Page 46 of 70 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I don't know who you are in-game surly, but I'm sure you did a fine job (and goddamnit people use one name on forums, mumble and in-game please ). Be confident! Step up! If you do that then you've already done _much_ more then others.

Regarding handing over leadership, people make it sound like this is only an issue at 2300 GMT. It is very far from that, it happens at all hours of the day all the time. Why the hell are you all so reluctant to lead for even an hour? I just don't get it.

If it is as Surly said due to older vets just constantly talking strategy and undermining their role, I can fully understand why you wont do it, and we still have _much_ too much of that. Next time it happens and there are specific people doing it I will be more vocal then just doing my usual "shut the fuck up and let the person talk" thing, because it has become quite frustrating to hear quite a few voices being very vocal when someone else is leading but rarely themselves taking the reigns.

It happened the other night when Onnthemol was leading, and I again had to tell people to shut up. Granted, we were not in split (imo leading one channel platoons is just straight up impossible as a new person) and it was loud in general, but it was disrespectful.

We have to foster an enviroment were people naturally take leadership and are not afraid to do so. I try to be supportive when newer leaders are giving it a go, and I hope I have helped some that way, but I am also sure that my suggestions are just as intrusive as others sometimes. If so, please do tell me, even though I understand it is not easy as a new leader. I think those kind of situations are perfect for talking to EsotericReverie or WibbsterVan, as they are the HR-managers basically.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Also I feel this must be stressed - if you are new, you are expected to make mistakes and be very fucking confused. When I started leading I didn't even know what the hell the SCU was. I knew nothing about the game but stepped up due to leadership being needed. I got some deserved shit for not knowing where the hell base X was and I felt like an idiot, but I learned.

We don't expect you to be the best leaders ever from the start, but you can't learn if you don't do it via trial and error in this case. Leadership seminars as last night is cool and all, but the real way to learn is just throw yourself in the fire, and in that case all us others have to be supportive.

And again - when you first start out, you will look at the map a LOT. It gets much better faster though, and you will be able to play and lead at the same time.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Another things - don't take people's strategic discussions too seriously.

If the leader goes "Ok errr, hmmm, let's do this" and then someone chirps up "yes, but if we do that, then X and Y", don't see it as a personal slight - unless they stop following orders, or outright disparage you, they were probably thinking out loud, rather than trying to wrangle control away.

Also, feel free totell them to shut up, or "I know, but we're going to do it this way"
    Last edited by CMaster; 03-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Regarding handing over leadership, people make it sound like this is only an issue at 2300 GMT. It is very far from that, it happens at all hours of the day all the time. Why the hell are you all so reluctant to lead for even an hour? I just don't get it.
    That's 2400GMT. 2300CEST. It was past 23:00 my local time when you asked for a PL yesterday, and I was planning on being off in 10 minutes anyway.

I'm very happy to lead. It's just that when the call comes it's usually at the end of the night and I am not going to step up and do it for just 10 minutes, of which the last 5 will be asking people to step up as PL again. Drop me PL at 22:00 my time (CEST) and I'll do it no worries.

Maybe the people who usually are PL should give that away sooner. I think no one is going to step up if they think "Oh I only have like 15 minutes left, nvm". Those people would probably be willing to lead if they actually had a solid hour.

Activated Node
    Maybe if no one wants to SL, and you only have 15 minutes left online, you should volunteer anyway (as long as you make that clear). If it's that time of night, and no one is going to be on long anyway, then by the time 15 minutes are up we'll probably need 1 less squad anyway and if not then changing SL isn't that much of a big deal, right?

Does that make sense? I don't really have that much experience in how our numbers decline late at night, and none of the effect changing SLs has on the chain of command, it just sounds right to me, maybe someone can put me right.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post

Purple Giraffe for Kalezin, because whenever I thought "Hmm, I'd better take that guy out", Kalezin had already done it.
    Haha, just spotted this, thanks!

You do me too much honour though, what was probably going through my head at the time was "better steal that kill before CMaster gets it!"

I vote Oak for balloon lead.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Leading sometimes comes naturally, sometimes it doesnt. dont think theres an actual rule for it though.

note: I lead more often than not. for better or for worse.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Can someone not on UTC+1 go to
    www.rockplanetshotgun.com

And let me know what times are being displayed for the events.

I want to know if the plugin corrects for user timezone with respect to start time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Caught the last twenty minutes of last nights meeting.
    Maybe it is time I started to squad lead with a view to eventually platoon lead. Means I will actually have to talk over voice comms.
    I think I am a bit more confident now about where things are, better places to park a sundy etc. Although my gal driving is hit and miss, mainly hit.
    Questions.
    Are there any must certs in leadership other than squad beacon?
    May need help setting up the whisper/shout in mumble as didnt quite unerstand? Am i right in PTT talks to squad and your whisper /shout command then is for all leader channels?

I managed to set up the shout command and the relevant button but couldnt find the right channels to set up the shout command with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    There is a thread with mumble details on, so all your questions should be answered there.

50 certs will get you access to leader chat and the Orders ability. I'd say, other than the squad beacon, that too is a necessity.