Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    If by annoying you mean showing you up for the imbecilic hipster you apparently are then colour me bad I guess. Also I'm not sure how procreation and education works in your end of the world (Poland I'm guessing) but here in the UK we breed the traditional way and education occurs in the home & the school, not solely via the TV screen.
    Actually, since you started with personal attacks, there's a stereotype that the British raise their children by leaving them in front of their TVs. If rumors are to be believed, this happens in UK more than anywhere else. Deal with it.

Now I'm off to steal a bottle of vodka ;-).
    pass

Network Hub
    And I was thinking I had so much fun with all those hours spent on Crusader Kings II. Guess I was wrong and it was actually tedious and repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Actually, since you started with personal attacks, there's a stereotype that the British raise their children by leaving them in front of their TVs. If rumors are to be believed, this happens in UK more than anywhere else. Deal with it.

Now I'm off to steal a bottle of vodka ;-).
    Have you ever considered writing for the Daily Mail?

Obscure Node
    Television doesn't breed dumb people, dump people breed dump people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Even intelligent people breed dumb people. They're called babies, and they need to learn some shit in order to not be dumb people. The television will help you if you want them to learn dumb shit and grow into dumb adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Even intelligent people breed dumb people. They're called babies, and they need to learn some shit in order to not be dumb people. The television will help you if you want them to learn dumb shit and grow into dumb adults.
    Yes because absolutely everything on television is the same worthless crap. Dumb generalisations make dumb people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Yes because absolutely everything on television is the same worthless crap. Dumb generalisations make dumb people.
    There's never been anything of merit ever shown on tv! No documentaries, no news, no drama or comedies with wit and intelligence. It's obviously all I'm a Celebrity Get Me On X-Factor Shore and has been since the dawn of time.

(I find it slightly ironic that people on the internet are trying to suggest that tv makes dumb people. On the internet​)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I see how misrepresenting my stance makes it easier to ridicule. Unfortunately, that's not what I said.
    One bad apple spoils the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    (I find it slightly ironic that people on the internet are trying to suggest that tv makes dumb people. On the internet​)
    The Internet is full of smart things. You don't have to sit through stupid shows to get to them. You don't have to spend days reading youtube comments. You just have to choose the good stuff. For someone who likes to investigate and follow his interests, the Internet is an unsurpassed source of information. Try that with TV. You can also mute people with you're fed up with, as I've done with several people on these forums (they were guilty of too low signal to noise ratio).

TV and traditional press are all about bundling. There are only a few articles or shows you really care about, but they stuff it with all the extra horoscopes and crap. And you have to pay for it. I build my press from RSS.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 03-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    pass

I see how misrepresenting my stance makes it easier to ridicule. Unfortunately, that's not what I said.
    I was replying to the quote directly above my response... Not you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar

The Internet is full of smart things. You don't have to sit through stupid shows to get to them. You don't have to spend days reading youtube comments. You just have to choose the good stuff. For someone who likes to investigate and follow his interests, the Internet is an unsurpassed source of information. Try that with TV. You can also mute people with you're fed up with, as I've done with several people on these forums (they were guilty of too low signal to noise ratio).

TV and traditional press are all about bundling. There are only a few articles or shows you really care about, but they stuff it with all the extra horoscopes and crap. And you have to pay for it. I build my press from RSS.
    Genuinely not sure of how the situation is anywhere else but all the channels here in the UK have on demand services, usually free. You don't have to watch TV at all, just the programmes you want, when you want. You could watch a score of great dramas, documentaries, films etc without ever watching anything else, not even advertisements on the BBC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Never happened in System Shock 2.
    Ah! Then maybe you're not talking about specific eras in gaming, but about specific games!

How about​ that!

