Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1385
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    Just feel like I have to step in here:

Wait, what? I noticed Ride writing about this in outfit chat several times. I'm not sure if it was ten times, but it wasn't far from.
    Well, I am talking about Cmasters callout. That only happend once. I ignored Outfit chat all night.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    A Purple Giraffe of Awesomeness and Scholarly Achievement to Esoteric, for his amazing guides (go read them here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...S-Outfit-guide)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    2 things:
    A. I did
    B. You only asked once

And really, having a squaddie do it als ensures you can move your whole squad, and the workload is lighting for a RO/SL.

To be fair, is alt-tabbing, switching channel and moving on that difficult? If it is, well then a squad controlled gal is still my favorite option.
    It is much smoother to call in for transport then for all to redeploy time and time again. I did write it several times and CMaster also called it out. I think you called in once, as did some other SLs. Alt tabbing and finding the right squad among 16+ squads is sort of difficult and time consuming, yup.

Making room for the squad is the problematic thing. I wish the Gal could hold 15.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    Maybe it's hard to see messages in outfit chat when there's as many as there were yesterday? There were quite a lot of conversation going on in outfit chat while the third platoon was waiting on getting everything organized at least.
    I'm not sure about any other SL/ROs but I barely paid much attention to the chat, not intentionally but just as there was so much going on already. The main moments I did have eyes on it were when I was using it or expecting a response from it. Then there were times, though less often, it was moving so fast that I couldn't keep up with it
    ARMA, Planetside 2 - Lynche (The 'e' is silent)
    Steam, PS3, Minecraft - Safilpope

Obscure Node
    Purely from a non-command point of view I'm not sure the gal taxi service worked, it was often difficult to find a specific gal because there were so many people and gals and more often than not you ended up with mixed squad transport and people being split up. Having a specific gal pilot per squad might have made more sense as it allows the gal, and it's pilot, to be a more flexible resource (gal can be spawned or abandoned as required depending on the plan/situation and the pilot gets a chance to take part in the rest of evening when not required to play taxi).

Towards the end of the night when Gribble was pulling gals for Delta it seemed to work better and, if anything, was quicker.

Clearly there are benefits to having gals on standby but it only really shone through after the initial push on sungrey, after that we were redeploying back to the warp gate anyway and with a little more foresight it wouldn't be much to ask you squad's pilot to redeploy a few minutes before the rest of the squad in order to pull a gal.

When I picked up squads were gathered with smoke up so I could see where they were. Seemed to work well. For it to really work well I think a specific channel needs to be set up and that we use the shout-to thing as Grible was last night, and that the gal pilots shout back.

Redeploying is mostly quicker, but I think it is quite smooth to have a ferry service from base to base when capping a lot. The problem again is the space though, so yeah, might have to retire that idea I guess
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Redeploying is mostly quicker, but I think it is quite smooth to have a ferry service from base to base when capping a lot. The problem again is the space though, so yeah, might have to retire that idea I guess
    It maintains momentum and a sense of advancement. Redeploying is sometimes disruptive of that sense of flow.

Can we please set up compromise comms in PL1? Please please please? It seems like the best thing, no? It will not get used otherwise, trust me. And I am _so_ tired of having to call for any kind of change/split what have you...
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It is much smoother to call in for transport then for all to redeploy time and time again. I did write it several times and CMaster also called it out. I think you called in once, as did some other SLs. Alt tabbing and finding the right squad among 16+ squads is sort of difficult and time consuming, yup.

Making room for the squad is the problematic thing. I wish the Gal could hold 15.
    I am talking about having 1 guy grab the gall and then fly to pickup the squad. Not redeploy the whole squad. Often it can be usefull to clean sweep the area around a capped point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Can we please set up compromise comms in PL1? Please please please? It seems like the best thing, no? It will not get used otherwise, trust me. And I am _so_ tired of having to call for any kind of change/split what have you...
    Yes, will do.

Edit: Done. People are still in the root Platoon 1 channel, though. Didn't want to mess around with moving people about.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 12-04-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Obscure Node
    I think the idea has merit, as does pre-emptively sending off a squad-mate to pull a gal to pick you up while capping/sweeping or just awaiting your next orders.

Perhaps though last night wasn't the best time to try it, too many new people and maybe just too many people in general for it to be organised enough. An air squad that includes a handful of gals, scythes and libs on a normal Thursday may be more effective.

OK Eso, but do it later, please. In now and we have about 40 people in the same channel and I am in the same situation as always.
    Find me on the Steams

Tried the compromise comms tonight, but it didn't gain much traction. To be fair, there weren't quite enough of us on, and the squad that did split off grew veryu quiet and rather boring. It does take a bit of effort and dedication on behalf of the squad lead if single squad comms is going to work in practice. I personally didn't really have the energy to push it myself, since I got such a cool response. I think I've kinda seen it from your point of view tonight.

Game started acting up and I just couldn't find the energy to put up with all the little niggling things... :/

So are we going to actually do compromise comms or not? Cooper? Rather important for me.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    By compromise comms you mean channels for:
    Alpha & Alpha Radio
    Bravo & Bravo Radio
    Charlie and Delta and Charlie and Delta Radio

?

If so, the channels are all setup.

I've locked "Platoon 1" for entry. People have to use subchannels.

I have also added a "casual play" channel.

-----

In general I'm not going to say "this is how we do things". I've never felt comfortable doing things like that.

On this issue, "compromise comms" has been problematic because it needs setting up. One channel doesn't need setting up, people just join. Because it needs setting up it needs someone to say "let's use comms like this". Because it needs setting up it's not something that we can just fall into. It can never esaily be something that "just happens".

