Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1385
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Well, we still have Indar, so that's nice.

Anyway, the reason I think comms did not work in A+B is all the regular PLs were in there. We have our own ideas on how to proceed and what to do and are vocal about this. PLs might need to STFU about strategy when they're not PL unless specifically asked in such a situation, or we should spread the PLs over the two channels.

Agreed.
    For the umpty-umpth time:

If you are not CURRENTLY PL, you need to be quiet. Not totally silent, but refrain from arguing with people in channel about strategy and or tactics. State your position and leave it at that.

If you are not PL, it's not your place to make decisions for the platoon. The PL's word on any issue is final. Accept you lost the argument and shut the fuck up. You do not have the right to screw with other peoples enjoyment of the game.
    If you really, really, disagree with the PL, leave the platoon. Talking over the PL is absolutely and totally unacceptable no matter what the PL is saying, and it's getting to the point now where repeat offenders should just be getting kicked from the platoon.

Activated Node
    I found the noise in A/B last night very high, too high I'd say especially when trying to listen to command chat. Technically, I was SL for Bravo, but in practice I don't think if you have two squads in a channel you can have 2 active leaders in that channel. I just didn't feel like adding my voice to the confusion would have helped since we already had Cooper for orders anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    No, you can't Kiwi. I do believe we can have one radio officer and one SL however.

Laldy: I fully agree that we need to shut up more when the PL speaks or not discuss so much orders and it was much too much of that last night, and I apologise on my behalf. What I do not see is how the PL has the only word on splits though? I have two times proposed split comms that was shut down. If I would've said "I am PL, it's my decision" we all know that this discussion would be that I was screwing with other peoples enjoyment of the game. We agreed to decide on such things democratically and we said that we would not just force through such things - and this goes both ways.

"Just leave the platoon" is not very helpful when there are solutions and if we're still going to have split per squad as the extraordinaire lets play like nazis strategic thing as it was viewed before (feels like were back there again), I will be kinda sad.
    Find me on the Steams

You don't have to leave the platoon. Just ask to be moved to C or D. Done.

How was I supposed to know the situation was different there? Fine, I guess it's special giraffes then.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    <snip>

Laldy: I fully agree that we need to shut up more when the PL speaks or not discuss so much orders and it was much too much of that last night, and I apologise on my behalf. What I do not see is how the PL has the only word on splits though? I have two times proposed split comms that was shut down. If I would've said "I am PL, it's my decision" we all know that this discussion would be that I was screwing with other peoples enjoyment of the game. We agreed to decide on such things democratically and we said that we would not just force through such things - and this goes both ways.

"Just leave the platoon" is not very helpful when there are solutions and if we're still going to have split per squad as the extraordinaire lets play like nazis strategic thing as it was viewed before (feels like were back there again), I will be kinda sad.
    Hmm. A lack of clarity on my part. My primary concerns in my post was arguing about PL strat/tac decisions, and talking over the PL, rather than comms splitting. My point about leaving the platoon was simply that if you really cannot abide the PL's decisions, you are not obligated to stay with that Platoon and be unhappy. I think part of the PLs role is as a "committee chairman" and such has a duty to bring an end to a discussion and make a decision. I may be wrong to do so, but I tend to work on the assumption that the (woefully silent) majority of members in mumble are content with the PLs leadership and decision making, and that needs to be respected by the highly vocal minority (I fully acknowledge that I am very much part of that vocal minority, and can be as guilty of PL interruption as any one else, even though I strive mightily to avoid it).

Comms splits are an altogether thornier issue to have to deal with. Personally I find it intensely frustrating when PL'ing to be unable to get a word in edgeways whilst multiple people are chatting, and therefore prefer splitting comms when the all-in-one setup gets vocally busy. It's not the number of people in the channel which should lead to decision on split comms, but rather how vocal, and who is being vocal (ie regular talkers constantly talking can and does deter/ intimidate not so vocal members), that should inform the choice. I personally prefer a large number of people in a given channel, but recognise that this can seriously interfere with the platoon's ability to function at all. If the platoon is no longer efficient at delivering fun for the majority due to comms problems, something needs to be done, and we have an extremely limited toolset to work with. Split comms (1st into 2 channels, then into more if that still restricts efficiency) is the most powerful tool we have. It's all very well having principles of how you think this should be handled, but you shouldn't let said principles force up to 70 people to sit with their thumbs up their ass whilst you argue your point of view over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    You don't have to leave the platoon. Just ask to be moved to C or D. Done.
    How would this solve the issue of not agreeing with the PL's decisions? If they are part of the platoon, then the platoon leader is still giving them instructions on what to do that they disagree with. A PL who has a squad in his platoon that he cannot rely on to follow orders has got a major problem.

We followed orders and the issue of splitting came up like two times, not all the time. The real issue were too many too vocal people. This has a solution we have agreed upon. Cooper did not think it was needed though.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to give priorities to channels on mumble? So that, for example, the PL can sit in the current subchannel and get priority when it is needer. I know that this is not ideal, in part because the PL would then overrule everyone even when it comes to normal chatter, but it might be good in some cases.

Another alternative (if it's even possible) is to have people in squad channels and let them set up a whisper-list to all squad channels, which would replace the current push-to-talk. You chat as per usual, with the whole platoon, unless there's something that's important for the squad. Then you adress the squad, and that channel would have priority so that the squadmembers can hear it. I know that it's kind of a hassle to set up whispers and stuff, especially for new members, but it doesn't take that long and it might be helpful.

Is it possible to do something like this in mumble? Or can you only give priority to speakers?

Network Hub
    Sounds like this may have been more about a balance of who ended up in which half of the platoon thing than anything else. C + D comms seemed all good, if anything a bit quieter than usual though not in a bad way. It did feel like orders were coming through to our half a bit sporadically, but this makes sense now given what's been mentioned above. We did also have that disconnect from the PL which inevitably pushes the focus more on tactics than constant strat talk and decision making (or questioning)...

I was missing for a good chunk of last night trying to kill myself/jogging, but I fear I might be among the backseat PL's referenced which irritates me since I hate it when it happens to me. I was also trying to "liaise" for some of that time, so I kept having to break in and make suggestions that weren't always my own, see the "panic over Alatum Bio Lab" incident. However - Cooper - sorry if I was annoying to you last night.

Beyond that - I did suggest (twice) that comms were split to squads - against my personal preference - since we are always being told the silent majority prefer it. Both times there was a mumble of support vs dissent and I just let it drop, as I say - big loud channels don't bother me personally. If that contributed to the overall feeling of confusion in A+B then again I'm sorry.

PLs just need to tell me to shut up, I promise not to take it too personally - but I can get carried away and I know I talk too much, which is not really a substitute for leadership. *Sad Grible*

I will just be going special giraffes for every such instance in the future since it seems we are back were we started again. I have no real energy or interest to continue this and it seems we can't come to a working compromise.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I was on for a lot of last night and in A/B barring one hour. What the hell did I miss? Ha, maybe I was playing a completely different game?!

Grible, your role was comms. I'm fairly confident that you're allowed to butt in with "Urgent, we're being requested to provide assistance at Y."