Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I don't think that's really fair. There's a bunch of really good freeware titles - Warning Forever, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Hydorah, Kenta Cho's repertoire... The real issue is that they're ancient while the 360 is getting arcade perfect CAVE ports on a regular basis.
    I played Hydorah about 2/3 of the way through and then kept dying at regular intervals because I was too bored to pay attention. It had decent polish, just no game behind it - yet another game getting a pass from reviewers for being "indie", and also because so many people have never seen a good shooter.

Cho's Tumiki Fighters is the one PC native shooter I mentioned being head and shoulders above the rest on the platform. His other stuff is pretty much experimental minigames that are fun to check out once and need not be visited again.

Warning Forever didn't really grab me but it's decent quality and worth a try. Every Extend is pretty good. Cavanagh's Self Destruct is an odd duck since it's pretty good while not being made by a Japanese, and I think it was made in a game jam to boot. If memory serves, I made top 20 or so on the world scoreboard.

But even though some of those games are pretty nice, and commendable work from a bunch of guys working alone, if you take Tumiki out of the equation I'd trade all PC native shooters in existence for a single mediocre Cave shooter.
    Last edited by victory; 05-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I was thinking the same thing as I was typing that, and I've even bought and played them before. As much as I'm still annoyed that Sony neutered the PS3 of backwards compatibility, I do love the HD collections they put out. It's the closest the PS3 ever gets to a Steam sale.
    I'm genuinely impressed by Sony's commitment to value. I've only had my PS3 since last Christmas, and I wish I had known about some of the bundles that Sony would put out before I bought the games individually: InFamous, God of War (5 freakin' games!), Killzone, ThatGameCompany's output. I actually put the Assassin's Creed 2 Trilogy on my Christmas list, and there are some HD collections that I want to get (Splinter Cell is particularly tempting).

Honestly, if you don't mind the fact that the 360 typically gets slightly better versions of games and has a presumably larger online community, the PS3 is a great way to jump into the console side of things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    But even though some of those games are pretty nice, and commendable work from a bunch of guys working alone, if you take Tumiki out of the equation I'd trade all PC native shooters in existence for a single mediocre Cave shooter.
    Have you tried any paid shooters like Crimzon Clover or Hellsinker? I keep meaning to grab the demos but I'm not a huge bullet hell fan (though I do like Deathsmiles) and i usually end up playing Raiden or Rayforce when I want to play a shmup anyways.
    Last edited by sabrage; 05-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Network Hub
    Have you tried any paid shooters like Crimzon Clover or Hellsinker? I keep meaning to grab the demos but I'm not a huge bullet hell fan (though I do like Deathsmiles) and i usually end up playing Raiden or Rayforce when I want to play a shmup anyways.
    I don't have much in the way of paid PC shooters. I have picked up Jamestown and two Touhou titles, have only put maybe an hour into each. My impression of all of them was meh but for different reasons.

My collection is almost all bullet hell, and hilariously bloated relative to my meager skill at the games. Most of it is on 360.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Definitely Platinum Games titles. So sad they are stuck on the aging consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by rasatouche View Post
    Other thing PC is missing (but it's slowly eroding), is the barrier to entry. Sure you *can* build a $300 PC in a little box with an AMD APU that will look ok and *just* play dx9 games at 720p, but you really need to spend at least $500 to get something with a half decent GPU that you can stick under the telly. Then the interface still isn't up to par by default (as in, outside of steam & big picture, you're going to be reaching for a keyboard & mouse sometimes). MS & smart glass is kind of cool, but surely they can just make a basic remote app for windows, run it off vnc, and make it retard friendly, you'd convince more people of the HTPC for gaming idea. Sure I love shooters on my main rig, eyefinity just blows a TV away, but other times I just want to unwind on the couch & smash out some single player goodness, and consoles just do that TV experience better out of the box. Sure I've stuffed around with my phone, my windows UI, etc, to make it work fine on a TV so I never need a keyboard, mouse, or have to squint, but the stuffing around part is too much for a lot of people who just want to plug it in and have it work.
    Funny you should mention this. I've just finished setting up Media Center to act as a media/gaming frontend entirely controlled by a remote and xbox360 controller. On the game side, I have all my emulated titles and my non-steam/retail games accessible. I exit out of a game using the remote's back button, which returns me to the exact place I was in the frontend when I launched the game. If I need to play Steam games, I have a button that opens up Steam big picture on the remote. I switch back and forth between the two frontends when needed.

You should try gamebrowser II for Media Browser (or an equivalent on XBMC). Game directories are browse-able using a game controller or remote, and a single button exits the game and returns you to the frontend (the remote's back button in the case of gamebrowser)
    http://www.mashakos.com/pers/img/gam.../gameshome.jpg

you can set up any category you like. Here I have Wii, Dreamcast, PS2 and my retail/non steam PC games categories visible.
    http://www.mashakos.com/pers/img/gam...hots/gcats.jpg

game info and assets get retrieved automatically from the cloud
    http://www.mashakos.com/pers/img/gam...shots/gwii.jpg
    http://www.mashakos.com/pers/img/gam...ts/gmgsdet.jpg

and even multi-disc (or multi-mod) games automatically get a launcher window view!
    http://www.mashakos.com/pers/img/gam...ts/glaunch.jpg

Setting all this up did require quite a bit of tme: 3 weekends over a month period to organise everything and write a couple of utilities to help with a few things. The utils and configs I wrote are:
    DDDC Auto.Switch - switches windows games to Dolby Digital Live
    PCSX2nogui - Fixes a problem with PCSX2 where it doesn't close properly if run from the command line. My utility shuts it down properly after exiting. I'll be uploading this to my site soon.
    Custom PCSX2 and Dolphin configs for all Ps2, gamecube and wii titles
    Custom widescreen patches for most PS2 titles. Only exception I couldn't crack was SkyGunner. Wish I could find the hex values to allow for widescreen!!!
    customising Dolphin config so that it closes properly when alt+f4 is invoked
    PgP configs: I created 3 cycling configs for Pinnacle Game Profiler:
    "Plain" background config -> Media Center Config -> Wii Config
    I cycle through them using Rb + Lt + d-pad up on the xbox 360 controller. When I launch media center, the media center profile is automatically enabled so I can browse games with the controller with no fuss. A few additional "helper" buttons like alt+enter, alt+f4, esc, mouse control via the right analogue stick and backspace are included in the mce profile in addition to the standard browse/media buttons.

All in all, a very complicated process but doing away with the mouse and keyboard can be achieved on the PC.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen