Activated Node

Miner Wars 2081: Should I get it?

There's this game called Miner Wars 2081, popping up everywhere, especially on my Steam.

Just want an opinion from the people who played it:

Is it any good?

Should I buy this game?

If I do have this game, what can I expect beyond just destructible environs & 6DOF?

Play the demo, only thing disabled is saving.

I decided not to.

I haven't played it a whole lot, and I've only played single-player, but I think it's pretty cool. The AI seems a bit dumb at times, as it pretty much runs straight up to you until it reaches a certain range and then fires at you mercilessly, but I've also only played the first few missions, so it might just be the enemy types.

There is a "glowing trail" feature that leads you to objectives, but it's not on all the time (only for like 5-10 seconds after you press the button). I know that puts some people off to know it exists, though.

I think by far the oddest nuance of gameplay is that the traditional pick ups are turned into boxes you have to fly up to and press a key to get the ammo/repairs/what-have-you out of.

The DRM has been putting a lot considerable number of people off, but I didn't notice it, personally.

Network Hub
    It has a great framework for a game but the game itself is very underwhelming. I actually pre-ordered it 2 years ago for 70% off at the time

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    The AI seems a bit dumb at times, as it pretty much runs straight up to you until it reaches a certain range and then fires at you mercilessly,
    in general, the game looks ok to me but i cannot help but notice that AIs are not that smart. it's kind of annoying sometimes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    How and what is the multiplayer then? Objective-based or deathmatch? Will there be mods?

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    How and what is the multiplayer then? Objective-based or deathmatch? Will there be mods?
    I couldn't tell you because I haven't explored it yet (girlfriend is not interested in the game and friends don't own it, so it'll inevitably take more time until I do) but there is a co-op mode available. As for the multiplayer that's labeled multiplayer, I can always check in on it and get back to you.

From what I can tell, there won't be mods. Though if the company goes under, they'll be releasing the master server source code, so maybe they'll release more than just that when the time comes.

Banned
    Disappointing to hear that it's actually rather underwhelming, it had such great potential.

Network Hub
    Haven't played Miner Wars 2081 yet, but been checking the reviews about the game. The plot is kinda interesting. And I agree that it has a great potential. Who knows if one will give it a try and find it very enjoying, no doubt he'll be hooked by this game. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I got it for $3.75 on GMG. Impressions. I haven't played much of it yet, but what I've played so far hasn't been particularly compelling. The asteroid station interiors have a really bizarre sense of scale. With so many massive, oddly shaped, yet not very detailed objects to navigate through and around, it seems as if you're flying in a miniaturized toy in a regular-sized world. It's disorienting and claustrophobic.

It has none of the grace of the space dogfighting of Freespace, Freelancer, et al., at least so far. It's more like sit in a room and fire at other things in the room--there isn't space to do much else. Most of the time you're simply shooting at red brackets on your HUD, red brackets that are barely distinguishable from enemy ships that are nowhere near you, as in, far away in other rooms. And there's so much hectic noise that determining where you're being shot from is difficult (visual cues aren't much help either, since damage is indicated by a deteriorating windshield--or whatever--and enemies are firing bullets at you, not brightly colored energy weapons). The story dialogue progresses while enemies are firing at you, while your ship is blaring verbal warnings about its state of disrepair and incoming enemies. The game also seems to suffer from the old space sim mantra: if there's an available key, map a vital command to it. After Freelancer, I really can't abide this anymore.

Staying alive seems to depend on recharging via crates containing various resources, but finding them in the vomitous maze of rooms, tubes and corridors is not fun. Pressing T gives you a visual line indicator to your objective; without it, I doubt I could find my way anywhere. Everything looks the same. I suppose I could be drilling tunnels to create alternate routes, but I'm not sure what the point would be if I barely know where I am and have no idea where I'm going.

None of this is really a surprise based on the gameplay I've seen. I was hoping to be able to slog through the claustrophobic 6DOF parts to get out into the solar system, mine, trade, do space things, and maybe take in a decent story. Getting there, if there even exists, is turning out to be more of a chore than I imagined. I'll probably change the difficulty from normal to easy and try one more time.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 08-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.

