Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    The PC port of DMC 3 is decent.

Rofl! It was one of the worst ports for pc.

This is still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    There's a captain america game on the Xbox 360 that I'd love to play. Apparantly it's like a not quite so good Arkham Asylum.

Also, let's ease off on the "JUST EMULATE" guys. It's illegal to emulate a game you don't own [or something legally grey and shifty] and we should really be supporting the games industry by paying for stuff rather then publicly trying to break laws [which could get RPS in trouble as it's on their forum]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Stuff like Croc, Crash Bandicoot and even Ico are most likely never going to get ported. Red Dead Redemption at this stage, is never going to get a look in. EA are not releasing Madden games on PC.

I would throw money hand over fist for some ports, but they're just not going to happen. Kingdom Hearts is one recent game I've emulated, after I copied my bios files from my ps2 and made an iso image of my copy of Kingdom Hearts. All of these things I own.

It's going to be a while before we can emulate modern hardware to a decent level, it's only been recent enough that PS2 emulators became reliable.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Jak 2 is probably closer to Assassin's Creed or Infamous (though it obviously drew a lot of GTA comparisons on release), not to mention hard as hell, and Jak 3 is a nice middle ground between the first game and the second.
    I may have to get the HD collection that was recently released. I genuinely loved Precursor Legacy, but the marketing campaign for Jak II suggested such a stark change in direction that I was really put off of the whole franchise. Might be worth a revisit.

Also, it's funny to replay old games and realize just how similar they are to modern titles that seemed to have rocked the world. Sly II and III are eerily similar to the Assassin's Creed games, right down to the pickpocketing. Yet they have better writing, despite being about cartoon animals! Plus, Bentley could kick Desmond's ass, and he's a wheelchair-bound turtle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    As mentioned before, Red Dead Redemption. Final Fantasy 13 is up there too, and all of the other Final Fantasies that never made it to our beloved PC master system. Fable 2, because it vexes me not having a complete series all on Steam. The Metal Gear Solids. Pikmin. Monster Hunter. Dark Chronicle. Killzone. The list goes on really. Many great games missing out on reams of PC sales for being console exclusives. Very poor marketing decision in the long term.
    FF13 was horrible.

Network Hub
    Things I'd like to see on PC:
    Obligatory Red Dead/Monster Hunter/Metal Gear.
    Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. The only other game in this niche is Cargo! Quest for Gravity.
    Little Big Planet 2. No game fills the hole, aside from Gmod, which is a fair bit different.
    Pokemons, or at least another collection/training/advancing game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I may have to get the HD collection that was recently released. I genuinely loved Precursor Legacy, but the marketing campaign for Jak II suggested such a stark change in direction that I was really put off of the whole franchise. Might be worth a revisit.
    I was thinking the same thing as I was typing that, and I've even bought and played them before. As much as I'm still annoyed that Sony neutered the PS3 of backwards compatibility, I do love the HD collections they put out. It's the closest the PS3 ever gets to a Steam sale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I had never played a Jak and Daxter game until I bought the HD collection a few months back. I LOVED the first game. I just about 100% it, which I hardly ever bother to do. It was just fun hunting down all the orbs and robot thingies. Then I moved on to II, which I really didn't care for at all. I'm not even sure if I'll ever go back to it. My once silent protagonist is now a wannabe badass, with dialogue that is cringe-inducing. The world is so gray and brown and boring, and having to fly a car around the hub city is just awful. I can't go more than 5 seconds without crashing into anything. Maybe I'll just skip straight to III.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Obscure Node
    Ratchet and Clank, says my nostalgia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    FF13 the first 20-30 hours is bad. Other than the battle system. Once it opens up its a lot better. Just a long journey there.

Need to replay Shadows of the Colossus on the PS3 Beat it on PS2, but the update has it at HD and steady 30fps. Just need to get around to it. (game itself is 12-16 hours, if first time and explore a bit.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    FF13 the first 20-30 hours is bad. Other than the battle system. Once it opens up its a lot better. Just a long journey there.
    This is really the absolute worst defense for a game ever. I know you didn't come up with it, but honestly. It's like when people tell me about tv shows that are "amazing, but you have to wait until the second season before it gets going" and then there's 14 hour long episodes of season one that's crap.

