Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    What is up with all the KSes remaking DUngeon Keeper?
    Dungeon keeper rocks, that's pretty much it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    Guys, 6 days to go.

Kickstarter link:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world?ref=live

I had totally forgotten about this until the bump. Backed it, and just one day later they reached their goal with five days to go.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

And six months later, it shows up on Steam early access.

So, Dungeons and Impire were both not very well received, and both deviated substantially from Dungeon Keeper's formula. I wonder if a straight-up clone has any more of a chance of being succesful.

Has anyone given the beta a go yet?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I gave the beta a go, I backed the project and got my key on Wednesday.

Although the beta is incredibly basic, this game is essentially "Dungeon Keeper - Green tiles edition".

It's that similar.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Network Hub
    So why support it? aren't they at least plan to expand on the basic concept a little? it's not like Dungeon Keeper was perfect, it lacked heavily on the Dungeon Simulation aspects.

The problem with the inspired by games is that they took the less interesting and fun parts from DK and expanded on them, rather than focusing on enriching the dungeon building-simulation aspect.
    Last edited by burningpet; 17-05-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Reasons I supported it.

1) It's for all effect and purpose Dungeon Keeper 3. DK3 was meant to be called Dungeon Keeper 3: The War for the Overworld in which you would lead your forces out of the underworld and into the overworld.
    2) It has the blessings of Peter Molyneux, it has his support. They also managed to get the original voice actor for the guy who told you things in the game.
    3) It's more Dungeon Keeper, a game I absolutely love.
    4) They know it's more Dungeon Keeper and unlike Impire and Dungeons which pretended to be a "little" Dungeon Keeper, they where not.
    5) They are expanding some of it. There'll be new traps, creatures, spells. The old spells they're copying will be modified. There'll be tweaks to improve on the bad parts of Dungeon Keeper, for example, it now costs energy to pick up monsters, at an inverse of their health. So the lower the HP they have, the more it costs for you to pick them up.
    6) EA aren't giving up Dungeon Keeper 3. Ever.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 18-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

for what its worth, dungeon keeper inspired so many people, theyd be silly not to rebuild the game as it is and then work their way up. its the logical thing to do.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    So why support it? aren't they at least plan to expand on the basic concept a little? it's not like Dungeon Keeper was perfect, it lacked heavily on the Dungeon Simulation aspects.

The problem with the inspired by games is that they took the less interesting and fun parts from DK and expanded on them, rather than focusing on enriching the dungeon building-simulation aspect.
    Perhaps some people don't WANT an "enriched" dungeon simulation. Honestly my favorite part was finding the blocks with gold in them and mining it. I barely cared about the rest of the game.

Network Hub
    1) So, is this feature going to be in this game too? or did they just take the name?
    if its not going to be in the game, then this is a very bad point that only strengthen the notion that they have no ability to expand on the concept if they even cant come up with a name of their own.

2) his blessing is something which has zero effect on anything and was only good for PR purposes which were needed during the KS campaign to shut the "OMG they are stealing DK" butt hurt kids. i don't care if they carbon copy DK or not, I care if they will provide a fresh and better game and that blessing is not an indication of neither.

3,4) yes, that's exactly my point. i too love DK and DK2, why i still have both sitting right here on my desktop and why i don't need a semi direct clone. if i want more DK i just need to double click on an icon.

5) That's not expanding, that's just content switching. new traps, creatures and spells are very nice to have, but if they are just a reskinned and slightly modified elements, its mundane. the energy cost to pick up monsters is a good decision, though.

6) They aren't giving up the title, as in, the name? meh. a title is just that, a title. if a big developer wanted to make another Dungeon Keeper, of course that title would have been helpful for their PR and marketing efforts, but they don't really need it in regards to the game itself.

This whole project started out as a direct open source clone to DK that was later changed so they could monetize on it. i have no problem with developers wanting to make money of their creations, but i will need a reason to want to give them that money. from what i have seen, there isn't one yet. their stretch goals are extremely not interesting and almost none of them contribute to the actual base concept.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    for what its worth, dungeon keeper inspired so many people, theyd be silly not to rebuild the game as it is and then work their way up. its the logical thing to do.
    But will they work their way up? that's the fundamental question.

MoLAos - easy solution. double click DK2 icon, go fetch gold blocks.

I mean, I love towns and all, it gives me a dungeon keeper kind of thing. but dk 1&2 were both extremely moody. I loved that. so i havent invested in the project, but if they end up improving it, it might be a great thing.

anyhow, maia is waaaay more interesting. I trust simon roth to make a better "dungeon keeper in soul" than these guys.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned

I wish I had enough time to blow it clicking on gold blocks. Sadly I don't. I even had to give up playing CK2 14 hours a day.

Look, people into FPS get a dozen 100million dollar Doom reskins a year, so I think we deserve ONE dungeon keeper reskin.

CoD57, HALO29, Battlefield15.

DK/DK clones are only on their 3rd or 4th reskin.

Maia - I'm hoping it'll be good but I doubt it's going to have the charm that Dungeon Keeper has. It might have a different sort of charm though.

burningpet -

I don't know what the campaign is, they haven't said yet because they don't want it leaked.

I'm not sure what you expect of sequels from games other than to take the elements of the last game and improve on it. How is that not expanding? Did DK2 not bring in new elements such as new traps, new creatures and new rooms? Until we see all the creatures and traps and rooms we won't know how much they changed and included.

This is effectively a sequel to DK2, which as I said we're never getting from EA. And forget about the name. EA could call it Dungeon Keeper 3: Megacity edition, the point is that they won't make it or a game like it.

The argument of "but I already have Dungeon Keeper 2!", that's great and so do I, but it doesn't stop me and obviously others wanting more games in the same vein. I've played DK2 to death, I want to see what people can do when they take DK and build on it.

Steam ID