Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

So what games are PC owners really 'missing out on' then...

I know, I know - we're all secret console/mobile lovers and we're not "missing out" on anything - but the public persona of many people here is "I'll die before I play a console or mobile game" and so we should fill them in on what's missing from their lives :)

For me, the PC would be a better thing with Forza Motorsport.

It's not quite the sim PC owners would like but Forza3/4 offered some of the best 'pure racing' entertainment I think I've ever had. The AI actually plays along, there's no obvious 'rubberbanding' (and the replay system gets you out of that anyway) and the game can be genuinely challenging (I'd argue that on the highest settings, it's VERY hard to beat, in fact).

Forza Horizon is rather different, but after playing a tonne of it today I'd easily recommend it too. It has a nice balance of stuff, the challenge is there (and can be dialled up/down as you see fit) - hell they even resisted the temptation to pack the game with traffic (games like Midnight Club 4, Burnout Paradise and NFS:MW get 90% of their challenge from expecting you to 'race' in actual traffic!!)).

So that's my donation to this - Forza - PC owners are missing out on it.

What else (let's see how long we can do this without someone mentioning Halo eh?) :)

Mandatory mention of Red Dead Redemption.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    LittleBigPlanet
    inFamous

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A ton of games for the wii (although that's a "you're missing it if you don't emulate"): Epic Yarn, Deadly Creatures, Galaxy (II), Okami, Endless Ocean, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Fragile Dreams, Little King's Story, and Xenoblade (that's on my list, but I hardly have money for the humble bundle let alone Xenoblade).

Of these, I would say the best have been Little King's Story, Endless Ocean II, and both Galaxies. The only platformer I've played better than Galaxy II was Mario 64. I've found Endless Ocean to be the most enjoyable exploration game I've ever played, more than Minecraft. And Little King's Story was one of the coolest, most unique games I've played.

Games I haven't played that I want to try on console are pretty much Once Upon a Monster, Brutal Legend, and RDR.

Personally, I've found that the rare console exclusives this gen (outside of the wii) have sounded really boring with a few rare exceptions.

It's important to differentiate between not available on PC and not available outside of emulation. With emulation the list of titles not on pc shrinks dramatically.
    Last edited by Internet; 03-12-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Banned
    As mentioned before, Red Dead Redemption. Final Fantasy 13 is up there too, and all of the other Final Fantasies that never made it to our beloved PC master system. Fable 2, because it vexes me not having a complete series all on Steam. The Metal Gear Solids. Pikmin. Monster Hunter. Dark Chronicle. Killzone. The list goes on really. Many great games missing out on reams of PC sales for being console exclusives. Very poor marketing decision in the long term.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Journey. Oh dear god, Journey, but it's a Sony exclusive, and I'll kill myself before I buy a PS3 for one measly game.

Japanese style good horror games. No, Resident Evil don't count as a good game. Or a horror game. Except for how horrible the story is and yet keeps trying to be taken seriously.

Rez HD and Child of Eden, may you find fortune in your university endeavors Tetsuya Mizuguchi, you magnificent bastard.

Almost anything and everything by Atlus and NIS. Give me Persona (or, hell, give me the whole Shin Megami Tensei series) and Disgaea and I'll marry my PC. Catherine wouldn't hurt either, though it could make the marriage a bit weird(er).

Platinum Games' games. I played and beat Bayonetta pirated one month before released. I then proceeded to shove money down my local retailer for a limited edition preorder, and proceeded to beat it once again with a legal copy.

Metroid. I personally hate Mario's guts with all my might (I grew up with SEGA, in case it wasn't obvious) and while I enjoy a good Zelda game I'm not that hooked to the saga. But I freaking love Metroid. Except Metroid Other M. That one should have never existed. Actually, make that "everything Retro Studios will ever release in the history of ever".

I could probably go on, but I refuse having to think about this. I think PC is the greatest platform without a doubt, but we are missing quite a bunch of interesting console exclusives, specially from Japanese developers.

