Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    This thread makes me cry about all the fun I am missing right now

This sounds very promising. It can become a little too zerg-y even when in a platoon at times, and when things stop being organised I am guilty of throwing myself at the enemy a bit like a headless chicken in a desperate attempt to hold them back as well as possible until we get a new specific order which tends to focus things a little again.

Also yes, Rei did a fine job yesterday, but ridebird is probably right about there being too much "counceling" from the sidelines, likely a fair bit from my end as well, even if it was never intended as more than heartfelt advice, and I for one will try to remedy this in the future.

Like I said earlier; in perp online or eve online, if you speak out of turn, it might end up with a shot to the back of the head.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    I would recommend that you bear in mind the fact that the consequences of failure in PS2 are vastly less than in either EVE or Perpetuum.
    I'm happy with some organisation and discipline but let's not go overboard here.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I would recommend that you bear in mind the fact that the consequences of failure in PS2 are vastly less than in either EVE or Perpetuum.
    I'm happy with some organisation and discipline but let's not go overboard here.
    Agreed, it's great that there are people out there that want to play in a bit more organised style but please don't forget that there's a sizeable proportion of of the outfit who really just want to hang out in a giraffe coloured sunderer as a drunken scandinavian drives them down near vertical cliffs...

yes, I am aware of that, but you do get very precise actions in eve or perp. thats why I said it. We dont need that precision, I think, and if we do, Im sure we can muster enough people to sit in a sub folder of Mumble, listening to whoever happens to be squad/platoon lead.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Uuh I aint shooting no one.

Anywayyyy comin online tonight finally! Home for a few days, then away for new years.

I've been hanging around Miller for a while but when I ditched by old ProSieben account I thought I might as well join you chums! Hello! Been a reader of RPS almost since the start so it was about time I joined the forums.
    Actually, I haven't had the heart yet to delete the other account. I have a bunch of unlocks, including the Zepher, so earlier tonight I tried my hand at being The Worst Teamplayer and ran the two clients (ProSieben and SOE) side by side to get some mileage out of the gun.

(yeah, rocking an Indar wallpaper to make it even more confusing)

I lived surprisingly long, but only because I was on the entirely wrong continent and didn't help the team one bit.

Had a blast earlier tonight on Esamir, and boy is it beautiful in twilight. I love taking screenshots in games and Planetside 2 is prettier than most. Do we have a gallery or something that everyone could contribute to? Perhaps it's time to start a thread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Mentioned in dispatches: Dewisant, for shooting down a Liberator with a Saron AT gun.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 27-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Network Hub
    I'd like to nominate whoever picked the Giraffe 'camo' for us.
    It really comes into its own when fighting the NC.
    Nothing makes you feel invulnerable like being able to run up to an NC Sunderer (busy spawning dozens of troops), dropping 2 AT mines on it, running off and being able to gun down a freshly spawned MAX and getting away alive. All because no one thought to look twice at the maniac in the Giraffe armour looking almost-but-not-quite like them.

giraffe01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I'd like to nominate whoever picked the Giraffe 'camo' for us.
    It really comes into its own when fighting the NC.
    Nothing makes you feel invulnerable like being able to run up to an NC Sunderer (busy spawning dozens of troops), dropping 2 AT mines on it, running off and being able to gun down a freshly spawned MAX and getting away alive. All because no one thought to look twice at the maniac in the Giraffe armour looking almost-but-not-quite like them.

giraffe01.jpg
    it really is worth it. Giraffes for life!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    That tank line that the BRTD formed near Black Ridge Garisson is one of their standard tactics it seems. Well, here is one of their videos, "Organized tank assault":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UnRI1eTFM

The logic behind this being that as they cut through, noone is going to be targeting any specific tank, so each one passes with just a couple of hits at the most. I've also seen them doing this with infantry, once when I was lonewolfing at a biolab. They apparently gathered inside the capped transporter, and then ran across to the next room in a line. There were VS around shooting at them, but I think that only a couple of them were killed till they got in there. Perhaps it was the shock factor I guess, seeing a straight line of TR just running across a narrow corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    That tank line that the BRTD formed near Black Ridge Garisson is one of their standard tactics it seems. Well, here is one of their videos, "Organized tank assault":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UnRI1eTFM

The logic behind this being that as they cut through, noone is going to be targeting any specific tank, so each one passes with just a couple of hits at the most. I've also seen them doing this with infantry, once when I was lonewolfing at a biolab. They apparently gathered inside the capped transporter, and then ran across to the next room in a line. There were VS around shooting at them, but I think that only a couple of them were killed till they got in there. Perhaps it was the shock factor I guess, seeing a straight line of TR just running across a narrow corridor.
    If life gives you TR, you make TRade! Time to get your boomsticks, if that happens again. For defence in narrow corridors, shotguns are recommended anyway.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

That glorious MAX+support assault on the biolab on Amerish yesterday shows how easy it is to do things right with a minimum of organisation going. More of this, please, it was great fun. Also thanks to ridebird for gritting his teeth and leading us through the various frustrations (and damned mountains).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    That glorious MAX+support assault on the biolab on Amerish yesterday shows how easy it is to do things right with a minimum of organisation going. More of this, please, it was great fun. Also thanks to ridebird for gritting his teeth and leading us through the various frustrations (and damned mountains).
    Seconded. Both points made. A very satisfying bio lab assault. Good call, Ridebird, and good job everyone who participated!