The Internet is full of smart things.
    If only there was a prime example of that, but try as I might, I can't find it in this thread.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If only there was a prime example of that, but try as I might, I can't find it in this thread.
    You could check Wikipedia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    You could check Wikipedia.
    If you think Wikipedia's an authoritative source of information, you're dumber than the rest of us.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I go back and try some of these games now-Age of Empires, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Thief games, I lost hundreds of hours to each-and they seem clunky and frustrating.
    I think that's a fair assessment for the most part, but I'd suggest that a lot of the clunkiness comes from them being around during relatively limited times. We have much higher resolution displays these days that can allow for much better UIs as well as a lot more processing power to make the game worlds a lot more believable. The original XCOM can be a chore to play because its UI isn't particularly good, because there's only so much you can shove onto such a low resolution display. We were more accepting back then because it was just a limit we had to put up with, they couldn't really do any better. It's why manuals were so important - they could only cram so much into the game itself, the rest had to go into a manual.

But times have changed and there's really no excuse not to have enough information in your game itself to grasp the core mechanics of it. The old "depth = complexity = 500 page manual with 6000 UI elements" is wrong, and I don't know why people are advocating for it. I think it's perfectly possible to have a game with great depth that doesn't require such a massive investment of time to learn how to play it. I'm glad those types of games exist, because even though I have fairly limited time to play them, I enjoy the challenge. But I don't have the patience to learn the mechanics if they're poorly explained.

Well to be fair there are plenty of intelligent things on the interwebernets. It's done a great deal for connectivity... I mean it's fairly remarkable that I can be here burning to death in Brisbane while you're in NYC in much cooler weather, talking about the incredibly important business of digital interactive entertainments.

Unfortunately, the face the Internet presents is either the ridiculous 90s-version of "big encyclopedia thingy" or fucking memes. Also it doesn't help that TED talks seem to be moving away from science and shit to "Lol this guy is moot he's kind of a big deal talk to us!"

Banned
    If you think Wikipedia's an authoritative source of information, you're dumber than the rest of us.
    No of course, it's full of magic and fairies and all kinds of nonsense without a scrap of reality to it's name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Unfortunately, the face the Internet presents is either the ridiculous 90s-version of "big encyclopedia thingy" or fucking memes. Also it doesn't help that TED talks seem to be moving away from science and shit to "Lol this guy is moot he's kind of a big deal talk to us!"
    True that. I like TED, but they do tend to go for showmanship a lot. I find the long now foundation tend to do some decent seminars with guests: -

http://longnow.org/seminars/podcast/
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    True that. I like TED, but they do tend to go for showmanship a lot. I find the long now foundation tend to do some decent seminars with guests: -

http://longnow.org/seminars/podcast/
    Big Think is great for mostly bite-sized bits of knowledgification.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    No of course, it's full of magic and fairies and all kinds of nonsense without a scrap of reality to it's name.
    It's not an authoritative source... I think that's more what Nalano was getting at. Wikipedia only works because there's always someone else out to prove somebody else wrong on the Internet. Unfortunately that leads to edit wars and people going "No, I'm an American and Wikipedia is clearly American so we're using aluminum and not aluminium..." for no reason other than they believe their perspective is right and it must be enforced. Nobody's saying it's bad for background information or general reading, just that it can't be relied upon. It's better to actually check the sources and sometimes the Talk page to see what people are arguing about.

True that. I like TED, but they do tend to go for showmanship a lot.
    I barely bother to watch TED talks now because it's more of a performance than anything else lately...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Internet is full of smart things. You don't have to sit through stupid shows to get to them. You don't have to spend days reading youtube comments. You just have to choose the good stuff. For someone who likes to investigate and follow his interests, the Internet is an unsurpassed source of information. Try that with TV.
    I've been watching TV like that for about a decade. Even my parents watch TV like that these days. World's moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I've been watching TV like that for about a decade. Even my parents watch TV like that these days. World's moved on.
    Maybe you have, but the world certainly hasn't. Most TV channels support themselves with advertising, so someone (a lot of someones) must be watching TV that way.