Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    I vote for the 4 layer approach: Cooper, Platoon Leader, Squad Leader, Cannon Fodder.
    I'll mostly be playing Cannon Fodder but I have invested in a spawn beacon if I'm designated squad leader for some absurd reason.

I'm an advocate for the Platoon Leader to only give general squad instructions: go take that and leave the rest to the squad.
    I'm not so sure that being proactive on defense is that fun an idea though as there is a fair chance of a squad waiting in vain for a while at a desolate outpost in the middle of nowhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    My main issue with ranks being indicative of willingness to do x or y is that that willingness is often contextual. In that sometimes I'm on for a fair few hours and will happily take SL or PL, sometimes I just pop in for half an hour and wouldn't want to be given PL.

Usually a vacating PL / SL will simply ask for a volunteer. I think that's a decent enough way to do it for now. If anything, what we need is some kind of encouragement for more people step up as PL / SL; it's really not that daunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Although i've been terrible at the game, and communicating on mumble i've experienced nothing but awesome. Keep it up RPS dudes. Purple giraffes for all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Well, the SL or PL that can stay will then lead. You arent forced to lead. The thing with ranks is to make things more structured and less ad hoc. Volounteers for leading is all well, but if we has a few people to rely on when theyre on things would be more smooth in this regard, while also knowing that the person leading knows what theyre doing and is certed.

Oh and I like the independent SL thing as well. PL says do this and squad decides how based on whats needed. Would be nice with air support squads etc as well, and using channels on mumble to make it less confusing. Right now we have plenty of platoon play, but squads don't really mean much.

Ive found it very confusing in the past to coordinate on a squad level. Usually, the entire platoon ie. everyone online in the outfit currently, is in the same mumble channel, and there is no squad internal comms or tactics. its mostly just platoonlevel.

For lower population thats great, but for coordinated attacks on different locations, bleh.

(Of course, I did have a lot of fun so far, but I just see where it can be optimised)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Also, don't take this the wrong way, uh, everyone, but in the mumble chat, aside from a few people with (to me) distinctive accents, everyone pretty much sounds the same, and by the time I've looked away from the gunfight to see who's talking, they've either stopped, or I'll just forget in five seconds anyway because my short term memory is terrible and aside from a few people with (to me) distinctive accents, everyone pretty much sounds the same.

So, I suggest that from now on we all adopt a uniquely outrageous false accent.

Network Hub
    It would probably make the most sense to do opt-in organisation.
    In this case the people who want more organised play could sign-up somewhere say and agree pre-session what they are doing. We could split squad comms off in mumble. The problem is the need to rearrange squads as people join and leave make this not a practical choice for every squad in the platoon.

These organised squads could then go to the extra effort to ensure that they are capable of communicating with the rest of the platoon via shout to parent. Letting the platoon leader(s) know that they have organised air support available for example would add to the game for the less organised people while allowing the organised squads to work with the RPS horde.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Ive found it very confusing in the past to coordinate on a squad level. Usually, the entire platoon ie. everyone online in the outfit currently, is in the same mumble channel, and there is no squad internal comms or tactics. its mostly just platoonlevel.

For lower population thats great, but for coordinated attacks on different locations, bleh.

(Of course, I did have a lot of fun so far, but I just see where it can be optimised)
    Yes, this is what I want to mainly work on really. We need linked channels because of this. Platoonlevel comms is all well and good, but it gets a bit chaotic and chatty. You often feel like you interrupt others and it's very hard to communicate between eachother in a vehicle for example. Because of this the in-game voice could be somewhat attractive really. It sounds okay and it has channels etc already fixed.

Regarding voices etc, most people never say their name when they ask for something. "Come to my tank" is not exactly helpful when you all brits sound fairly similar to me.. Well, not really, but it's hard making out individuals when 30 people are on

Also, ranks etc would be nice to have. Currently when you get PL you're mainly the waypoint dude and not so much the dude in charge. People generally do what they want and organization is hard because of this, but I'm fairly sure most people prefer to roll this way as well. Maybe organized outings is the only way to sort this out, so you can have orders and ranks during that.

