Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1385
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Everything Wardancer said.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I think you are referring to the guy with the unpronounceable name beginning with E? He was doing a pretty good job, although he did insist in moving my sundie every damn time I parked it.

Other than that, I'm going to suggest we move as much of the "information" stuff (mumble set up, cert advice, RPS lingo) to the website, and expand the staff on there significantly to keep it up to date. I'd also add that we really can keep things quite brief, as we don't need to be (and shouldn't try to be) a PS2 gameplay guide.

Yep E something, and yes on the information. The problem we have now is that things are everywhere so the important info gets lost. Once those threads get stickied and locked so they only contain said info this forum should be perfectly fine as a spam and talk about random weapons or whatever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    The problem we have now is that things are everywhere so the important info gets lost. Once those threads get stickied and locked so they only contain said info this forum should be perfectly fine as a spam and talk about random weapons or whatever.
    Agreed. The next few days should see significant improvement!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    The only thing we need is to just be able to create and sticky a few important threads with information in them, no discussion just the current and latest info on mumble setups etc.
    This - I totally agree that we need maybe ... three stickied threads tops. The very first thing should be a guide to how to set up and use the Mumble comms the way it's been crafted by Esoteric. We ask people to hop on Mumble and at least listen to the squad chatter, whether they reply back or not, so that should be the first thing people see when they get here.

The second and third things are the VS and NC outfit guides, created by mods and locked to regular users, so that they can be updated with all the relevant information that's required, without any of the discussion fluff to get in the way and confuse things (I realise that will require a bit of work ferreting out those bits that have already been lost - but given that some of these threads are getting twelve pages deep and a lot of information is massively outdated, it'll be worth doing). I really think that's about it.

Yes we'll probably see repeated threads about weapons etc. but that's part of keeping the board alive and having interesting discussions back and forth anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    OK, guys, the discussion about organising the forum and deciding upon stickies should be moved to this thread: Thank you, RPS, we got moderators. Now what to do with them...

To summarise the events: Jesus Phish made a thread, suggesting that we need moderators, and Jim Rossignol (all divinities bless him!) responded by making Quanta Cat, Cooper and me (all demons curse him!) moderators of this subforum.

Now, we need to discuss which posts to sticky and which threads to merge. Please move the discussion there, and, if you'd like, just copy-paste your posts from this thread. We need to do a spring cleaning.

In response to Wardancers post about last night, I took over as platoon leader last night. I was keen to try out the new comms but I underestimated the hassle and time it would take to switch over to the new system. I thought it would at most take 5 minutes or so, not the 90 minutes of disarray that it caused. For this I am deeply sorry. It was not my intention to ruin people's night or split people up. The recall to warpgate was made because we were becoming overwhelmed at the base that we were fighting at (it was a tech plant or an amp station) and it was supposed to be a quick stop, organise and move out. Again, this is not what happened and it was more time wasted and I'm sure a great deal of frustration for everyone involved.

i actually became abit upset about last night. yes it is fun to have split comms but it has to be planed and the set-up should be already. my work starts at 6.45 in the morning almost everyday and i am not the only one with a job (intern job). i can not be up 'till the middle of the night playing, if we are doing something more "advanced" it have to start earlier... or at least the comms have to be fixed so it is ready to use.

anyways, i got in bed early 'cuz of my ragequitting.
    You need me again, sweet lips?
    Be my friend on Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ah Eplekongen, have a purple giraffe for good squad leadership last night =)

AUR_29017_PR.jpg

Ah Eplekongen, have a purple giraffe for good squad leadership last night =)

AUR_29017_PR.jpg
    Well, that's one well endowed giraffe. So... thank you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Popping in to say some short things re: comms.

1. Give it time. We're still in early stages. GSB made an easy mistake in underestimating how long it takes people to adapt to new things. I know I fucked up like this myself in [RPS] in the early weeks. I can see how wardancers and others found this really frustrating. TYhe thing to do is change how we do things to make it not happen again.