If you join at 6pm there will be enough people online for "compromise comms". But those who joined at 3, 4 or 5pm will not have the numbers.

I have regularly and consistently suggested that every night needs a time when we stop and start. When we reform, when PL changes hands, when there's a bit of briefing. The time to do this is usually about 7pm when we're at peak numbers. This is the perfect time to move to "compromise comms".

But it doesn't happen. Unless this becomes a habit for the outfit, I don't see how we get past that awkward poit of someone needing to ask to move to a different comms setup.

There will always be a point where we have grown from a handful of people to 30+ when we need to change from one channel to multiple channels. This needs to become a habit, please don't look to me to mandate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I can report from last night, to give some info on how things went then. I tried to push for 2+1+1 comms when there were three squads of ~8-9 people online and I had got fed up with the general messiness, not so much of the comms as of the gameplay. (Sometimes, zerging around can be fun, but it felt I satisfying to me last night. To be absolutely clear: it's not about the attitude or the people in comms, I just enjoy the game a lot more when we are more focused)

So, Charlie squad split off, but the only result of this was that we kept zerging along with the rest, but not taking part of the banter. Clearly the worst of both worlds. We eventually folded back into one channel where around 20 people remained. I realise that most people might just have been on to shoot some lasers and lose some tension from the work week. I probably put a good damper on the mood, trying to get the game playing experience that I wanted without really having the energy to take charge of it myself, and that probably put some people off playing at all. I am sorry for that.

This dogmatic approach is clearly not the right way to do this. What I should have done was probably to ask if there were any people wanting to do more focused play and have those moved to delta, say. When I did ask this after merging back into one channel, I got zero response. Possibly because nobody was interested, in which case I should have gone off to do something less frustrating.

Anyway, the squads filled up slowly over the next hour or so, until we had nearly a full platoon. At this point, I asked again for people interested in doing a special giraffes thing, and ended up with 8-9 people who went on to lock the TR armour in their warpgate with our Lancers.

On the plus side, this split-off was done without any grumbling that I could hear, so we have come somewhere at least. But man, was I frustrated last night! I realise most people just wanted to have fun and low off some steam, and I used to like that kind of laid back play and friendly banter too. Lately though, I've found my definition of fun has shifted and I have increasingly little tolerance for disorganised swarming. I don't mean aimless, because that was never the case, rather things were lacking in structure and cohesion, important for effectiveness.

I'm sorry for this rant but I really need to vent some of this frustration. Sorry too, for poking around this old scab of a discussion, but we have apparently failed to find a definite solution that works for all of us. I understand that for squad-play to become fun and enjoyable, we need leaders who can take charge of the situation and infuse their squad with a sense of purpose. This may be more than many have the energy, experience or confidence to do on most nights, and if so, then I'm out if ideas of what to do. Play some other game I guess... :/

Right now, I'm feeling a bit sad and disillusioned because I really love the people in this community, if that has not been apparent, but I feel like we've been pulling in different directions more often than not, lately...

When is the next outfit meeting?

We need to honestly and openly discuss the situation on Miller, the state of VS and the enemy, and our role as a gateway for our community to this game, our battle worthiness, and our level of commitment and contribution to the greater Miller and PS2 community and what we want these to be.

And to be completely honest, I'm tired of losing when I know we could be winning. Tired of getting shot when there could be back up. Tired of avoiding big battles when we should seek them out. And what really gets to me, is that it is not about people. There is some sort of institutional inertia that has just crept in.

Just the other night, before Call to Arms, we had an amazing rolling fight between Indar Comm Array and Seabed Listening Post. We took Indar Comm Array by placing sunderers both at the south, on the slope directly below the cap point, and to the west, by the vehicle spawn, so were attacking NC from two directions, and managed to choke them in and push them to their spawn room. NC and TR then started attacking Seabed, and we still held them back, quickly moving back, and attacking towards the cap point, and from the NE, as we moved around the base, successfully flanking them. There is skill and a willingness to play well and in support of each other. And this game is actually simple, because of the numbers. Pin your enemy down and then flank him. Be it inside a room, when capping a base or when moving across a whole map, that is all there is to it.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 13-04-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I really do not see the problem with yesterday you wanted to splitt off you got a bunch of guys the rest of the people online were either new players that wanted to see what we were up to or old players that just wanted to blow off some steam by drinking and mainly zerging about. There was no grumbling about people splitting off, hell it was encouraged but if people do not want to split off there is no problem. Sure the guys who really wants to will not get what they want but seriously did any of you get any kind of indication that people wanted a seriously play last night?

I for one felt it was very refreshing to have a completely relaxed night of shooting stuff while drinking and talking shit. Especially after the overwhelming numbers of players and seriousness that was the Call to arms. It just felt right to not be serious, not have split coms, to generally just muck about and shoot stuff. Hell we even did a bloody good job with what we had, we got lots of friendly chatter from other outfits/platoons that liked what we were doing. (Well except the muppets at NC Arsenal that thought we were teamkilling too much... Which we did not do...).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    iwako-zoo-animals-purple-giraffe-eraser.jpg

Purple giraffe for Grible, Dewisant and anyone else who lead of the platoon yesterday (Friday) while drunk! Had a lot of fun. Stayed for 1.5 hours longer than I had planned!

For what it's worth, I had a ton of fun with the Special Giraffe splinter group. We rolled through some of those bases with awesome efficiency. Thanks to EsotericReverie and Ridebird for leading!