I think I may have judged this too harshly. Despite a good number of annoyances, there's a fun little game in here. I still think the combat within interiors is mostly shit, and that it was a bad idea to start off the game with two of these missions back to back. However, they aren't oppressively unpleasant as an occasional part of the broader gameplay. Several missions in, things begin to take on a Freelancer sort of feel--racing around the galaxy (here just a solar system) uncovering a mystery amidst the power struggle of leftover factions of Earth.

I have yet to encounter a suggested breather from the story in the vein of Freelancer, and the one time I tried to go off the rails the game glitched out on me, forcing me to travel to an objective to learn about a station in distress before simply changing the objective back to returning to the mother ship to get on with the campaign.

Anyway, mild regret has given way to genuine interest in exploring our solar system post cataclysm. Once you get out of the dull asteroid stations, the game world gets interesting. I'm beginning to think this was 4 bucks well spent.

Glad to hear you changed your mind, I just bought it. I always liked this style of game so it's gotta be worth $4 to me.

edit: Well, they need to optimize the shit out of this game. There is no way I should have to run this on Low to get a playable framerate.
    Last edited by Bleekill; 09-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.

I haven't seen many performance issues on my four-year-old machine, thankfully. In some instances the FR drops, but they've been rare.

I've been playing on easy, which tends to be entirely unchallenging. I'm fine with that, because I think the combat design is just too awful to facilitate taking on a challenge. As I mentioned, much of the difficulty comes from not being able to find enemies, not being able to see clearly which enemies are firing at you or differentiate enemy types, and not having room to maneuver, which gets especially annoying with three wingmen crowded around you in cramped corridors and tubes. I've also found that rockets are so plentiful--and the Gatling gun so crappy--that there's little reason not to just fire rockets at everything.

The game tends to provide you with more ship resources than you can carry, which is good, but it doesn't sort them well and seems to utilize them even more poorly. The cargo hold has 36 slots and is usually unnecessarily filled by partially used resources; the most-drained resources are not used up first. The indicators as to the state your ship are also kind of useless. Once you begin to see hull damage, it means you've exhausted repair pickups, which can happen rapidly and with very little indication--and you will likely die soon after. Essentially, the hull bar tells you nothing. A better indicator of your hull's state (and fuel, O2, etc.) are how many repair pickups you have in reserve, information you can't access at a glance, because resources aren't automatically sorted in any way. There are filter buttons for the cargo hold, but that's it. The order in which you pick them up is how they're sorted.

I thought trading was supposed to be a thing in this game, but I get the sense that it's pretty superficial. I have noticed that some resources you've mined in one system have different values in others, which is good--the fundamentals are there--but there's no way to know what system wants what, and no real indicator that you should be doing any trading at all. Aside from that, I tried once again to travel to a non-mission system, and when I arrived there was a position objective there waiting for me, but no audio or story about what that mission was. Still, I had to complete it before leaving the system (I blew something up).

So, open-world? Sandbox? Not obviously. Mining--the cool thing that differentiated this game from other space sims--appears to be almost wholly pointless. The story is good. The game world is well imagined. However, I get the feeling that 2081 is a sort of testbed for features that will be in the MMO, and not much of a game in its own right--unless you're looking for a 6DOF on rails with a bunch of non-usable features you can gawk at along the way.

Unfortunately, I've encountered a big snag: a mission in which you hijack a freighter and take control of the ship's turrets to defend it. It seems like it was made for co-op. I've tried it a dozen times, and I can't beat it. On easy. The long load times makes retrying arduous. If I were in my little mining vessel I could defeat these enemies without effort, but in the freighter, with four (?) huge turrets, it's awkward and hard, which I think speaks to the game's poor combat design.

I got enough entertainment out of the game to call the four bucks I spent a wash, but I wouldn't really recommend it at any price.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 10-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Network Hub
    seriously? this miner wars 2081 game only cost four bucks? The digit is not that much... interesting. :)

It was on sale. It's regularly $24.99, though I don't see that lasting.