I don't have a day for something to get good! A game gets at most 4 hours to get good or it's outta here, and that's at a push.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I must be the only person in the world that enjoyed the battle system in FF13.

Banned
    We can only hope, for the sake of our species

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Ugh, I don't want to get into definitions of RPG but that's purposefully reductive. If you use a definition of RPG that broad, than half the games made are RPGs, which leads to an inability to use genre as an accurate descriptor. That's why it's more productive to use gameplay and camera angle as descriptors than genre. Baldur's Gate looks nothing like Skyrim. It plays nothing like Skyrim.

It's silly to compare L4D and Dead Nation, when there are games far closer to it on PC. There's Zombie Shooter 2 and Nation Red, All Zombies Must Die, or to a lesser extent Renegade Ops and Alien Swarm.

And blackjack is a card game before it is a gambling game. How often do people play roulette at home?
    It's quite a narrow definition of RPG actually and universally accepted. Your definition of genres is so narrow however as to render them useless. It's like someone taking offense at all houses being described as houses instead of going into detail on the minute details of the architectural touches and stylings.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I don't have a day for something to get good! A game gets at most 4 hours to get good or it's outta here, and that's at a push.
    You must not be a big fan of the RPG genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I must be the only person in the world that enjoyed the battle system in FF13.
    When John Walker reviewed Modern Warfare 3 he called it an-ungame, not because it's badly made but because it completely refuses to engage the player on any level. I feel FFXIII suffers from the same problem. There's hints of brilliance in its design, but the game is so afraid of letting you take charge that you're never able to fully enjoy them. XIII does everything it can to remove the player from the equation. It wasn't created by people who enjoy making games, but by people who really wanted to work in the film industry.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 04-12-2012 at 09:19 PM.

As it's not been mentioned here yet, Halo 3 single player campaign and co-op. I thought it was pretty great, enjoyed it as much as any megabudget AAA I've played on PC or elsewhere in recent years.

And I've always had a hankering to play the Uncharteds. But not enough to actually buy a PS3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    The game is so afraid of letting you take charge that you're never able to fully enjoy them. XIII does everything it can to remove the player from the equation.
    And believe me or not, this is where I disagree. Up to a certain point, it certainly feels/works this way; like all you have to do is mash "auto" and let it be done.
    But when you finally get the full party together, and specially after you FINALLY reach Gran Pulse (AKA the point at which the game becomes tolerable and decent and even enjoyable!!), properly setting the party, the classes and the formations, and deftly making calls after each "turn" as to what formation to switch to can make or break a battle, and if you go beyond into the extra, post-game content, you have to be extra careful about the commands you give to your character, and sometimes even break formation mid-turn.

TL;DR: It's a game that forces you to delve deeper into it's combat system the more you play, in my experience. Of course, most people don't reach that point because it takes 20 to 30 freaking hours.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I agree that the game actually gets decently challenging once you're a bit further in. There's even a few fights I genuinely enjoyed, particularly the one against Orphan. The problem I had is that even in those battles the combat system feels to limiting. You're granted a certain degree of freedom in your approach but your tactics can never be as varied as they were in some of the earlier FF games.

I have to admit though, I never bothered with the post-game content. It's completely possible that I missed out on some excellent fights, in which case I have no one to blame but myself. Well, and the developers who thought putting all the great parts at the very end of the game was a good idea.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post

Need to replay Shadows of the Colossus on the PS3 Beat it on PS2, but the update has it at HD and steady 30fps. Just need to get around to it. (game itself is 12-16 hours, if first time and explore a bit.)
    Are you kidding me? Once it opens up it becomes an mmo... with ! Quests and everything. Kill 5 japanese boars. I've been a ff fan since ff6 , 13 is the first one I couldn't stomach, such a crappy game, they even ruined the turn based combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Haha the first 30 hours are bad..Then what it picks up,but still wjo would want to wait 30 hours for game to open up,jeez.