Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Why is people taking cover such a big issue? I really don't understand the rage attached to it. Does nobody use cover in TPS/FPS games?
    As is usually the case, people are mistaking a mechanic used badly for a bad mechanic. A lot of the time, a cover system turns a game into wack-a-mole. It doesn't always have to be though and Max Payne 3 is a good example of it being done right.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Curmudgeons live to be grumpy, they enjoy it. Ever disliked something and enjoyed shunning it? Be careful it can be addictive.
    Friends don't let friends be happy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    - Every TPS is now Gears of War
    - Every FPS is now COD
    - Every RTS game is now turned into a MOBA
    - Every Horror game is now an action game
    - Every adventure game is now a quick time event based game
    - Every MMO is now WoW
    Not every, but most. The thing is, there are so many games these days you could still fill a great year of gaming solely playing the exceptions to those rules.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Not every, but most. The thing is, there are so many games these days you could still fill a great year of gaming solely playing the exceptions to those rules.
    I guess the one thing that can disappoint me in gaming these days is the knowledge that when I'm playing something really good, if only it had the sorts of budgets more boring games get it could be really special. It's not something you should let bother you too much but it's quite hard to avoid some disappointment. It's not really anything to do with the quality of a particular game, more the sort of thing that bothers me when I'm reflecting on my hobby.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I stay away from the "games" that have ads on TV. They're made for the same audience that watches TV.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I stay away from the "games" that have ads on TV. They're made for the same audience that watches TV.
    Bravo, that was a very funny parody of the OP's trite and insulting dismissal of an entire medium based on a handful of bad examples.

That's what it was, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be fair, most game ads I have seen on TV have made me less sympathetic to the game being advertised.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    To be fair, most game ads I have seen on TV have made me less sympathetic to the game being advertised.
    I take more issue with his second sentence than his first.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Bravo, that was a very funny parody of the OP's trite and insulting dismissal of an entire medium based on a handful of bad examples.

That's what it was, right?
    The quotation marks really bring it home.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    So no Portal 2 then?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    So no Portal 2 then?
    To be fair to the pos(t)er as an owner of a plusbox-TiVo-type-thing I no longer watch adverts on TV, people who sit though adverts in this day and age worry me. Even adverts on websites are less offensive as they take up space, not time.

Youtube adverts can die in a fire though, they make my want to use the download plugin on everything I ever watch and just "get back to it".
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    The mainstream side of the industry is not the entire industry.

Your general disaffection sounds like what I went through for a long time. I came to the conclusion I had changed, not the industry and most games were simply no longer the kind of thing I was interested in. I went from being rabid about all games to not giving a crap about 99% of them. That's the position I'm still in. Every now and again a game will capture my attention, but it's quite rare. I've changed, you've changed. There's no big deal or crisis. Find something else to do. Read a book, I'm reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. It's really good.

Being less interested in games is a good thing in my opinion. They can be all consuming, and while we all need pure play time to get away from life's annoying parts, they are pretty much a dead end intellectually and should be consumed in moderation. You're LUCKY you hate most of the stuff out there. You have an in-built escape route. Just don't spend the time you would have been playing games on the Internet. That's an even greater waste of time.

So no Portal 2 then?
    I'm not sure there are any video game ads on TV here in Poland :-). So I can pretend ignorance as to which game is advertised and which isn't. I just checked that Ass Creed and the other one are. But I stopped watching TV a few years ago. In any case, I haven't played either of the Portal games yet.

My post above was largely a provocation, but I do think it's an okay rule of thumb, and I'm attracted to obscure games and interesting mechanics.
    pass

Dawn of War was advertised on TV and it was really good :(

fucking hilarious, love it.

My post above was largely a provocation, but I do think it's an okay rule of thumb, and I'm attracted to obscure games and interesting mechanics.
    That all people who watch TV are somehow dumb? I hate to break it to you but I think the only one coming off as 'dumb' is you.

Just as there's plenty of inane games, there's plenty of inane TV for sure, but this idea that it's all risible is a nonsense. There's plenty of smart articulate television out there. In fact I'd go so far to say that right now as far as mediums go, TV over the last few years has really come on when it comes to Drama's etc.

People like yourself and the OP really do show yourselves up with your binary attitudes to things.....

Whatever next? Books are bad because your mother spends her days reading Mills & Boon?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 02-12-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post

The problem is it's all the same these days :\

- Every TPS is now Gears of War
    - Every FPS is now COD
    - Every RTS game is now turned into a MOBA
    - Every Horror game is now an action game
    - Every adventure game is now a quick time event based game
    - Every MMO is now WoW

Sick of it.
    Have you played Natural Selection 2? Crusader Kings 2? Chivalry? FTL? Mark of the Ninja? Dishonored? The Walking Dead? Planetside 2? Dark Souls?

There are plenty of games this year that have tried new things or developed existing formula. If the only games you play are AAA then yeh I guess you are gonna have a very particular kind of gaming experience.

That all people who watch TV are somehow dumb? I hate to break it to you but I think the only one coming off as 'dumb' is you.
    Are you suggesting they aren't ?

Whatever next? Books are bad because your mother spends her days reading Mills & Boon?
    Books are bad because they contradict each other. And they describe people that have never actually lived. They are often sad and make people displeased.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 02-12-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    pass

Are you suggesting they aren't ?
    Well as I've not met every TV viewer everywhere I couldn't say with any degree of certainty. However given most people I engage with on a daily basis are post grads and a fair few of them (bizarre as it may seem) don't play games, but a large majority do watch Television as well as read books I'd probably say it's unlikely that all TV viewers are in fact 'dumb'.

Books are bad because they contradict each other. And they describe people that have never actually lived. They are often sad and make people displeased.
    Guess you've never heard of non-fiction. Crawl back under your bridge.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 02-12-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    hopefully, with the release of the new xbox next year, new more excellent games will be available.