Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Network Hub

Another disappointing year.

I'm so sick of the industry atm and reviews in general really because everyone just seems to accept mediocrity. I play games now like Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 and I hate them all, they're just generic and I feel like I've played them all before. Far Cry 3 is justa boring generic world, the story is shit, there is only one good character and everything is just repetitive and like an MMO grind with killing 10 boars and climbing Assassin Creed towers. The multiplayer is just crap and you constantly have issues with Uplay....... all they had to do was create online coop so you could have a laugh with a friend like Saints Row 3, they couldn't even do that and instead created some generic DM FPS that no one will play. Hitman....... like Assassin's Creed, why aren't I a Hitman anymore?

I mean all the reviews for Assassin's Creed 3 were great saying how amazing it was and yet when I played I had endless problems with Uplay, I found the mission structure to be crap, I hate timed missions, I thought we got over them years ago? I mean where has the Assassin part gone? The first game had loads of it and it was great, the only down side was the Animus stuff and there wasn't a lot to do inbetween missions. Now all they've done is created lots of boring tedious stuff to do, increased the boring Desmond/Animus stuff I don't care about and gotten rid of being an Assassin. I listen to Giantbomb and they all hate it on their Podcast and yet they gave it a 4/5? This game is a 2/5........ it is crap and not even the best Assassin's Creed game.

Yet the reviews are singing these games praises, they're shit, generic boring games that feel like I've played them over and over again for the past 7 years. Just so bored of games today because they all shamelessly copy each other and they end up all playing the same. I played Batman AA a few years ago and my god the combat was the best, I wondered why no one had done it like that before. Yet now every third person game that comes out seems to be copying it and they don't do nearly a good enough job. If you're going to copy something then get it right, if not your game sucks, I'd rather just go and play what got it done better.

Why is every shooter these days cover based? When Gears of War did it in 2006 I thought it was amazing, it was like the HL of third person shooters to me. I loved that game to bits, they got the atmosphere right, the shooting felt great, I loved the art design and the sci-fi tone and they didn't try any bullshit emotional story, it was like an action movie of the 80s. Then when the second one came out I was bored of cover based shooters already, there was so many of them. When the third Gears came out no one cared what so ever, like OMG 1000 of these before and they're all the same! I feel sorry for Epic a bit but at the same time they just decided to create the same game over and over again.

Portal 2 last year had such a great story, cast of characters and just such a unique style that the game felt special. The story could draw me into the game and I bought into the universe it was based in. They did something tied into HL and they made it feel unique and fresh and even though there was Portal before it, the games felt totally different. That twist was such genius, I didn't see it coming because I loved the character so much and... Portal 2 is just the best writing I've ever experienced in a game. I like experiences that are Unique and masterfully done, I don't want to settle for boring generic game after boring generic game.

The only thing I'll remember 2012 for is Bioware making 3 crap games in a row, having possible the biggest MMO failure of all time and Dayz. I've always wondered why developers have never done this zombie survival experience before. I've asked for it for so many years, it's what I wanted Left 4 Dead to be, I had all these ideas of using physics to build forts and stuff like Garry's mod and then L4D ended up being this arcadey boring Console game. Yet Dayz came out and it caught on like wildfire with my friends and I, it doesn't have the fort building there yet but it's that realistic zombie survival game we all want, I cannot wait for the standalone.

I miss the 90s really though, 3D was just taking off and new genre after new genre was starting. Every game I played was a new and fresh experience and it really lasted well into the mid 00s. The 360 ruined it for me really, that is the point it all went to shit because the PC platform just suddenly switched to console games first. We've had PC IP after PC IP moving to consoles and being dumbed down and ruined. Instead of this natural leap forward we've been having year after year as tech gets better, we suddenly had this downgrade and then slowly developers thought making everything super easy is what people want.

We're now having this resurgence due to console tech being so far behind that the PC version is just clearly the better one, however it doesn't stop the game from sucking. The only saving grace these days seems to be the mods and indy games that have been taking the limelight. What Minecraft has done for the industry has still yet to be felt but you can be sure Dayz wouldn't have existed without it. It really has given this birth to the playing fueling development and now people are funding Kickstarter games and I cannot wait to see how that all turns out.

I'm just tired of these so called AAA developers and Publishers just creating generic mediocre game after generic mediocre game. The best thing these developers could do is release an SDK for their games on the PC. That way modders could fix half the problems.

Activated Node
    I think you might have been playing the wrong games this year...

Activated Node
    I think you have a point but I also think it's too strongly worded.

I agree that this has been yet another year of hugely disapointing AAA games with little innovation, atmosphere, depth of character. But there have been a lot of smaller companies making some pretty good games.

I dont know what your style is but, for example.

Waking Mars,
    Elemental: Fallen Enchantress,
    Legend of Grimrock,
    Crusader Kings 2,
    Loads of 2d platformers/ Roguelikes which arent my thing but im told are excellent,
    Endless Space (WHich i actually didnt like but most others do,
    Walking Dead (And plenty of other adventure games
    etc

The AAA quality of games has gone right down IMO so I do agree with that point. And the last few years, for me at least, has seen disapointment after disapointment.

