Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Definitely seen that name around more than once.

I'm almost always an engineer when driving a vehicle, they so often need repairs. When on foot outdoors I'll mostly be a heavy assault and switch to Infiltrator or Light Assault only for certain missions (Gal drop, Bio-lab respectively). As for being a medic... whenever I'm looking to respec the squad I'm in usually seems to have at least two already so I tend to go for something else.

On that note, we have some very good medics in RPS, I get revived and healed way more than I deserve.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    That reminds me.

Doctor-Giraffe to our great medics that always rescue me.
    bWPZM.jpg
    I don't remember all of you so I wont mention too many names! A personal thanks to WibbsterVan and Aspa for being especially daring medics, never fearing to revive me even though it often means their death.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hehe, I'm gonna let you in on a little dirty secret: The medics aren't there to help you, or because they like you. It's all about the XP... -_^

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, we really do run far more engineers in infantry ops than makes the slightest bit of sense.

Also, the most effective gal drops (into contested territory - most gal drops are into the quiet) that I've seen us do have been when 80% of the dropped troops have been medics.

@Yargh 2 medics is not too many. 2 Medics is enough when everything is going well, but far too few for when things start going wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Hehe, I'm gonna let you in on a little dirty secret: The medics aren't there to help you, or because they like you. It's all about the XP... -_^
    I do it because I'm a terrible shot.

My problem with LA's is the same as infs who play sniper. In theory they're both great. In practice they end up in locations that medics and other people can't get to easily. I've lost count of the number of LAs I've seen going over the walls of a tech lab and dying on the other side.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I do it because I'm a terrible shot.
    Yeah, I was in jest of course. When rezzing outfit mates, or people from other outfits that I know and respect, I do it mostly because I want to see them continue fighting. When rezzing randoms, however...

I also agree with CMaster's observations on number of medics. 2 are not enough to keep a group in fighting condition if the going gets rough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I almost always played engineer before due to magriding and therefore having that class kitted out from the start. However, a while ago I picked up Heavy Assault for infantry combat and haven't looked back since. Shielding up and wreaking havoc upon the enemy is very satisfying.

The only class that I haven't upgraded to any extent is the medic. I don't know why, but it never appealed to me. Healers are of course essential in these types of games, and I appreciate the work done by the great medics in our outfit.

Keep in mind that the statistics reflects the whole time period from the start of the outfit until now, and recent class activity could very well be different.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Im mostly either a medic or HA. Unless driving mag, gal, sundy, esf when engy is the sensible choice.
    Played hardly any LA and very little inf.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh ... let's talk about the optimal setup for galdrops. I'd say 5 Medics, 5 Heavies, 1 Engineer (to keep the heavies shooting), 1 Infil.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Oh ... let's talk about the optimal setup for galdrops. I'd say 5 Medics, 5 Heavies, 1 Engineer (to keep the heavies shooting), 1 Infil.
    Someone has to drive the gal, though, so I'd say 4 Medics/4 Heavies instead. Depending on how good the medics are (i.e. less medics if we have people with lvl 6 medic gun).

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I almost always played engineer before due to magriding and therefore having that class kitted out from the start. However, a while ago I picked up Heavy Assault for infantry combat and haven't looked back since. Shielding up and wreaking havoc upon the enemy is very satisfying.

The only class that I haven't upgraded to any extent is the medic. I don't know why, but it never appealed to me. Healers are of course essential in these types of games, and I appreciate the work done by the great medics in our outfit.

Keep in mind that the statistics reflects the whole time period from the start of the outfit until now, and recent class activity could very well be different.
    Medics can pump out a tonne of damage and can get pretty tanky when they max out their healing ability. Stop shooting them for a second and they've shot back up health. That combined with the last tier of nanoweave makes them probably as beefy as HA in some scenarios.

They also have some really nice guns.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Medic is a combat beast, especially paired with the H-V45. It's just a different kind of pace to the HA. The HA thrives on a sequence of quick confrontations. Head in straight, pop up the shield, and kill 2-3 in a row. The medic approach is more deliberate and calculated: 1 on 1, and in between pause and regen back to full health.

The medic is a force multiplier. A damaged fellow soldier is a soldier temporarily out of the fight, and almost as good as dead. But the medic puts him right back in. Also, a medic revives them right back into the fight, not a 100 meters away in the nearest spawn, giving the opportunity to the enemy to consolidate his offense or defense.

Most of us do it, but it's worth reminding it once more: when a medic is healing you, cover him. And medics should not revive unless they are sure all the enemies in the immediate vicinity are dead, otherwise an enemy will show up when you are with your med-tool out and mow you down. Heavies engage them and medics finish them off.

And stop running away when there's nobody around but the guy healing you!

Steam ID

Galdrop: half medics, half heavies, one engi, one infil. I like the sound of that. If the medics are all lvl 6 meditool, then all the better!

What I'd like to do sometime soon is run a real Lancer squad. 9 heavies with Lancers, 2 medics and 1 engineer. Possibly switch one of the heavies into another engineer to be able to split into two halves (two ammo packs to resupply from). Or just have the sole engi use his/her ammo pack rather than mines or C4. We would roll around in a Sundy, positioning ourselves somewhere along a nice ridgeline with good line of sight across open ground approaching wherever the rest of RPS were hanging out, and stop any armour from rolling in. Might need a burster too, to keep mossies away. We always seem to forget the bursters.

Network Hub
    In the right hands a Lancer can deter ESFs too

Galdrop: half medics, half heavies, one engi, one infil. I like the sound of that. If the medics are all lvl 6 meditool, then all the better!

What I'd like to do sometime soon is run a real Lancer squad. 9 heavies with Lancers, 2 medics and 1 engineer. Possibly switch one of the heavies into another engineer to be able to split into two halves (two ammo packs to resupply from). Or just have the sole engi use his/her ammo pack rather than mines or C4. We would roll around in a Sundy, positioning ourselves somewhere along a nice ridgeline with good line of sight across open ground approaching wherever the rest of RPS were hanging out, and stop any armour from rolling in. Might need a burster too, to keep mossies away. We always seem to forget the bursters.
    Well, I'll probably PL next Thursday, if noone else would do it, and I'll like to try to try a similar set up. Not as a constant thing, but there are occasions such as big open battles that warrant it. Probably two squads, a little less heavy on the heavies per squad, but providing cover to each other, so they can do leapfrogging. Engies sit back on the sundies, and move them accordingly, and repair the MAXes (one engie and one MAX per squad). One squad armour, and one reserve. Perhaps acting as air cover.

Another option, and I cant recall which outfit (an American one, methinks) uses it, is to have the air squad switch to AA when on cooldown.

Now I'm rambling...

And during the UES Cooper had us do ghost caps with a gal full of medics. Even if most went down, the last man standing would still be able to revive the rest.

Also, and we did that both on various occasion under both Cooper and Wardancers, dropping a squad of heavies with dumbfire rockets on top of a hard to reach sundy.

Obscure Node
    Looks like our Strat Thursday got noticed, not sure about the response!

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i....110475/page-5

Maybe we shouldn't let on it was a platoon and a half...

Well I'll take that as a compliment