Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1385
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Does anyone else find that our sub forum is very very cluttered and information is difficult to find. That there's a lot of cross talk, a lot of people repeating the same things in different threads.

There's about 3 or 4 threads for giving people purple giraffes, even though one was set up for this in mind and even at that it gets into other threads.

We've this thread and another called "Planetside 2: Outfits, outings & other details" as well as individual threads for those outings (silly mondays, tactical thursdays, freedom fridays), the outfits (vanu outfit, nc outfit, allies outfits".

We've a tact discussion started by ridebird and then another by eso and way back about five pages a discussion on fixing the strat game by quanta. We've about two or three threads on what's worth buying with station cash/certs. There's a thread of two for community knowledge. We even have two topics on baking/cooking! Two topics on sundys.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that at least I think we've too many topics and discussion ends up all over the place. Important topics are being pushed back (dear god give us stickys) and I really think we're just making a clusterf*ck of the sub forum.

@Ride, Jim seems to dislike giving anyone mod status which is a shame because we really really do need one in here or at least to get the most important topics a sticky tag so they never get pushed off the front page.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Does anyone else find that our sub forum is very very cluttered and information is difficult to find. That there's a lot of cross talk, a lot of people repeating the same things in different threads.

There's about 3 or 4 threads for giving people purple giraffes, even though one was set up for this in mind and even at that it gets into other threads.

We've this thread and another called "Planetside 2: Outfits, outings & other details" as well as individual threads for those outings (silly mondays, tactical thursdays, freedom fridays), the outfits (vanu outfit, nc outfit, allies outfits".

We've a tact discussion started by ridebird and then another by eso and way back about five pages a discussion on fixing the strat game by quanta. We've about two or three threads on what's worth buying with station cash/certs. There's a thread of two for community knowledge. We even have two topics on baking/cooking! Two topics on sundys.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that at least I think we've too many topics and discussion ends up all over the place. Important topics are being pushed back (dear god give us stickys) and I really think we're just making a clusterf*ck of the sub forum.

@Ride, Jim seems to dislike giving anyone mod status which is a shame because we really really do need one in here or at least to get the most important topics a sticky tag so they never get pushed off the front page.
    Yes. 10char.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Either that, or we will have to move somewhere where we do have admin rights, such as http://rockplanetshotgun.enjin.com.

That would be sad, but it might become necessary. I think the chatter is necessary to keep us moving forward, but the lack of structure (everything thread in one big list) is hurting us too much.

We do really need to tidy up these forums. Can't someone at least be given mod status on just this sub forum?

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    More practically, I can perhaps put it on our website?
    CMaster, I'd be happy to help getting the guides across to the website. My own website is based on Wordpress so I know my way around the dashboard.

I agree that absolutely everything being in one big thread can be a mess but additionally people might miss out on important information if they don't read every thread because of similar titles.

Realistically how many threads do we need?
    1) How to join the outfits available + mumble could be one single thread, where the first three posts explain a) how to join b) how to set up mumble for regular use c) how to set up mumble for SL/RL/PL
    2) What nights we play and what are played those nights.
    3) A single beginners guide that either a) links to other topics or b) is set up by and moderated by a single person who reserves the first few posts and then collects all the available data for what new players need to know. EG, whats a tech plant, what do you do in it, what terminals do I go to for tanks or planes or changing from engineer to medic. Whats the difference between classes.

These topics should be made and then for all purposes should be locked or not posted in unless by the person who made it if they need to update the information along with the game.

Things like discussion of the game and the outfit will always be popular enough not to need a sticky.

As for moving, it might be necessary but it'd have to be a last resort. We can't have information spilling out across two different sites.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Realistically how many threads do we need?
    1) How to join the outfits available + mumble could be one single thread, where the first three posts explain a) how to join b) how to set up mumble for regular use c) how to set up mumble for SL/RL/PL
    2) What nights we play and what are played those nights.
    3) A single beginners guide that either a) links to other topics or b) is set up by and moderated by a single person who reserves the first few posts and then collects all the available data for what new players need to know. EG, whats a tech plant, what do you do in it, what terminals do I go to for tanks or planes or changing from engineer to medic. Whats the difference between classes.
    I'd go so far as to say that we we could combine 1) and 2). After all, the "how to join the outfit" needn't be more than a sentence ("Join our Mumble server (see below) and ask").

