Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    SpecGiraffes can easily be >12. There's also the platoon 2 chanel.

Squads in game mean nothing apart from squad beacons. They are a useful format for stratgir nights, but outside of stratgir there is no need to have channels and squads match.

The easiest solution is for those who want a quiet channel to move themselves to SpecGiraffes or Platoon 2, setup someone in the PL channel there as well as the Platoon 1 PL channel. It doesn't require any shuffling about of people within the platoon into this or that squad.

As long as the two people in the leader channels are communicating, those who want something quieter can just move channel.

I don't get why that's so difficult?
    Ah you already said this... I just posted something similar on another thread. It's obvious though right?
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    SpecGiraffes can easily be >12. There's also the platoon 2 chanel.

Squads in game mean nothing apart from squad beacons. They are a useful format for stratgir nights, but outside of stratgir there is no need to have channels and squads match.

The easiest solution is for those who want a quiet channel to move themselves to SpecGiraffes or Platoon 2, setup someone in the PL channel there as well as the Platoon 1 PL channel. It doesn't require any shuffling about of people within the platoon into this or that squad.

As long as the two people in the leader channels are communicating, those who want something quieter can just move channel.

I don't get why that's so difficult?
    As Ridebird mentioned, the issue was never with people wanting things quiet, just a bit more structured and less confusing.

That said, I think I understand Grible now, it got in the way of his operation. I can't truthfully remember exactly how it went down in the beginning, but either way I can see how that would have been supremely annoying and that is most regrettable. If it matters at all, my contributions were made in the interest of resolving the situation as quickly as possible and getting back into the fight.

I was not aware that The Hydraffe was going to be a short-term thing either, if I'm honest. Now I may have missed this detail but if I'd known this, I likely wouldn't have been as vocal about splitting comms (yet).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Whether directly implied, or not, I am obviously involved in this, so i would just like to add, that I never had an issue with the comms being split, just the way that people went about it.

I know the quick solution was just to move into strat channels, but that limits chat to 12 people, which is the ONLY thing i was really arguing about(if that, as i viewed it more as a discussion tbh).

I apologise if people found my insistance annoying yesterday, but in the end I did have a chat with some of the other guys, and made the decision to split us into platoon 1 and 2, which hopefully calmed things down a little, as we then had 2 squads per PL to lead, and PLs in contact with each other. I think this works well for when it becomes crowded, so it will be how i personally proceed in the future, unless told otherwise.

Yes, i did think that splitting was a bad idea for a casual night, but ONLY because originally it was to split into strat channels when people should have been in casual comms. I understand the pull of tighter squads, but for new players its much more fun to chat and get to know us in larger comms, even if it is a laughable mess. I think there should be that one day a week where we put up with messy gameplay to just have fun and meet new people, because thats what I enjoy about weds.

I dont particularly mind how things are organised, but i think its utterly pointless becoming wound up about messy comms, not because i dont understand, but because its a waste of argument :P... If people as a whole want to go strat, fair enough, but if there are people who want to talk in larger groups, is it too much to ask that people put up with it occasionally?

EDIT: Again, I dont mean "go strat" as a playstyle thing, just a comms thing, since thats what we are discussing.

Anyway, its not my call in the long run, but hopefully in the end the "lets take a moment to calm down and sort out two platoons" decisions made a difference.

I posted some similar points on the purple weds thread, but in essence its the same stuff.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 08-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.

There's nothing to "put up" with, because big groups in and of itself is not the issue. The motion to split only arose because we had stopped zergblobbing which turned the comms into a clusterfuck and, as has been pointed out before, if we were to actually do this, we would ultimately have to talk less shit because there were so many of us in one channel. It was practically motivated as a solution to an obvious problem. Making things "strategic" or "hardcore" or whatever you want to call it did not factor in to it. Having one day with messing about is absolutely fine, but we weren't playing messily at that point.

And ultimately, the reason why a 2xSquad setup worked in the end was because we didn't really move as individual squads any more at that point, but kept the two blobs close together. If we'd kept doing the Hydraffe at length, it would have become troublesome again.

I'm also not entirely sure if every new guy prefers a 30+ mumble channel. Some, perhaps many may think so, but I'd be wary of sweeping assumptions at the best of times.

Anyway, I think every argument has been repeated multiple times by now so I'm going to put a lid on it from my side with this post. Time to look ahead.

A 30+ channel is just confusing. Ever noticed how there's always the same 7 or 8 guys talking? The rest barely get a chance to open their mouth. I'd rather sit in a 15+ channel where I can actually say stuff and where there's natural silences in the chatter.

As a new guy, you feel less inclined to ask people stuff. You don't know if that'll go down well, if that will interfere with any tactical information, and you'd have to interrupt people because the channel is so busy. At least, that's how I would feel. You're joining a group of 30 people that know each other and have their own culture as a group. To start talking as a new guy in front of an audience like that is effing scary.

I'm guessing this all boils down to splitcomm (2 channels, no order) vs stratcomm (every squad their own channel, stratgir), and that people suggested splitcomm and that other people thought stratcomm.

I know, it is not purple... But classy as fuck!

Network Hub
    Is Cooper the monocled giraffe or the Mog?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Cooper riding his classy giraffes into battle.

After he revealed to us what he currently does outside of RPS, i see Cooper more as the Giraffe.

Also, for a post on a VS thread, that Giraffe has a questionably coloured handkerchief.

Madmoxxi living up to her name there.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

I think the classy giraffe is Cooper and all of us other is the Mog, supporting him.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    After he revealed to us what he currently does outside of RPS, i see Cooper more as the Giraffe.

Also, for a post on a VS thread, that Giraffe has a questionably coloured handkerchief.

Madmoxxi living up to her name there.
    Now I'm curious. Does he work at a zoo or something?

Related, it might be fun to have a thread where we all share what we do in normal life.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Planetside Universe have updated their API. We now have an outfit leaderboard:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/l...Planet+Shotgun

Edit: This only includes characaters which have been viewed over at PSU. To look at your stats, go to:
    www.planetside-universe.com/characters.php
    And search for your character name.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Interesting to see how mindburst has half again as much playtime as any other outfit member...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Interesting to see how mindburst has half again as much playtime as any other outfit member...
    Mr Eclectic beats mindburst for playtime...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Oh, my bad. Didn't sort the list on playtime.

Dear lord, Im crap.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I was like, 92nd.. better than I would have thought seeing as ive only got a day or so playtime.

Ok, seriously... I dont have a life...
    I found another one xD

I have even more time.

PurpleRPSGiraffes.jpg
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

SO BEAUTIFUL