2. Can we try developing a system where those who want to use TACGIR setup pull themselves to relevant channels / Mumble setups rather than a wholesale shift of everyone? The whole reason we got into this mess is that we were asking everyone to do tactical or casual. Pissing off both those who wanted tactical and those who wanted casual. We need a system that provides both styles of play, concurrently. TACGIR is that system.

3. The easiest solution to this is to make brief / debrief part of what we just do. A habit.Briefs should be the following:
    - Organising roles (a PL for TACGIR and possibly a PL for the non-TACGIR unless TACGIR PL will cover both) get SLs, ROs and liaisons setup. Organise volunteers for replacements of these positions.
    - Platoon admin (setting up platoons, setting up squad recruitment).
    - PL(s) introduce themselves. How they like to run tings, what they want from the night (in terms of specific goals in-game or otherwise). SLs say hi to their squads, maybe run through things like class composition, how they like to move / organise on the ground.
    - Get rolling.

Debrief before the end point when people start drifting off (before 10pm UTC). At which point debrief (quite simply, chats about 'how things went' over the previous couple of hours always go down very well. They are useful learning systems as well as genuinely fun. They add depth to a playsession.) Then hand PL on (with the current PL hanging around as mentor if they don't want to bugger off straight away).

I'm going to try and push point 3 hard when I get back. By just ordering / demanding / telling people to do it when I'm playing. But it would be nice to get back next week and find this is just happening...
    Last edited by Cooper; 24-04-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I didn't get around to finishing a thread I started writing earlier. Basically, I think we need a re working of our current ranking / responsiblity / leadership system.

Firstly, let's drop Giraffe Calf as a rank. Ever member is a giraffe first and foremost. If there's something new members will pick up quickly, it's the giraffe theme. But calves in an unecessary distinction for new members that is a hold over from earlier times.

Keep Giraffe Beacon, though maybe rename it. Keep it for the same reasons as before. (To recognise people willing to take on organisational roles such as SL, RO, Liaison etc.)

Keep Balloon Leader. Keep the community promotion system for that.

Add another role. This is not 'above' Balloon Leader but rather does exactly what BL and Beacon do; which is to recognise people who have accepted responsibilities. Suggested here are those running TACGIR and some others who come to mind. But I need to write in more detail what I mean by this, expect that tomorrow. I considered discussing this not in public first, by PMing certain people, and maybe inviting people to be joint outfit leaders. But that felt too much like behind closed doors decisions on organisation. Which is not how we do things.

In general, though, this is not a move towards instigating written-in-stone hierarchy. We do expectionally well at ad hoc hierarchy and leadership (e.g. PLs and SLs for a given evening) and do very well at people coming forward and taking responsibility for specific tasks without immobile and a priori hierarchies. Having no fixed hierarchy is not about having no leaders, it's about those leaders being context specific rather than unquestioned authority.

That being said, I realise how much authority is (absurdly, I feel) invested in myself. It is no longer tenable, and to be honest hasn't been for some time, for me to be set apart in the way the ranks I setup do. It was only ever a joke, but, for better or worse, I am 'outfit leader'. This needs to be flattened out, for practical reasons if nothing else.

So I'm suggesting another role. Something like Balloon Leader where people are nominated by the comunity. But rather than as a recognition of their in-game abilities to lead, it is as a means of drawing out people who take on responsibilities for driving the outfit as a whole. In game and out. As we near 1,000 members, it seems absurd to have not done something like this earlier.

This isn't about creating a leadership clique. It is a little bit about leadership; but it should be a leadership's authority that is given by the community in recognition of effort. I've seen communities (gaming ones in particular) pulled apart by bickering amongst 'leaders'. Let's work out a system which avoids this. Suggestions on how we go about chosing / nominating / deciding upon these outfit leaders and what their responsibilities should be need to be discussed. So please do.