Activated Node
    Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but why don't people just use the mumble overlay? It's very customisable and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Yes, this is what I want to mainly work on really. We need linked channels because of this. Platoonlevel comms is all well and good, but it gets a bit chaotic and chatty. You often feel like you interrupt others and it's very hard to communicate between eachother in a vehicle for example. Because of this the in-game voice could be somewhat attractive really. It sounds okay and it has channels etc already fixed.

Regarding voices etc, most people never say their name when they ask for something. "Come to my tank" is not exactly helpful when you all brits sound fairly similar to me.. Well, not really, but it's hard making out individuals when 30 people are on

Also, ranks etc would be nice to have. Currently when you get PL you're mainly the waypoint dude and not so much the dude in charge. People generally do what they want and organization is hard because of this, but I'm fairly sure most people prefer to roll this way as well. Maybe organized outings is the only way to sort this out, so you can have orders and ranks during that.
    As for the self name calling: I dont have that problem, I think, but I more often than not forget to call out the direction I see a certain enemy. For some reason, I find it very confusing the way the compass works. There should be on at the top of the screen too, at all times.

Also, Im QuantaCat! Im the one with the decidedly Austrian accent, Qaz is the one with the funky "could be british but isnt" accent, and we have several dutch guys. I think Lysander has a very unique voice too
    (Also, Ive played with several people on mumble before, so I assume its just a thing of getting used to. JG is always recognisable, as well as Sceptrum. Now all thats missing is Kads and we have a crack team.)

Also also, I award Jim "Andov" Rossignol with the prize for broody mumbling but still remaining clear.

Also also also, we should have a group of people that can actually call the shots. Cooper, for sure, but Andov, qaz, Onesomething(I forgot, crap!), etc. Not just "who had enough certs for squad beacon". I wouldnt mind being a squad leader of a small squad, but anything more than that, no go.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 02-12-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    I'd be keen for some more organised outings.

Mass carnage laser charges are great fun, but coordinated light assault flanking, simultaneous drop pod deploys, stuff like that would be awesome.

I find I get better at the game quicker in sessions where PL / SL are taking control, as well. At the moment I still find the game a bit too fast paced to chat much meaningful on mumble, and keeping track of the bigger picture is hard due to not yet knowing the maps that well (the one time I was handed PL we were on Esamir, I'd not played on that continent at all before so could do little other than update waypoints based on what people wanted to do). Strategic / tactical direction from players who know the game well has helped me get a lot more from it, and it feeds back straight away into solo and loose group play as well.

If people want, I can always talk in my Red Alert 1 Russian voice, even though I'm Norwegian :P

Some voices are recognizable, others are not. I do think however, it is a matter of getting used to them.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Cobalt) : SceptrumTR (Cobalt)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    OK, noob here, just got invited to the outfit (VS/Miller, MrEclectic). It was a brief session, but it was glorious! Chaotic, hectic. Great fun all around.

Highlight of the session was my first flight aboard of a Galaxy: Warped to Indar, got aboard, en route to Hvar, and we crashed before I knew what happened. Somehow that was genuinely fun. Purple giraffe to the pilot (sorry, amidst the confusion I didnt get the handle - no, I'm not being sarcastic).

I was generally a bit useless, running around as a medic, healing and reviving, but I was always missing my squad (Delta), and kept following Alpha to Charlie instead. I hope to be of more use in the future. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Cooper, for sure, but Andov, qaz, Onesomething(I forgot, crap!)
    Erm... is that me maybe?

I think that as Cooper mentioned earlier sometimes the same people don't want to SL or PL every time, so it's nice to be able to ask for volunteers when you have to leave or just aren't in the mood.
    I know that on some days I just want to sit back and let someone else make the decisions while I shoot stuff but on others a bit of strategy can be just the ticket.

With regards to organisation; from my days in PR there seemed to be a way of splitting the channels down to squad level. So for example, Squad 1 could only hear the other members of Squad 1, whereas their squad leader could communicate with the other squad leaders at the touch of a separate button.
    As PS2 is a little more casual, splitting mumble channels into squads and then simply having a transmit to all Squads/platoons button that everyone could use would be quite a useful tool. Basically just like the in game chat except more reliable and clearer.