But really, you dont have too look too hard to find a lot of gems from each year, for most genres. And I think the next couple of years are only going to get better, with complexity, atmosphere and depth making a very loud return.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwout View Post
    I think you might have been playing the wrong games this year...
    What this dude said. 'AAA' big name money-makers, like any other media outlet, are generally going to be mediocre, rehashed, uninspired, pick another negative adjective, because they're the games that are made to appeal to the largest amount of people. This didn't really happen so much in the 90's because gaming was still pretty new, where as now it is a massive market. I wish I could say that in a way that didn't sound like I'm a condescending dick, but I don't know how. If you have fun playing them, awesome. But they are, as a rule, not going to be particularly creative or innovative. You have to look in the smaller, niche markets for that. Big huge publishers are pumping out the same stuff every year because they can, and it makes them loads of money, but they're not the only games being made. There are more independent, small developers around then ever before and they are the ones pushing and innovating. 'This year sucked' is said every year, but I think you're just looking in the wrong place, mate.

Haven't you done this already? What differentiates this from your constant stream of negativity on the forums? If you really don't like playing games as much these days... maybe you should find another hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    If you really don't like playing games as much these days... maybe you should find another hobby.
    Truth.

I'm all for a bit of considered criticism, but when the overriding message is constant negativity there's a big question mark over what your doing with you life tbh. Don't like new games? Or the way the industry is going? Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the outlook is not good that things are suddenly going to swing your way. Maybe find yourself a new home over at www.retrogamer.net perhaps?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    STOP HAVING FUN GUYS

SERIOUSLY

>:C

allcaps
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    STOP HAVING FUN GUYS

SERIOUSLY

>:C

allcaps
    OMG LEIK GET A LIFE, (insert random insulting word).

Life is misery, sadness and hopelessness, you can't have fun!
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Breaking time up into sales cycles and expecting entertainment giants to leave you fulfilled will always disappoint. If this was a year wherein more people began to suspect that, then it was a good year.

We're living in the middle of an unprecedented eruption of independent cultural production. In the last few years I've had access to ten times the mind-blowing games, music, film and art that I would have over a similar interval in the nineties or even early 2000s, and for a fraction of the price. The ease with which I can produce and distribute these things myself has also grown geometrically. If a few tepid offerings from a few corporate dinosaurs is enough to leave you disappointed with your year, maybe it's time to change your perspective, or your life.
    Sometimes I write things

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Far Cry 3 is justa boring generic world, the story is shit, there is only one good character
    Komodo Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Now i will angrily play through another brand-new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Now i will angrily play through another brand-new game.
    The spirit of the age.

Why do you buy and play those shitty AAA games then? If you know they aren't innovative or original in any way, why would you play them? There's plenty of good games out there, indies, old games and a very limited number of AAA games that are really worth playing. Stop focusing on the negative side of things, you dumb butt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Why do you buy and play those shitty AAA games then? If you know they aren't innovative or original in any way, why would you play them? There's plenty of good games out there, indies, old games and a very limited number of AAA games that are really worth playing. Stop focusing on the negative side of things, you dumb butt.
    I am suddenly very disappointed that there is no good picture to go along with "dumb butt."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Honestly, this year has seen some of the most consistently innovative, competent, impressive independent and (relatively) low budget games I've seen since the amiga days (and even those had a much higher rate of failure, as there just weren't as many established game design standards, nor as many people with the right skills). You may well be right that the huge name games have been disappointingly mediocre this year, but I wouldn't know, as that's been the expected thing for so many years that it's well beyond a cliché.

Not only that, but the future seems brighter than it has been for many years, with sites like gog.com going from strength to strength, the idiocy of DRM finally starting to go the way of the glass hammer, and kickstarter and the humble bundle concepts creating more and safer ways into creating games for programmers and other game makers who don't want to squander their talent in the AAA salt mines. And the industry and culture of games and games journalism are starting to show signs that they want to mature and improve, too.

Really, the only way you could even consider this a bad year for games is if you're not even paying attention to most of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I play games now like Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 and I hate them all, they're just generic and I feel like I've played them all before.
    You play Assassin's Creed 5, Hitman 5, Far Cry 3 and feel like you've played them before? Gee, what are the odds?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Another year where I'm positively drowning in good games to play. The backlog just gets longer, my time just keeps getting shorter. The OP has no idea how good he has it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Another year where I'm positively drowning in good games to play. The backlog just gets longer, my time just keeps getting shorter. The OP has no idea how good he has it.
    This. I've barely scratched the surface of Legend of Grimrock, not to speak about Crusader Kings 2 or Sword of the Stars 2 and so forth, and that's only the PC space. On consoles I have MGS HD Collection, Silent Hill Downpour, Halo 4 and some such. At this pace, I've played somewhat sufficiently most of the interesting to me games released in 2012 sotimetime around 2014 or 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I completely agree with this. This year (just like last year) I find myself in a state where I think that this year is fantastic because of all the good games that came out. It's the same with movies, there just so many that impress me in some kind of way that each movie feels special.
    Maybe fandom is like a sine wave.

Network Hub
    You might as well be telling me it's been a shit year for music because you don't like any of the contestants on X-Factor.