Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1385
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    What did we settle on? My interpretation - we said doublesquads was the goto. We can split if more then 40 or loud or such. Maybe we only settled on doublesquads? If so I understand the reaction last night and I won't do it again.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I just find it frustrating to play in larger groups most of the time, because were never organised and working together. Its very hard to effectively lead more then 12 in battle at the micro tactical SL level. Also entirely uninterested in more discussion, better we just do like this.
    Same here. I cannot for the nanite-supported and respawned life of me comprehend how there are occasions where everyone is all by themselves, not getting heals, repairs, ammo or covering fire, while there are 40 other giraffes around.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Oh god yes. It takes this game from being a confusing, chaotic, overwhelming and frustrating experience, turning it into a confusing, chaotic, overwhelming and totally satisfying experience when it works! Best move ever in any multiplayer game I've played, was joining RPS. Never had so much fun nor such a satisfying online gaming experience as playing PS2 with this lot.

Edit: welcome on the team!
    I totally agree Esoteric. Playing PS2 with RPS is one of the best things have ever done in my extensive gaming history. In fact, it's pretty much ruined me playing any other game. It doesn't matter which game, it gets comparing to running with RPS and loses out totally, to the point where I've bought several games on steam (witcher 1 and 2, Hearts of iron III, legend of grimrock, FTL) and done nothing in them beyond taking a quick peek.

So, a Purple Giraffe to RPS as a whole for the excellent time I've had with them to date:

tumblr_m2lhexGdf01qe2qz8o1_500.jpg

You have to play FTL. It's awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just find it frustrating to play in larger groups most of the time, because were never organised and working together. Its very hard to effectively lead more then 12 in battle at the micro tactical SL level. Also entirely uninterested in more discussion, better we just do like this.
    Agreed, at best you can gather 8 people in your squad at any one point in time. the rest are just goin off on their own, either not knowing, or simply not getting the message in the chaos.

Also, didnt we agree on this already? I am getting confused over this being brought up all the time. The discussion now seems to run through multiple threads(not your fault Ridebird).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Can I get a yes or no from Cooper and others that I and anyone else is allowed to start special giraffes at any time? Without me being that guy again and the discussion it led to last night? Xing up in chat is enough, no need to discuss how/why/if we have legitimate reasons.
    I have no problems with that. I found yesterday's procedure very good. 1. Ask on Mumble, or in outfit chat if people are up for special giraffes/squad play, ask people to type an X in outfit chat. 2. If approximately a squad or more "X up", then go, those who want to split off, and get set up. We could even refine things a bit by making sure that leadership and comms are set up before moving players over, to streamline the process a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Same here. I cannot for the nanite-supported and respawned life of me comprehend how there are occasions where everyone is all by themselves, not getting heals, repairs, ammo or covering fire, while there are 40 other giraffes around.
    One thing to keep in mind is that not all leaders like to play this way. While the two of you, and I and several others with you, think this is the way to make this game really shine, not everyone agrees or has the energy/skills/confidence to lead that way. I think a strength in our outfit so far has been the ability to cater to both kinds of players to some degree. Going forward, I think splitting into separate (but coordinated) groups for casual and focused play, on demand and without hassle or complaints, is going to be critical to keeping players interested and to keep this good friendly atmosphere we've mostly managed so far.

So, split wherever and whenever (outside of Silly Mondays) by "Xing up", assign leaders first, move them out to set up command structure, then move people over to fill out squads, to minimize the impact on the main group.

Yeah sure, yesterdays procedure was good, but after the no to split I really didn't want any more attention/cause more delays/be more troublesome. Your proposed process a la xing up and just setting up so people can hop on if they want to seems pretty much perfect.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that not all leaders like to play this way. While the two of you, and I and several others with you, think this is the way to make this game really shine, not everyone agrees or has the energy/skills/confidence to lead that way. I think a strength in our outfit so far has been the ability to cater to both kinds of players to some degree.
    I totally agree with you that one of the greatest things about our outfit is the variety of play style approaches it caters to.

And I know we all feel this way, but I'm just going to state it for emphasis: we cater to the members of this community. So we provide a framework where they can play whichever way they feel like, within the greater framework, facilities and restrictions of Planetside 2. Doing stunts with scythes and swagriders, shooting lasers, driving or piloting about in their sundys and gals. Leaders actually give priority to that, compared to their style and preferences.

But having some clear guidelines doesn't restrict that. It facilitates it. The leaders don't have to get frustrated and exhausted trying to reinvent the wheel. Members don't have to sacrifice their game time trying to go through that. I believe it is you who had posted about group evolution and dynamics. We are in a transition period, and I for one welcome this friction. It shows we care, and I believe that it will bear results.

But only if we stick to the solutions we come up with, not having to go over them over and over again. I do not wish to discuss comms again. We have progressed to discussing tactics and operational methods, because we came up with a working framework. Our gameplay and appreciation of this game is evolving and deepening. Going back to previously solved matters hinders this evolution and frustrates a lot of our members, as responses to this discussion have shown. There are still issues and debates, but these are constructive, about new things. For instance we progressed to discussing strategy and operations. Also sharing experience and tips regarding leadership. How to do some coordinated squad and multi-squad play, like leapfrogging or breaching a building or a tower.