I don't know how easy that would be to set up but it's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pigeon View Post
    Erm... is that me maybe?

I think that as Cooper mentioned earlier sometimes the same people don't want to SL or PL every time, so it's nice to be able to ask for volunteers when you have to leave or just aren't in the mood.
    I know that on some days I just want to sit back and let someone else make the decisions while I shoot stuff but on others a bit of strategy can be just the ticket.

With regards to organisation; from my days in PR there seemed to be a way of splitting the channels down to squad level. So for example, Squad 1 could only hear the other members of Squad 1, whereas their squad leader could communicate with the other squad leaders at the touch of a separate button.
    As PS2 is a little more casual, splitting mumble channels into squads and then simply having a transmit to all Squads/platoons button that everyone could use would be quite a useful tool. Basically just like the in game chat except more reliable and clearer.

I don't know how easy that would be to set up but it's just a thought.
    Can we get in contact with the mumble man and see if he can do it for us? Healthire, my friend that's also in RPS Vanu, is quite experienced with Mumble, and I think he has fixed this for me before when me and my guild were using his server. Could ask him.

Enjoyed playing yesterday, quite like playing as a medic, will have to do so more often!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I've never felt the need for strong squad and platoon organisation, but I have occasionally felt the lack of clear leadership (and been hypocritically annoyed by it despite having no intention of stepping up myself. Shame on me). I like to have someone with a plan in charge, even if it's just the occasional "right, we're going here now" and a platoon waypoint, and the odd "we're getting slaughtered for no reason, regroup at the warp gate".

The one thing I'd say to people would be check the size of the platoon (either in the social window or the mumble overlay if you're using that), and try to tailor your chat behavious accordingly - with a single squad on, it's a good time to tell your awesome story about how you just shot down a galaxy and then couldn't shake off a mosquito but then he crashed into you and you both exploded but you got the kill; with four squads on, it's probably best to keep quiet and use mumble for organisation and tactical info.
    On the other hand, if you're crushing the enemy and driving them before you and hearing the lamentation of their women, and you're all convoying towards the next destination and there isn't really any tactical info to give, you can probably indulge in taking the piss out of Grible a bit, for team building purposes. Just pick your times to chat and your times to keep the frequency clear.

Very much agreed, Weasel. There was a lot of unnecessary chatter when we were 35 people yesterday. Hopefully we can sort that out with channels soon though. I was thinking of unleashing the RPS hordes on my poor Amazon EC2 server, but I have no idea how much data we'd use, and I can't afford expensive server costs. If so I could fix channels in a day though.

Regarding leadership, I got a bit shouty for the first time yesterday as I was quite annoyed at the fact that no one was listening and doing what was needed. This is extremely common at facilities, as everyone just runs around and muck about. You get nothing done that way. See how we helped Eisa immensly yesterday with our galdrop? That was because everyone listened to Lysander because he was shouty (and has a lovely and quite special voice). That's extremely crucial in this game, I think, at least if you want to accomplish something. You can be a serious force to be reckoned with if you do what we did yesterday, when we moved out together and organized. I LOVED that, defo my best time in PS2 so far. We made a huge difference as well, with that many magriders.

A person that takes up leadership of the platoon should speak up and be vocal, and not be afraid to decide things. Ranks, again, could help with this, as you gain something to prove your worth. It might sound dumb, but I think it matters much if you know that this dude is a leader and is designated as such.

Generally when I lead I feel like there's a few people that want to be led and enjoy it, some people that would like to lead but never speak up, and then there's quite a few who just wants to play and don't really listen, or see the value in orders and organizaton. I think we should further promote people following orders and make sure we're working together, and that the leader is a person that gets listened to. It doesn't have to be all fascism and boredom because of that - the chaos is still there, but you can make something happen. That's what takes PS2 to the next level for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Suggestion:

Just putting it out there, but perhaps we could have a social platoon and a following-orders-and-no-mucking-about platoon?

Maybe "The Flying Giraffes" could be about finding fights, no chat policy, with the leader just deciding where to go next and providing the barest level of overall direction, while the "Insert another name" platoon could have a designated leader with subordinate squad leaders and a clean mumble.

Just an idea