So:
    1) How to join/when we play/Mumble
    2) Beginner's guide

That's probably all that needs to be stickied - perhaps Outfit discussion as well?

And I think that our NC frenemies should have a sticky as well.
    Last edited by Kyndylan; 22-04-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Rock, Traitor, Shotgun
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Which one though? This one or the one called outfit discussion?

And you're right, 1 and 2 could be put together.

@GinSoaked - It's surprisingly difficult to get a sub mod on here.

Steam ID

Which one though? This one or the one called outfit discussion?
    Well currently there's:

1. Rock, Planet, Shogtun: Outfit discussion / organisation / purple giraffes of awesome (this thread)
    2. [RPS] Outfit guide
    3. Can I graze that: A guide for Giraffe Calves to weapons, cert choices and tasty leave
    4. Discussion: the state of the game
    5. Planetside 2: Outfits, outings & other details
    6. Mumble voice comms.: Basic setup & [RPS] Strategic giraffe leader comms.

Never mind other things like StratGir and Weapon Appreciation Society.

Going on the above, I think numbers 2 and 3 can be combined and stickied, and numbers 5 and 6 should be combined and stickied. Number 5 in particular sometimes drifts down the page, when it's actually the most important for newcomers!

Once they've been written, posted and sticked they can be locked. I'd be happy to do some of the compiling, but obviously this all depends on whether we can get a mod.

Numbers 1 and 4 serve different purposes, and should be kept seperate. I don't think they need to be stickied, as they're permanently near the top.
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    It's a complete mess, yeah, hence my call for submod. They don't seem to give that out though and they don't seem to want to moderate. Can you delete threads yourself?
    Find me on the Steams

I'm not sure if you can, you can probably just request it for deletion.

*EDIT*

Maybe if enough of us email Jim requesting it, using the same email and just sign it he'll take notice. It sounds extreme but we really really do need a mod for this sub forum, even if that mods only power is to sticky and unsticky threads.

I believe Quanta previously tried to get Jim to sticky some threads or he at least tried to get a collection of threads to be sticky'd but nothing ever came of it.

Steam ID

Is not John a better idea? Jim is rather busy with being a dev.
    Find me on the Steams

Jim is about the only one who pays attention to the forums from the main writers. He'll also answer emails when he gets the chance and since he does have a fondness for Planetside 2 he might find the time to make someone a mod.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    More practically, I can perhaps put it on our website?
    Do with it as you will! You can probably extract everything you need from that Evernote link - note that the screenshots do exist in a larger format, for some reason Evernote only shows quite-large-but-still-not-correct-number-of-pixels thumbnails, so open them as separate pages and they'll be larger.

And yes, I find the forums a bit daunting at the moment due to the lack of organisation. I think people are afraid of making new threads about things because if we don't keep things in one thread, we lose them somewhere down the page.
    Last edited by zekone; 23-04-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Either that, or we will have to move somewhere where we do have admin rights, such as http://rockplanetshotgun.enjin.com.

That would be sad, but it might become necessary. I think the chatter is necessary to keep us moving forward, but the lack of structure (everything thread in one big list) is hurting us too much.
    Even less people are likely to contribute on the forums if the outfit decides to move.

Tweeted at Jim and Alec. No response. Trying John next.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    Even less people are likely to contribute on the forums if the outfit decides to move.
    Yeah, it's a really bad idea, but this situation is getting ridiculous. We will need a place where we can split discussions up by outfit (!) and also by general topic (class discussions, guides/tutorials, events/general organisation/recruitment, etc).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Yes, we definitely need sub-forums. I feel though that moving into a separate site should be the option of last resort.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, it's a really bad idea, but this situation is getting ridiculous. We will need a place where we can split discussions up by outfit (!) and also by general topic (class discussions, guides/tutorials, events/general organisation/recruitment, etc).

Really? With that split we would have about 1-1.5 threads per category... Yeah that would really liven things up.

The only thing we need is to just be able to create and sticky a few important threads with information in them, no discussion just the current and latest info on mumble setups etc. Game related guides and whatnot are hardly something that requires stickys and even something that we need to do. There is plenty of youtube videos, official forums, reddits whatever with that kind of stuff. Sure we can and will have discussion threads about tips, small cert guides and whatever. If people want that info they can look for it, if they do not wanna look for it they are gonna ask for it. Does not matter if you have the most organized forum of all time, it still comes down to wether the person is willing to spend 5 minutes to look around or if he is just gonna ask.