As for myself, I am actually a reluctant leader. I don't have the skills (this is my first FPS, and only during the last couple of months I've stopped sucking and progressed to just plain bad -went from a daily 0.3 KDR to a daily 1.5-2 - still my overall is 0.88), the confidence or the energy. But I feel that it is a way to contribute to this extremely supportive and welcoming community. And it is also a commentary on how I want to be lead. I'm bad (but getting better), so I need the support of the rest of the group, and want to do the same for the group. I'm fascinated by the large scale potential, so I want to experience it.

And as a conclusion and a disclaimer: I am not unhappy with our outfit or its operation. I just wish to further the discussion, and also be honest about what I perceive (probably wrongly most of the time) to be some of our shortcomings. You are all awesome, and I'm just trying to contribute by furthering the debate and the gameplay. Apologies if I appear too critical some times, but a certain negative mentality and over-thinking things (incoherently too!) are two of my many flaws (they make for a good analytical flaws spotter and implementation bugs hunter in software projects though). I'm trying to work them out

I don't have the skills (this is my first FPS, and only during the last couple of months I've stopped sucking and progressed to just plain bad -went from a daily 0.3 KDR to a daily 1.5-2 - still my overall is 0.88)
    Nice to know there's some hope for those of us just starting out! My KDR went from 0.2something to 0.3something last night, so I'm heading in the right direction .

(Sorry that that's all I took from your lengthy post!)
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post

I don't have the skills (this is my first FPS, and only during the last couple of months I've stopped sucking and progressed to just plain bad -went from a daily 0.3 KDR to a daily 1.5-2 - still my overall is 0.88)
    Nice to know there's some hope for those of us just starting out! My KDR went from 0.2something to 0.3something last night, so I'm heading in the right direction .

(Sorry that that's all I took from your lengthy post!)
    Probably the only actually helpful piece. God, I need to quit being so verbose!

But this is why I'm being so vocal about these things. Because I've been the quintessential first player experience (total noob!). So I appreciate all the help I've received, and have some idea where we can do even better.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 09-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Instead of discussing split again seeing how that has effectively gotten us nowhere, how about being serious about making this a place both for people that want to play and sit in a big chat and such and people that want to play more tactically? This goes for every night except monday, wednesday and thursday of course, which are set. On both tuesdays so far I have had to come in and ask that we split like we should, so the interest for that seems small, and with this system it's not needed at all.

Our standard setup in this is a given, namely one 24 player channel consisting of A+B and then C and D in seperate channels/squads that backup the main force and do more targeted attacks and generally are the supportive strike force of the main force. Or generally that these two squads focus on 100% tight teamplay and tactics and that's that. They can of course also be the air squad for example or an armor squad. Think of this as the main force is the army and the others are the special forces or cavalry of some sort.

If no one is interested in tactical play then by all means all be in the same channel - nothing forced. 24 is large enough for it to be very chatty but new players should still be able to speak = perfect for that purpose, no? If this is not agreeable and you need more for it to be chatty enough then I guess only one squad can go tactical, so 36+12 instead of 24+12+12.

But again, this seems like the best compromise, no? I thought doublesquads would work well but I found it very frustrating for the half hour or so I tried it yesterday, and friday was in a similar vein even though we did work together for a while.
    Find me on the Steams

Agreed. One squad is a perfect amount of people for many tasks. A sizeable force, yet nimble and manageable. A+B / C / D for comms sounds good to me!

I'd say we split as soon as we have 6-8 people up for squad-play (X in /os) and about as many left. That's enough to be effective as a group. No reason to split until we can reasonably field about two squads, yeah?

Quick - can we make A+B / C / D 'official' before we get too bogged down in discussion about it? Hopefully it will just become the norm.

As a newcomer, it's not the most welcoming thing to be greeted with when threads are mired with detailed/lengthy debates around the perfect comms strategy...
    On Steam - Kyndylan

Quote Originally Posted by Kyndylan View Post
    Quick - can we make A+B / C / D 'official' before we get too bogged down in discussion about it? Hopefully it will just become the norm.
    Sounds fine by me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    A + B /C/D sounds perfect as it's the best of both worlds and it's flexible.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=e5JASMnzaiY#!

A three-squad platoon of DWG is holding Perris Amp against almost the whole of the TR zerg for 2 1/2 hours (this is before the recent WG rotation). Note the clearly designated squad roles, the fluidity of response, and the use of tactics: a thing of beauty!
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 09-04-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Wow, that was incredible. My respect for DWG just skyrocketed.

That was well done! We could probably do something similar, if we focused like that, though we probably have far from their level of skill, individually, if what I hear about DWg is correct. The clearly designated squad roles are clearly very important for this to work, though I can imagine it can get a bit boring holding the SW gate for 4 hours straight...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I think we're too open to all comers and don't have the right level of power structure in place to pull that off.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    they're pretty damn good. creative tactics + squadplay. they've been suffering from member drain though (and the lack of new recruits replacing people that leave).