I will write a much more coherent post about this tomorrow in a new thread (which will also serve to push for more BL nominations, which have been thin on the ground recently). But any thoughts before then with regards to the above ramblings are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Stuff about non dictatory leadery people.
    Its fairly clear to see those who have already stepped up to organise a lot of the outfits guides, organisational stuff, events and what not. Regardless of what anybody might say about these people (mostly good, I hope xD ), its clear that they have all at one point or another done the community proud.

So regardless whether they get voted into this leadership role that you speak of or not, im just going to go ahead and post here that I think they all deserve credit and consideration. Thanks to all of you that I list, and anybody else who has helped to organise our glorious outfit in the days gone by. I apologise if I miss anybody, but you are all lovely, so I just picked those that I see has having been at the forefront and those that I have personally noticed. My votes:

- Cooper - This goes without saying, but ill say it anyway.
    - EsotericReverie - Obvious reasons. See all posts ever :P.
    - QuantaCat - Again, mass participation and brilliance.
    - RIDEBIRD - Constant curve balling and excellent interjection .
    - MrEclectic - Stepping up and being mod-est (see what I did there?).
    - Qaz - Guides galore and master of tanks.
    - CMaster - Thank you for silly mondays (and all the other stuff!).

Obviously there are way too many people to keep on going. Youre all awesome in your own way, but as im sure you would all agree the forums would quite literally be empty without them :P. Everybody here wishes they were as awesome as you all.

Fantastic job guys, and even though I know im a constant annoying thorn in your sides, I appreciate it.

Side note: Also want to say thanks to everybody who has helped out in steering us towards sorting out my personal goal of getting the way less important prettifying of stuff out of the way. Special thanks, of course, to Rizlar for putting in several hours of his own time no doubt with the logo and background stuff. While its all not quite finished, we are almost there with that, so cheers.

Also, thanks personally to everybody I have had the pleasure of playing with and following/leading in game. Youre a great bunch of people. <3

/endMushyStuff

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I have been trying to say something of the sort for a bit Cooper, so this is great I think. As you know I don't have much belief in the whole ad hoc thing (even though it has worked well most of the time) and what has often happened is that the ad hoc only stretched so far, and if you were not there when we hit that limit, we've had arguments and such. I very much think a "legitimised" authority makes all the difference in the world. We are a bunch that have stepped up and taken charge when needed, but without the security of some more formalised support it has felt quite scary, for me at least, to do it.

So yeah, this is great!
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I have been trying to say something of the sort for a bit Cooper, so this is great I think. As you know I don't have much belief in the whole ad hoc thing (even though it has worked well most of the time) and what has often happened is that the ad hoc only stretched so far, and if you were not there when we hit that limit, we've had arguments and such. I very much think a "legitimised" authority makes all the difference in the world. We are a bunch that have stepped up and taken charge when needed, but without the security of some more formalised support it has felt quite scary, for me at least, to do it.

So yeah, this is great!
    I think overall he was more afraid of creating a leadership system and then having people be forced to not only fulfil that role, but also the risk of power struggle/solidified status, or something of the sort.

Theres nothing wrong with keeping an ad hoc system in some sense, because it makes sense for people to step up and take control of stuff, especially if it was their idea. I do at least agree that to some extent we need people who act as leaders, though more in a guidance sense, but definitely not in a "Do what I say" sense.

In all honesty, I would say we already kind of do have this in a way, because as I have mentioned we have several guys who have stepped up on multiple occasions to organise things and move the outfit forward. The only thing we dont have is a tag saying blatantly pointing out the fact, which in some ways is good, beause it offers flexibility for them to drop out for a bit without the feeling of abandoning everything.

We dont necessarily need a tag to tell us who these people are, though there is one benefit I can see which is that new members will know who to contact if need be.

Hopefully there can be some sort of system that keeps the values that Cooper originally planned for, but with the organisational utility of a status based system.. I dont know, and I dont envy the job of setting up something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Nominating cfftble for Balloon Leader. Done some good PLing lately, great enthusiastic attitude as well.