Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Zelda Timeline Explained

High quality video by gametrailers explaining the zelda chronology and timeline after the last changes. The editing is great and they use a high quality 3D render of Hyrule's castle to explain it, it's actually quite impressing.

Teaser:

Video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-epi...egend-of-zelda

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    But it's all nonsense strung together to give context to puzzles and comb- NOOOO!!! LOOK NOT INTO THE ABYSS!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    But it's all nonsense strung together to give context to puzzles and comb- NOOOO!!! LOOK NOT INTO THE ABYSS!
    So is Catholicism and here we are 2000 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    But priests get better hats. It's all about the hats.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post

The hat is pretty freaking terrible, its like a windsock.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    To be fair, the Catholic Church has spent the better part of the last 2000 years trying to fit everything together. Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to have no interest in actually creating a cohesive timeline for their franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    By that token, the TF2 timeline is the greatest work ever created.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    To be fair, the Catholic Church has spent the better part of the last 2000 years trying to fit everything together. Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to have no interest in actually creating a cohesive timeline for their franchise.
    Last I heard Catholicism was still reeling from their creation theory being blasted out of the water and the attack of the dinosaurs that shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Last I heard Catholicism was still reeling from their creation theory being blasted out of the water
    Fun fact of the day: the Big Bang theory (the scientific theory, not the TV show) was the invention of a Catholic priest, Georges Lemaître. The Catholic Church also officially accepted the theory of evolution in 1950. They didn't deny it beforehand, they just didn't talk about it. Some members of Catholicism are rather staunchly antiscientific, but the Catholic Church as a whole isn't.

If only they were as progressive on other issues.

Banned
    Fun fact of the day: the Big Bang theory (the scientific theory, not the TV show) was the invention of a Catholic priest, Georges Lemaître. The Catholic Church also officially accepted the theory of evolution in 1950. They didn't deny it beforehand, they just didn't talk about it. Some members of Catholicism are rather staunchly antiscientific, but the Catholic Church as a whole isn't.

If only they were as progressive on other issues.
    With a fanbase as large as that of the Catholic church it's no surprise that not all of them put too much stock in the traditional magic invisible man creates the universe in seven days and forgets about the dinosaurs theory.

The Catholic church has historically endeavoured to hold back scientific progress if it contradicted their beliefs in even the slightest way, so let's not be pretending it's a modern and progressive organisation even taking into account their lunatic beliefs. Contraceptives are still banned, for example, because nothing puts the fear of God into Catholics quite like a lubed up condom.
    Last edited by TheXand; 04-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.

The Catholic church has historically endeavoured to hold back scientific progress if it contradicted their beliefs in even the slightest way,
    My point is that there's no real evidence supporting this conclusion. On the contrary, up until the 18th century nearly any scientific advancement in the Western world was either funded or directly done by the Catholic Church. The idea that the Church actively opposed scientific findings which didn't agree with their world view is, for the most part, a myth. Even its famous falling out with Galileo Galilei is more due to a personal dispute between him and Pope Urban VIII (who initially supported Galileo) rather than his theories.

The Catholic Church has the great advantage that they don't adhere to Biblical literarism, so there's no initial conflict between them and science. Indeed, Pope Leo XIII wrote in 1893 that "no real disagreement can exist between the theologian and the scientist provided each keeps within his own limits". If you're really interested in this subject, Thomas E. Woods wrote an excellent book about it. Or you could read the Wikipedia entry on the Catholic Church and science.

so let's not be pretending it's a modern and progressive organisation even taking into account their lunatic beliefs. Contraceptives are still banned, for example, because nothing puts the fear of God into Catholics quite like a lubed up condom.
    You'll hear no objection from me there. Which is why I the last sentence in my previous post exists.

Activated Node
    It took two posts for this thread to be completely derailed. Must be a record.

