Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Large-screen netbook?

So my Dad needs a new computer to replace his dying laptop - it's only for the occasional bit of web-browsing, so a net-book should be fine.

But his eyesight isn't great any more, so I need something with a larger screen (at least 15", preferably larger). It's mostly for home use, so portability isn't a huge issue. But this part of the market seems kind of uncatered for.

I know I could pick up an old refurb machine, but as it'll be a gift I'd rather buy new if possible, but it seems no-one makes net books with big screens...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If it's for home use have you considered getting a cheap/large monitor to plug into it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah but no real space for that.

I thought the point of netbooks was that they were only tiny, so large screen netbook would be an oxymoron, but I see what you're getting at, a low-powered but large screened laptop. I've not heard of anyone putting a netbook chip in a full sized laptop chassis, but there is planty of choice down the bottom end of the laptop market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    There's always the Chromebook.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    iPad

No, seriously, iPad...

Just buy the cheapest 15" laptop you can find. They're basically netbooks anyway. This summer I got my 85 year old grandmother one for 300 euro. Some kind of Acer with a dinky i3 or Celeron or whatever cheap chip and 4GB of RAM. Light enough to have on your lap and if you turn up the scaling in Windows to 125% she can read everything fine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The difference between a 'Netbook' and a 'Laptop' these days is whether they have an optical drive or not - not much else :)

I'm still saying 'iPad' tho :)

Netbooks are typically 12 inches or smaller. The moment you go for larger form factors you may as well just get a standard entry level 15 incer which won't cost much more than a smaller netbook and come with a much better screen, proccessor, etc.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gopromiller View Post
    yeah, i think so,There's always the Chromebook . No, seriously, iPad. thanks for you sharing.
    I'lll say it again - when someone says to me "I play the odd game of solitaire and browse the web, maybe a bit of Skype etc." I make them buy an iPad - and not one of them has looked back even for a second because it's a superior product in EVERY SINGLE WAY for someone like that.

I use their old laptops as a makeshift table - it's getting quite large :)

They also never ring me to remove viruses and spyware or 'make it run fast again' - they play more and different games - they get involved with more stuff because it's just easier to do things like Skype and so on.

One guy has actually written a book - on an iPad. He's owned 4-5 laptops that I can remember and the most he did is 'clock' Solitaire ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'lll say it again - when someone says to me "I play the odd game of solitaire and browse the web, maybe a bit of Skype etc." I make them buy an iPad - and not one of them has looked back even for a second because it's a superior product in EVERY SINGLE WAY for someone like that.
    Okay I'll bite, but do they do iPads with a 15" screen now?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Okay I'll bite, but do they do iPads with a 15" screen now?
    The way you use an iPad, you're MUCH closer to the screen than you would be with a laptop - I'd say a 15" laptop and a 10" iPad are a similar 'visual size' - and iPad apps are designed for greater readability too (my OH's Grandad finds an iPad usable where his 15" laptop was becoming a struggle to read - for example).

I realise that anyone using actual PC software wouldn't even dream of the change - but I see so many laptops which do nothing but Skype/WebBrowser/Angry Birds/Solitare and the OP's request appears to be one of those.

I'm arrogantly assuming people choose the laptop size for readability issues and not a dick-swinging contest of course - but when you add the ease of use and MUCH lower demand on being 'PC aware', you'd be amazed how much of a winner they can be :)

We really have been pushing people into using PCs who don't actually 'use' their PC. Looking at the 'scrap' laptops I have here, not one of them has any software installed other than what came out of the box, a browser, some freeware games and in a few cases a music player...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I too would suggest an iPad or similar tablet. As trjp said, you're much closer to a tablet, we're talking the distance you'd hold a book or newspaper, and the size of the screen has been factored in when people design apps for them, so text on web browsers etc is bigger.

My mother uses her laptop that she paid nearly 700e for once in a blue moon. There's nothing on it that she needs to use that she can't use on a tablet. Next time she's looking to upgrade I'm going to push her towards one instead.

Activated Node
    I find a good rule-of-thumb is that if you are consuming content then a tablet is the way to go, if you want to create content then a laptop is the way to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BDH View Post
    I find a good rule-of-thumb is that if you are consuming content then a tablet is the way to go, if you want to create content then a laptop is the way to go.
    I'd agree with that with 2 provisos

1 if applied completely, the laptop/PC industry is doomed

2 I actually do a good deal of 'creation' on her indoors' iPad these days - photo/graphic editting - music/sfx making - doodling - note taking - mind mapping - even some code editting (tho VERY limited as I'm too mean to pay for the nicer editors!!) - it's amazing what can done on an iPad...