Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, there's a distinct difference. Some people manage to set a bad mood in one of a few different ways; whining and moaning, being "needy", laying blame on others for one thing or another, calling "bad leadership" when things go awry or too slowly or whatever, or just messing about too much. We all like to mess about to one degree or another, but there's a limit when it stops being funny and starts being annoying or awkward, and there are also times when it is less appropriate... (You are sometimes pushing the boundaries, but generally in good spirit. )
    Yeah, I know that, not proud of it. And I try not to annoy anyone, I want to make ppl laugh
    Don't want anyone to think I am a crazy bitch that doesn't take stuff seriously. I do when I want to and if we have to be serious I will be that too

But anyway. I think it is good to kick ppl that not follow the 1,2,3 steps that RIDEBIRD wrote before. I think that will help us from too young or immature kids. Hopefully it will work
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Activated Node

Draft policy for dealing with problem players...

Hey all,

As mentioned a little back in this thread, Esoteric Reverie and I have volunteered to put together a draft policy that formalises how we deal with problem players. We have also put ourselves forward for enforcing it on the few occasions it is necessary. I have pasted the draft below, and would value peoples comments. Once we have something nailed down, I would suggest it goes to the next meeting for final agreement.

Let me know what you think,

Wibbster

This policy is intended to handle situations where the behaviour of a member of the outfit consistently offends a significant number of the other members playing the game.

It is not intended to replace the application of common sense. 99% of problems can and should be resolved with a word at the time. What follows is only meant where this has failed and problematic behaviour is ongoing.

As a side note, a few members have suggested that we introduce an age limit, but there was opposition to this for the following reasons:

• The outfit is organised as a way for readers of RPS to play together. There is no age limit in place for viewing the site, so there shouldn't be one in place for joining the outfit.
    • Immaturity and/or bad behaviour is not limited to young players. I have known very mature twelve year olds and forty year olds who behaved like toddlers.
    • This type of problem is going to be very rare. The introduction of an age limit would be like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

So, onto the policy...

• If a player's behaviour consistently falls outside the bounds of what is expected, and this is agreed by a sufficient number of members then they shall be contacted by a responsible member of the outfit. What 'a sufficient number' means is up for debate. A suggested approach would be that this kicks in when at least two people have raised concerns separately, and these concerns are confirmed as reasonable by whoever is taking responsibility for following this procedure.
    • The exact method of contact is not important as long as it is done privately, but a separate Mumble channel would be preferable.
    • It shall be explained to them what the problem is, what they need to change about their behaviour, and that they are at risk of being forced to leave the outfit.
    • Agreement will be sought from the player that they will change their behaviour.
    • If they do not give their agreement then they are kicked from the outfit.
    • Even with agreement, the player's future behaviour needs to be monitored, and lapses will result in them being kicked from the outfit.

We need to keep a record of people that have been kicked so that everyone is aware of what is going on.

And that's about it.

So far the following players have confirmed they would be happy to enforce this process on the rare occasions that it would be necessary. If anyone else wants to be included, then please let us know.
    - Wibbster
    - Esoteric Reverie

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Draft looks good. Get a locked mumble channel called 'The Counselling Cupboard' maybe?

Pretty much agree with everyone further up too. Keep doing what you do, Ridebird! We need leadership and you are one of the best, pretty sure that everyone appreciates your input. Just please don't burn yourself out if it starts getting stressful. Moxxi, the silliness is great, but the fact that you are good at the teamwork/listening side of things is also great. Think that both elements are important in the outfit, they complement each other.

There is definitely room for teamwork training and tightening up on squad-play nights. Speed and responsiveness is something we should always be improving (redeploys etc). Personally I would like to see more organisation during the off-peak hours, when there is often a squad's worth of people online but no outfit group (tho this is the sort of thing I should probably just be stepping up and arranging myself).
    Last edited by Rizlar; 24-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.

I remember being the sortof instigator of stratgir in a sense; it was me that ridebird referred to when it was first conceived: I absolutely hated the lack of voice comm control. everyone talking at the same time. So I shouted about that. and I lead stratgir soon after with mediocre success.

My point is- I'm not trying to say that Im responsible for serious tactics in RPS, not by a long stretch- just that I equally desire to lead a tactical team i to battle. but I also want to mess around, talking about choppas and the maid and how hitler would have done it. (without jew; OMG I MAED A FUNNEY)

I dont think youre a serious nazi ridebird. thats my job.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Draft looks good.

Ridebird, you're a great platoon leader and I have the greatest confidence in you when you lead. I think what the problem is here is fear; people are concerned that if we go a little bit towards the more organised play that we'll carry down that path. Now, that simply isn't the case as we've been at this for a few months now, but it's an understandable concern. It's certainly not aimed at you personally, but at the nebulous being that is the outfit itself.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    If moving forward as an "Outfit" means getting a tiny bit more "professional" then I don't personally have a problem with it. What does that entail?

Training?
    a Fixed comms setup and comms procedure?
    Set "moves" for taking a base/area?
    Squad internal co-operation? Covering each other, breaching rooms, staying together, load outs?
    I didn't really want to get in to these specifics yet, all I wanted was generally to check that my experience that most of us are okay with moving to a more organised thing was not just my opinion. You Grible was the first to say "I prefer split comms, but others.." etc, and made me consider that whole thing.

I just want us not to limit ourselves because we MUST represent RPS. For example - age limit. I fully agree with it not being fair due to maturity and such, and I didn't think that through really. I do think the argument that RPS doesn't have an age limit is exactly what I mean though - we should not let ourselves be hindered by such things. Note - the age limit is just an example of this kind of argument made, I have changed my stance and I agree that it is not needed.

As you say, we should let it mature. The "philosophical" side of the thing most seem in agreement with. In practice that just means such things as designated HR folks and some set procedures that help us in those few cases they are needed.

I won't go in to specifics of what I am thinking of in what it means for gameplay, but yes, such things as learning to stick together and actively trying to do that is basically the jest of it.
    Find me on the Steams

I'm not sure what you mean in reference to me there Ridebird. I do prefer split comms, but not all the time, what can I say - I'm a puzzle. - but I know that a few times there have been objections, I don't think I'm just imagining that? My only serious wobbly over it had more to do with timing than intent. I do not however like leading the platoon in a split situation.

I suspect JG hit it on the nail a few posts back as to the overall mood. But with ~60-100 regular players and an average nightly attendance of a platoon at high water then we do need to think about the main bulk of the outfit not just the people represented here on the forums. The fact more peeps ought to be on the forums is perhaps another point!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It may not harm to change the outfit message to recommend that people investigate the forums. It's currently only serving as a cursory welcome and a reminder that we do things on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.