Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Current Gen Couch-MP friendly racing games

So I'm playing a bit of Skydrift earlier and my wife (ever the racing game enthusiast) walks in, watches for a bit, then says "this is really cool, can we play it together?" The answer there is no, in the sense that she means it, because what she's asking is "can we set up a race with you, me, and some AI opponents?" That ability to do this extraordinarily basic thing in a racing game seems to have all but vanished in the latest generation of games. We had a ton of fun doing this with Dreamcast titles, and even moreso with PS2 titles, but a large part of the reason I don't even own a current gen console is because developers and publishers seem to have decided somewhere along the line that it's more important I be able to play with a horde of strangers online than that I be able to play with friends and loved ones in the same room. I don't get it.

So, inclusive of both console and PC games, are there any racing games out there in the current generation that actually WILL let me set up a race with someone in the same room and some AI opponents? Are any of those any good? This is something we really miss doing.

Network Hub
    I don't know how current gen these might be considered, but to varying degrees of racing:

Dirt 3
    Modnation Racers
    Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing

Dirt is definitely in the realms of arcade, the last two are more Mario kart. I think they all have demos, or can be acquired cheaply because they aren't too recent. Modnation is PS3 only, the others are available on everything. I think Forza 4 had split screen, 360 only though.

I'd guess that the lack of split screen is less a design decision and more a technical limitation. Having 2 people in different parts of the track means the console has to render both parts of the track, which is more work. With 30fps already being the target fps (and not even consistently in many games) for a lot of console games the double rendering may just be too much for the shiny that's expected.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    S&SAR doesn't have online MP, as a caveat there for some reason. That said, its sequel is coming out...soon. I don't know why we have no information of it coming out on the PC, but it's already out on the consoles so you can look around for footage of that. Reviews and impressions seem to generally be rather favourable of it too. I'm not really sure of too many others, apart from DiRT 3 as mentioned above.