Banned
    My point is that there's no real evidence supporting this conclusion. On the contrary, up until the 18th century nearly any scientific advancement in the Western world was either funded or directly done by the Catholic Church. The idea that the Church actively opposed scientific findings which didn't agree with their world view is, for the most part, a myth. Even its famous falling out with Galileo Galilei is more due to a personal dispute between him and Pope Urban VIII (who initially supported Galileo) rather than his theories.

The Catholic Church has the great advantage that they don't adhere to Biblical literarism, so there's no initial conflict between them and science. Indeed, Pope Leo XIII wrote in 1893 that "no real disagreement can exist between the theologian and the scientist provided each keeps within his own limits". If you're really interested in this subject, Thomas E. Woods wrote an excellent book about it. Or you could read the Wikipedia entry on the Catholic Church and science.
    You're doing that irritating thing that modern people have a tendency to do, that is to say try to whitewash history by transplanting their own modern beliefs and make bold, false statements about how bad things weren't so bad as all that either to go against the grain and act out their rebel fancies and be a little different and controversial.

The fact remains that the Catholic church had a chokehold on nearly all academic pursuits in most of Europe, and given it's inherently conservative mindset and irrational beliefs disliked any sort of wild ideas that might have rocked the boat as it were. The fact that there existed brilliant scientists in Catholic and other religious societies isn't because of religion, it's in spite of it. Those men would have been nominally Catholic at best. True Catholics wouldn't question the answers given them in the Bible.

The Catholic church and evolution is a brilliant example of how the Catholic church can hold back scientific progress. Darwin published his book in 1859, yet it's well documented the hostility that the Catholic church afforded it, to the point that it was only considered an acceptable theory and compatible with the fairytale creation myth in the Bible in 1950 as you yourself said.

Galileo being put on trial is also a great example, as much as Christians try to rewrite it as a misunderstanding between Pope and Galileo. The very fact that was able to happen is proof enough that the Catholic church was against science.

Never mind all those burned at the stake for "heretical" thoughts, such as scientists like Giordano Bruno, for believing the sun was a star, as well as the other activities of the various Inquisition movements to stifle science and progress.

There was also the matter of that long list of "forbidden" texts in the Index Librorum Prohibitum, which quite clearly includes a goodly number of very progressive scientific texts merely because the Catholic church deemed them heretical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_L...ks_and_authors

Banned
    Fiddlesticks, good luck trying to justify the various Inquisition movements and the burning of scholars such as Giordano Bruno, and the inclusion of a great deal of works in the Index Librorum Prohibitum that were banned by the Church for being heretical because they were far too scientificaly progressive.

Galileo was put on trial for his works being heretical, so you may stop rewriting history to make it seem the Catholic church had it's hands clean. The very fact it was even able to happen shows just how progressive the Church was.

Another point of contention is the theory of evolution, as proposed by Darwin in 1859. So reviled by the Church it took them near a century to ratify it as compatible with their beliefs in 1950, in the face of overwhelming proof and popular belief in it.

Science progressed in spite of the Catholic church, not because of it. The only reason that they have retroactively made it seem that science is compatible with their faith is because of the overwhelming popularity of scientific method, logic and reason which was kickstarted during the Scottish Renaissance that put logic before gods.

I'm paraphrasing an earlier post I made refuting you, but it's still pending moderator approval because I must not have a high enough post count to include links yet.
    Last edited by TheXand; 05-12-2012 at 07:14 AM.

You may not be able to post links, but surely you are able to read them. I've provided you with two sources discussing the relationship between the Catholic Church and science, both of which support my arguments. If you can show me why those sources are factually inaccurate, I'm willing to listen. Otherwise, I see no point in continuing this discussion.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cut back to Zelda.

Banned
    Zelda is obviously an extension of Catholic beliefs. Link is Jesus and the Triforce represents the Father, Son and Holy Ghost and Ganondorf is Satan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

The hat is pretty freaking terrible, its like a windsock.
    Hence "Wind Waker".

Also.

How you people went from Zelda to Religious babble is beyond me.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 07-12-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Banned
    God willed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Already watched few of their retrospective long time ago and they really make effort to do this videos,blast to watch them. Thanks for link.