Sometimes I think people over analyze and complicate things...

Now, I will rant a wee bit:

Most people just wanna play the bloody game with a fun bunch of people which is what RPS has delivered but is something we are actually getting less and less off. I am really bloody tired of people interrupting a decent fight and organization in the middle of "primetime" (between 10-10.30 CET) to split off squads, muck about with trying to find ROs, SLs, PLs and spend 30 mins setting things up so that when we are finally ready to go out and fight again half the people with jobs have to leave or just have another 15-30 mins left to play. Especially fun when you do not end up in the squad that has Grible, Sinomatic, CMaster, Esoteric, Ridebird, Eclectic, Laldy or any of the other chatty fun people and have a completely and utterly dead mumble channel. What you are doing is fucking up peoples game sessions and taking their time to do what? Win against who? A lot of us who play the game do not give a rats ass about winning or being the best we just want to play the game and have a good time for 1-2 hours before going to bed.

Yes split comms is awesome, yes everyone together is awesome, all the shit we do tend to be awesome... but if you want split comms for a night organize that at the "start" of the night, that is around 20-21 CET. Do not do repeat what happened yesterday because that was one of the most pointless squad splits I have ever seen... It took forever, the only reason we managed to keep the lock was because NC was utterly useless and focused on killing TR instead of taking the 2 territories we had left. Moxxi hopped into the game because I was playing and it sounded like a good time (which it was, Charlie/Delta had a bunch of fun people)... until someone felt they had to recall everyone to warpgate spend 30 minutes splitting the squads, putting her in a squad she did not want to and then she left because she had to go to bed. So instead of getting to play a game she actually enjoys and chatter with the lovely people we actually have, she got nothing and then rage quit because, fuck that not worth her time. I stayed on for a while after and hell I do not even think we knew who the platoon leader was after the split, and after a while of doing our own thing with little to no leading it ended up just being 3 squad leaders doing it cooperatively. Which in the end did work out very well.

This is not a diss of any particular setup, this is not a diss of a particular person this is just a rant about wasting peoples time. What I am trying to say is that from what I have seen and looking to myself, generally I do not really care what comms system we use but what I gets me annoyed is that we sometimes interrupts a decent operation to change it.

Well this got long and probably does not make any sense so: TL;DR
    Please stop messing with comms setup in the middle of the "primetime" sessions, especially when we already have a Alpa/Bravo Charlie/Delta split that seems to work. 21.30-22.30 CET should never, EVER be interrupted by "Hey lets change the comms-system and sit in the warpgate for 30 minutes". Because not everyone can play from 19.30-24.00.

I was gonna end this with a massive purple giraffe for the SL of Charlie last night who did the very best of the situation and after finding the right guide fixed his mumble setup to be able to talk to the rest of the SLs/PL. But seems to have forgotten his name heh.

Edit: To clarify, I bloody love the new coms-setup, once I found out what the parent/current meant. It is simple, easy to use. I also appreciate and love all the time that people put into creating the comms, the training session, leading the platoon. There is a reason why I have pretty much played the game every single night since release, and that reason is RPS.
    Last edited by Wardancer; 23-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    I was gonna end this with a massive purple giraffe for the SL of Charlie last night who did the very best of the situation and after finding the right guide fixed his mumble setup to be able to talk to the rest of the SLs/PL. But seems to have forgotten his name heh.
    I think you are referring to the guy with the unpronounceable name beginning with E? He was doing a pretty good job, although he did insist in moving my sundie every damn time I parked it.

Other than that, I'm going to suggest we move as much of the "information" stuff (mumble set up, cert advice, RPS lingo) to the website, and expand the staff on there significantly to keep it up to date. I'd also add that we really can keep things quite brief, as we don't need to be (and shouldn't try to be) a PS2 gameplay guide.
    Last edited by CMaster; 23-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh yeah also:

Baloon Leader nominations for Jacquar, SketchSeven and CoffeeTable (if he doesn't have it already). They've all been doing it a lot and I've no significant complaints.