people are so afraid of squad leading though. It's not difficult and in the new system the responsibilities are split - as SL you don't get the chatter.
    Find me on the Steams

I'd step up more, but I seem to log in once every time they rearrange everything then get buried in work again. Making life difficult If I start playing regularly I'll happily step up more.

I'll try SL-ing a bit more in future, I have the beacon so I might as well use it. In the more distant future I might try PL again, the one time I did it was quite draining as 2 or 3 people constantly kept questioning my orders and it just put me off playing the game for a solid week.

Activated Node
    I would be happy to SL, I found leading a smallish platoon Monday afternoon fine, and I can't imagine SLing as part of a larger group would be harder. For some reason SL positions usually become vacant about 10 minutes before I plan on logging off, which is why I usually say nothing. I would have taken a slot last night but was unexpectedly afk for a couple of minutes at the exact time it got sorted out
    Last edited by LordKiwi; 03-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    But you were UTC +1 (right?)

If times are now given as UTC+1 then you adjust to get local time by the same amount as before.
    I vote we use the easy to use time system of Dewi Time.

Dewi Time is whatever the fuck the time is in the UK right now.

Dewi Time + 1 is whatever the fuck the time is in France, Spain etc right now

Dewi Time + 2 is whatever the fuck time it is in.... fucked if i know.... right now.

Simple and easy to remember!

I'm in google time, meaning I have no lcue what time it is where so I google it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    I would be happy to SL, I found leading a smallish platoon Monday afternoon fine, and I can't imagine SLing as part of a larger group would be harder. For some reason SL positions usually become vacant about 10 minutes before I plan on logging off, which is why I usually say nothing. I would have taken a slot last night but was unexpectedly afk for a couple of minutes at the exact time it got sorted out
    Same. Basically by the time people ask for replacement PLs or SLs, it's past 23:00 Dewi Time +1. Usually I'm off shortly after that anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    About that, I think quite a few PLs would be happy to turn over leadership to someone else if they wanted to, as long as its not "Well you are useless as a PL give it to meeee!" So if you feel like you could take over one night you do not have to wait until the current PL has to leave, just tell him that you are up for taking over if he wants to do something else for a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Safilpope View Post
    In the more distant future I might try PL again, the one time I did it was quite draining as 2 or 3 people constantly kept questioning my orders and it just put me off playing the game for a solid week.
    This is bad. We should never allow this to happen. We must try to be supportive of people trying their hands at leading, or we will never get enough potential leaders to allow the regulars some rest every once in a wihle. There are some of us who lead or make strategic decisions regularly. We need to learn to take a step back, and allow the less experienced PLs to do their thing, and not undermine their authority. They have enough on their hands without having to cope with that as well.

If we want people to step up as leaders, we need to support them while they get their bearings, and get used to that mode of playing the game. Because, let's be honest, it is a very different experience and it takes some time to get used to it.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 03-04-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Typos

If you disagree with their strategy, make a note of it and bring it up after the night is done, either as a group in mumble once we're back in casual mode, or else in a thread on the forums or a PM via the forums. Feedback is important, but more important is to save the feedback for the right time,

I hope I get to play more, I'm more than willing to step up once I feel I understand how the game works again... I used to lead relic raids in DAoC, that was stressful but had its rewards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Or perhaps if you feel that the BL would really benefit from some advice, tell them, but compliment another aspect of their leadership at the same time. This way you can help them with criticism, positively reinforce the good stuff and they won't come away from it feeling inadequate!

Obviously this would only apply to things you feel are really important to mention, most of the time it seems better to just give them space to think.

Re: handing over BL/SL earlier, might be worth established leaders offering up the position every hour or so if they feel like it, might prompt people to give it a go.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 03-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Network Hub
    Apologies to anyone who had me as a SL for a short time last night. Hope I didn't do too much damage!

Network Hub
    My main problem with taking on a leadership role is that I'm rarely sure I'll still be around in the next 5mn as I often have to disconnect with very little warning in order to take care of stuff at home.