Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Go Giraffes!

I think the idea of ranks is fun. It would be good to reward people for efficient leadership, piloting etc. However if they serve no purpose and can only be seen on the member list, is there any need? Do the different ranks have particular priveledges that make them worth dishing out?

With regards to video, I bought a pvr and editing package recently and I've been recording most of our recent Wednesday and Thursday outings. I've been messing around trying to make a montage; there's a fair bit of good footage but I've never edited video before so it's a slow process!

If it turns out ok I'll post it here I guess!

Im gonna be a bitch and state my unwillingness about recording here:

Im a film producer. I do a lot of editing, films, music videos, etc. But for the love of fuck, I dont want to do it when Im trying to have fun. So good luck to you, I wont watch it, not because I think itll be horrible, just because Im a horrible person at not nitpicking every fucking thing apart. Nothing personal
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Well that's knocked my confidence! Haha.

As I said I'm a complete beginner with that sort of stuff, but I would say that just by running around with the platoon and recording in the background I came out with quite a lot of useful footage! I don't think I ever removed myself from the action so I could record something cool.

Maybe I should be doing that.....?

Oh god I'm not doing it anymore lol. Maybe you should just give it a go, RPS and the Giraffes deserve a professional job!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
    Well that's knocked my confidence! Haha.

As I said I'm a complete beginner with that sort of stuff, but I would say that just by running around with the platoon and recording in the background I came out with quite a lot of useful footage! I don't think I ever removed myself from the action so I could record something cool.

Maybe I should be doing that.....?

Oh god I'm not doing it anymore lol. Maybe you should just give it a go, RPS and the Giraffes deserve a professional job!
    Ill make a thread about it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I see no point in using ranks as a reward for being awesome.. The purple giraffe system works for that.

Leader, Officer, Member (named in a giraffy way) is good enough, and I think leaders should be officers, and have some say in things and have earned some credibility through leadership.

Videos and logos would be cool. I can only write, so I will not step forward and do any of that. Regarding recruitment (a la John can post for us, I've thought about this as well) doesn't really seem to be needed. We're already loads and there's always people to play with. If we get stuck with a lot of inactivity (I would guess about 250 out of our 500 are never logging on for example) and can't get a platoon going regularly such a post would do well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    About recruitment - I'd say that this is the Rock Paper Shotgun community outfit as it were, and it should remain such as such - ie it's a PS2 outfit for people who fall under the (fairly vague) umbrella of the RPS community. Reaching outside of that seems beyond the idea. Front page mentions would be neat though, especially with a video.

Ranks - I'd suggest that the only sensible thing to do here is to make regular "leaders" having some appropriate rank, and leave everyone else at member. So Ridebird, Cooper, Quanta, Laldy, (Me?), etc have them. I quite like the RPS outfit being quite a "flat" organisation, where people take up roles dynamically.

Videos = been meaning to do something on this. Hint for Mitchk - try Sony Vegas. Great tool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Leader, Officer, Member (named in a giraffy way) is good enough, and I think leaders should be officers, and have some say in things and have earned some credibility through leadership.
    If we go with that, perhaps tower (as in a tower of giraffes - you've mentioned a couple of days ago), giraffe, calf? Or too literal?
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 01-01-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Agree with Ridebird on ranks.

Yeah, throwing myself in with ridebird and cmaster's (and yes, you're definitely included in my opinion!) posts, especially since it doesn't appear to be any urgent need for anything more elaborate at this point. But having some leaders with a bit more authority to whip the rest of us rabble into shape when needed sounds like a good idea.

Am I included?

I don't really think it is neccesary to have a huge chain of command system. Usually when it is time for PL to be assigned, everyone shies away from the job. In general, if you want to be PL, you can be PL. I'd propose we have something like this:

- Leaders/Founders/Admins (group admin with kick powers), like Cooper and RIDEBIRD. More than one person, but not more than a handful.
    - Everyone else.

Which is basically what we have now. My vote (if this is a democracy) is to not change a thing.

If you want to whip a platoon into shape, ask if you can be the leader (if it's not RIDEBIRD or Cooper leading, chances are that they don't want to be PL anyway) and tell everyone to go somewhere and do something. It happened to me last week and we had a great defense of Quartz Ridge/Hvar leading up to our epic tank battle at Indar Excavation.

Honestly I've been considering giving it a go for a while, I just want to focus on getting better at the game itself and farming certs for a while longer so I have a better grip of the tools of the trade and flow of battles on the continents before trying my hand at command.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Purple Giraffe for all the team in that super-effective galaxy drop on Highroads. It didn't lead to a continent lock, but seeing them so completely wrong-footed by it, and a war of attrition turned into an instant cap was great.

Another for JG for being really helpful with comms and organisation throughout, and for leading the second squad to counter backcapping.

And finally to Laldy, for being so damn useful when I'm in command (spotting and dealing with important tactical stuff), and for leading effectively when I'm following.

Oh, and one little thing for those who fought so damn hard at that little sattelite-choke-point around Tumas:
    Last edited by CMaster; 02-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Purple Giraffe for all the team in that super-effective galaxy drop on Highroads. It didn't lead to a continent lock, but seeing them so completely wrong-footed by it, and a war of attrition turned into an instant cap was great.
    We actually got the third continent lock at last, around midnight GMT. Triple lock for the Vanu Sovereignty!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    We actually got the third continent lock at last, around midnight GMT. Triple lock for the Vanu Sovereignty!
    Yes, we did! On new year's they broke our cap lock on Indar, and we came back with a vengeance. Go purple, and go giraffes!

Purple giraffes all around, and especially to CMaster and JG. Thanks for the leadership and especially the patience, guys. The comms were crazy sometimes. And JG, I gather that you acted as communications liaison with the Vanu Accord.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Another for JG for being really helpful with comms and organisation throughout, and for leading the second squad to counter backcapping.
    Thank you, but it wouldn't have been possible without your communication and a squad that was highly effective and put up with my both my inability to climb small cliffs and almost psychic abilities to home in on the nearest tree. As for the triple lock, well...

Truly excellent work guys. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    And JG, I gather that you acted as communications liaison with the Vanu Accord.

Hilariously, the game bugged after I rejoined the main platoon and I was able to keep my position in the leadership chat. I'm not sure about liaising with the Vanu Accord itself, but there was some good communication inter-outfit on the channel itself. Some of the tags mentioned did sound familiar, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't actually know who, other than Cooper, does get involved with the VA on is it Teamspeak they use? For once though, we had good squad/platoon leaders who didn't abuse the Orders and Leader comms and used them well.

So, for the entire outfit:

(Is anyone else concerned about the sheer number of results for 'Purple Giraffe' in Google?)
    Last edited by The JG Man; 03-01-2013 at 12:58 AM.