Quirky little things that turn up on DS (among all the extremely casual titles and movie deals), like Contact and Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi. Possibly Professor Layton - I've not played it, but it looks like a puzzle game with heart.

Also, if you've never been a console player, the high points of the Zelda series.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    As mentioned before, Red Dead Redemption. Final Fantasy 13 is up there too, and all of the other Final Fantasies that never made it to our beloved PC master system. Fable 2, because it vexes me not having a complete series all on Steam. The Metal Gear Solids. Pikmin. Monster Hunter. Dark Chronicle. Killzone. The list goes on really. Many great games missing out on reams of PC sales for being console exclusives. Very poor marketing decision in the long term.
    Monster Hunter is on PC:
    http://monsterhunter.neoseeker.com/w...rontier%20(PC)

As is Metal Gear Solid:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/metal-gear-solid
    Last edited by Internet; 03-12-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I'm not playing a game in Japanese. For all intents and purposes "Monster Hunter Frontier Online", or "Monsutāhantā Furontia Onrain" in the only language it's available in, might as well not exist if you're not from the Land of the Rising Sun.

And no, not all of the Metal Gear Solids are on PC. They didn't even bother porting the remake of the original onto PC.
    Last edited by TheXand; 03-12-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Network Hub
    Basically all arcade games. Fighting games, shoot'em ups, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Shmups. Outside of Jamestown and that doujin shit (without circling back around to that "we're not missing anything with emulation" argument) options are pretty slim. There's plenty of shitty Gradius indie clones, but well-crafted shmups are far too few.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I imagine there are some good strategy games and RPGs on consoles but I don't really feel like I'm missing out on too much.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I imagine there are some good strategy games and RPGs on consoles but I don't really feel like I'm missing out on too much.
    I'm one of those unfortunate completists with a tendency to hoard :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Japanese style good horror games. No, Resident Evil don't count as a good game. Or a horror game. Except for how horrible the story is and yet keeps trying to be taken seriously.
    This is pretty much the biggest thing for me. Forbidden Siren, Fatal Frame, later Silent Hills (quality of which can be debated ad infinitum) and so forth.

Also, the tactical turn-based RPGs like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. Which is a bloody shame.

I bought a 360 extra for RDR. I played through it, then sold my 360 again. It was the only game that I would have missed out on. In hindsight I didn't like it too much gameplay-wise, but the atmosphere is amazing.

As for racing, I love sim-racing and the PC has it all IMHO. I mainly play LFS, netKar and GTR1. I wasn't impressed at all by the Forza4 demo or Forza2 which my brother gave me, nor when we play Forza3 on his 360. There is just something about the hardcore physics of PC racing-sims that makes it so rewarding.

That leaves me with the two GTAIII-Stories that were never released on PC (and I'm a huge GTA fan).
    I got a PSP because of the GTA-stories. (I travel by train alot). But I'm sure you can emulate the PSP soon.

Other than I think all current-gen console (exclusive) games suck.
    Which is why I refer to them as RDR-Players.
    Last edited by bad guy; 03-12-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    dragon's dogma atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Also, the tactical turn-based RPGs like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. Which is a bloody shame.
    Emulation is manna from heaven.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Are you high?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    dragon's dogma atm.
    I was buzzed about that from previews but the demo is utter drivel - is the game any better? It just felt like a slog-a-thon with a shabby combat system and not much else - but that's just from the demo...

Oh and RDR, erm - for me it's just GTA with the fun AND the cars AND the comedy radio stations removed and - erm - there's not much left for me after that tbh

If you want a 'grim Cowboy simulator' with some of the biggest pisstake "Oh you failed - ride for MILES to try again" moments ever tho, there's not much else.

It's the polar opposite of God Hand - in fact :)
    Last edited by trjp; 03-12-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Definitely fighting games. I really wish the latest Mortal Kombat was on PC. Those games are probably best suited for consoles but I would so buy Mortal Kombat if it was on PC. I don't own a console. I don't even have a reasonable television for it but I have a PC and I can plug in some controllers if needed. Not sure if there is a market for it on PC though. I remember earlier MK's were on PC but I don't think they were that popular, or were they?