This is us. Always watching, never seen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Ha! Nice. Didn't see that 'raffe at first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar

That guy has giraffe camo certed to the max.

Yeah, bio lab assault was excellent. I shouldn't have to get a bit angry-voicey to make that shit work however! People are just so afraid of a little organization. I hope everyone that was with us liked it a lot and will be more willing to follow orders in the future, and then we can make more split squad play & comms work as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    !!500 giraffes!!

Though there is no outfit API yet, from as much as I can gather on wikis / forums etc. this makes [RPS] one of the 3 largest VS outfits on Miller.

INFINITE FRACTAL GIRAFFES!

Ok, a few things:

1) Now there's so bloody many of us, let's re-visit outfit ranks.
    It may be the "everyone is member" approach is no longer the best one... Although ranks are not the most useful of things (they can only be seen on the outfit member list), it may be useful to use them as a way to pick-out members with certain capabilities / willingness / general awesomeness

I already know what I want to do in terms of promotions. I want to avoid the usual process whereby people put themselves forward to those higher up for an extra pip on their collar. I'd rather implement a system whereby anyone in the outfit can put someone else forward. This can easily be an extension of the purple giraffes of awesomness we have now.

Firstly: ideas for names of the ranks? Currently they are as default and go; Leader, Officer, Member, Private, Recruit (though there is no permission differences between Recruit and Private.) These can all be customised. We need something RPS-y / giraffe-y to replace these.

Secondly: Suggestions as to what to do with outfit ranks (of which I'll either chose the one I think is the best suggestion, or put it to come kind of vote). In: What should outfit rank be an indication of? Should regular PLs and SLs be indicated? Only this? or also some kind of "your are awesome, have some stripes" thing too? Simply: If you see a rank on an outfit memeber, what would you like that to tell you about them / their position in the outfit (if anything in particular beyond them being generally deserving of purple giraffes).

2) Recruitment.
    I briefly toyed with the thought of advertising the outfit out on the PS2 forums and elsewhere, but I think "if you can find your way onto our Mumble and shoot lasers with it, then you're in" is working very well. At least as far as "if you can find your way onto Mumble" is an indication you know what RPS is about / what to expect. I don't think there is any need to push this further?

3) Videos / logos / screenshots
    The above being said, after John's post about the Folk ARPS, it obviously makes sense to ask so very nicely for a front page post about the three RPS PS2 outfits. It'd be nice to have something to put there that's purple.

Logos / something like that would be good to have a stab at too. Eventually PS2 will have customisable decals. It'd be nice to have something for then

4) Keep being awesome.
    This outfit has got so much larger than I ever expected. What's so brilliant about this is it's remained exactly the kind of thing I - and I imagine everyone else - wants from an RPS grouping.

Our size is a bit misleading given that many of our members are very occasional players, but that's absolutely fine: We have created an environment that, on any given night, someone can jump in and find a bunch of friendly people to shoot lasers with without any kind of unnecessary arse-iness. But, when we do step things up a bit, we're becomming a serious force to be reckoned with. It's genuinely ace. Well done you lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

RE: recruitment:

I played around at 6 in the morning, couldnt sleep, so I kept incognito and out of a squad, as I tend to do when Im not trying to organise anything. I found a guy that just stuck with me, and also talked back over text chat, so we ended up chatting some more, mindstormvs I think he was called, and I invited him to join us in playing with RPS anytime, as it was fun just running around together, taking poorly defended outposts. Anyway, he ended up telling me he had to leave his outfit as his mates never played anymore, so I just got him into RPS, and voila, new member is born
    I know this probably doesnt have anything to do with organisation, but I think it was awesome "meeting people" like this.

RE: ranks:

I think if we have ranks, it should just reflect the willingness of players to go for PL or SL when platoons arent necessary yet. That way, we can easily see if someone is willing to take over PL of a "session". And yes, I very much like the idea of people suggesting promotions for other players, as I often wonder if I was just shite at being PL or not. Stuff like this can really "reward/thank" people if theyve shown good tactics/experience/strategy or willingness to go beyond and above.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications