Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Do console even have more realistic games ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I've always wanted to play ICO and Shadows of the Colossus. Plus the Uncharted series looks like my kind of thing and appeals to me a lot more than many of the blockbuster PC titles.

As for stuff I have played Okami, Zelda, Metroid and the Mario games are all great series.

The big thing PC misses for me is ease of playing some local multiplayer, that's what consoles are best at,
    It's what Nintendo are currently good at. It seems to me that outside of party games like Just Dance, there's very few multiplayer games on playstation and xbox that don't require one console per player. It might be an issue with the hardware, but remember when you could play four players on one copy of halo 3 (if you don't, you could). Halo 4 only supports two people on one console. Same is true with Gears of War and even Left 4 Dead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    The main thing that consoles have that the PC lacks are racing games with a large collection of up to date licensed cars like Gran Turismo and Forza - sadly both fall somewhat short with regards to the variety of tracks, but anyway. Games that strike a nice balance between the arcade and sim worlds. Those two series are the main reason I bought both consoles, and using the SteamSaleGuideline™ of about $1 for each hour of fun - they've been more than worth it.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Dunno how I forgot this...PATAPON!!! Brilliant game(s). Love to see it on me big monitor and watch the funky military stylings.

A ton of nintendo games, Journey, some PS3 exclusives.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I believe that game console is something rather obsolete, only useful while Japaneses were dominating the game industry, and Japaneses are known for very skeptical to PC technology. For 2 reasons: first, most Japaneses are damn patriotic and PC tech are mostly from the west; second, and more realistically, most Japaneses cannot afford decent PCs capable to run the games satisfactorily. Westerners may be surprised, but most Japaneses are not as wealthy as westerners do. Income inequality is a prevailing social problem in the east, and Japan is not immunized. While you can easily afford a i7 with 12GB ram and AMD HD7870 (just an example) machine, most Japanese youths cannot. That is the truth behind Japaneses' tendency towards cheaper gaming alternatives like Playstation.
    You could buy a reasonable gaming PC for the cost of the Playstation 3 around when it came out. Factoring in cost of games, peripherals and possible online service, PCs can easily tie or beat consoles in cost.

Where do you draw your assertions about Japan, exactly?
    The median Japanese income is in line with us Europeans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income
    Based on Gini index they have more equal income distribution than e.g. Italy, Portugal, UK and US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._and_transfers
    One issue though, with most if not all PC gamers require Direct X to run, is PC really an open gaming platform as we perceive it to be?
    Errr, yes it is? You have to have Windows to play Windows games. That doesn't make the platform "not open"; Microsoft has no say in what games you can publish or buy or play. Devs can migrate to other frameworks and platforms at any time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've always wanted to play ICO and Shadows of the Colossus. Plus the Uncharted series looks like my kind of thing and appeals to me a lot more than many of the blockbuster PC titles.

As for stuff I have played Okami, Zelda, Metroid and the Mario games are all great series.

The big thing PC misses for me is ease of playing some local multiplayer, that's what consoles are best at,
    I played Uncharted for a bit at a friend's house and found it to be absolutely negligible. It played like an action movie with some shootey bits. Ho Hum.

Banned
    Oo I must also add the PS3's Dead Nation. Stupidly fun single player and amazing in co-op, the best zombie shootin game ever created. Much better than valve's Bored2Death.

Haha you are seriously comparing that to L4D :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I played Uncharted for a bit at a friend's house and found it to be absolutely negligible. It played like an action movie with some shootey bits. Ho Hum.
    Sometimes I quite enjoy an action movie with shooty bits! I enjoyed playing the first one taking turns with my old housemates and enjoyed it in much the same way as I enjoy watching a Die Hard film. Perhaps not essential (which I guess was the point of the topic) but certain;y good fun and as such I feel like I'm missing out slightly. Can't speak for the sequels though and the third certainly seemed to get a more lukewarm response.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Haha you are seriously comparing that to L4D :D
    Yup because its way more fun and I don't worship Valve.

It's got far more in the way of gameplay and mechanics than Counterstrike: Zombies edition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I love every game you've mentioned there. You have excellent taste in games.

Also, someone mentioned Infamous. I remember thinking it looked horrible when it came out, and that everyone praising it wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass. Part of me wondered if I was just hating on it because I didn't own a PS3. Fast forward a few years and I now have a PS3. The Playstation Network has been hacked, and as an "Our bad", Sony offers everyone free games. I chose a free copy of Infamous. It's awful. I've tried to play it 3 different times, and each time I get bored to tears within an hour. Turns out I was right.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Sony's first party output is surprisingly strong: Sly Cooper, InFamous, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted, and probably more that I'm forgetting. Not all of those are great (I particularly think Uncharted is overrated, although it is incredibly good-looking) but there's a lot of high quality stuff in there. If you want a console to supplement your PC, I recommend the PS3 just for their exclusives.

On more wide-ranging console exclusives, Devil May Cry 3 (speaking specifically about the recent, well-done HD update here), Red Dead Redemption, and Okami all come to mind. I'd also like to give a shout out to the underrated Red Steel 2, the only game I've ever played that really justified motion control and which I enjoyed so much I actually played to the point that I made my arm sore.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    HALO But its too late now. All the great ideas Halo used are so woven into every other FPS, it would never feel as radical. Thus the PC babies would complain some more.
    Halo eventually received a Windows port, didn't it?

A lot of good games have already been mentioned. I'd like to add the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night and Portrait of Ruin in particular. I really enjoy their combination of exploration, platforming, action and RPG elements.

In general, the PC is somewhat lacking in good platformers. No Yoshi's Island, no Super Metroid and no Donkey Kong Country 2. We did get some great releases in the last few years though, namely Rayman: Origins and VVVVVV.

Of course, if you're willing to consider emulation, then there's very little PC gamers actually miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I love every game you've mentioned there. You have excellent taste in games.

Also, someone mentioned Infamous. I remember thinking it looked horrible when it came out, and that everyone praising it wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the ass. Part of me wondered if I was just hating on it because I didn't own a PS3. Fast forward a few years and I now have a PS3. The Playstation Network has been hacked, and as an "Our bad", Sony offers everyone free games. I chose a free copy of Infamous. It's awful. I've tried to play it 3 different times, and each time I get bored to tears within an hour. Turns out I was right.
    Hmmmm..... I disagree strongly with you about InFamous. To be fair, though, it does features a lot of padding in the side missions and the story isn't told very well (unless you think endless narration over static images is how a videogame story should be told, to say nothing of how it doesn't really explain the rather-important concept of Conduits at all). I think it works better when viewed in conjunction with the superior InFamous 2 (which should really be called InFamous, Part 2). Also, the story is much more satisfying if you play it Heroically rather than Infamously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

A lot of good games have already been mentioned. I'd like to add the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night and Portrait of Ruin in particular. I really enjoy their combination of exploration, platforming, action and RPG elements.

In general, the PC is somewhat lacking in good platformers. No Yoshi's Island, no Super Metroid and no Donkey Kong Country 2. We did get some great releases in the last few years though, namely Rayman: Origins and VVVVVV.

Of course, if you're willing to consider emulation, then there's very little PC gamers actually miss out on.
    I would say that platformers is one area where the PC is rapidly improving, and it only gets second best because Nintendo just makes great platformers. Even a mediocre Nintendo platformer like NSMB is fun, well-designed, and has a cool aesthetic; so not really mediocre at all. Braid, Bit Trip, Give Up Robot, And Yet It Moves, Cave Story, 1000 amps are just some of my favorites on PC. There's more, lots more.

Oo I must also add the PS3's Dead Nation. Stupidly fun single player and amazing in co-op, the best zombie shootin game ever created. Much better than valve's Bored2Death.
    It's not the same genre, so you're comparing Apples and Elephants. Lego Star Wars is closer to that than Left 4 Dead.
    Last edited by Internet; 03-12-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Network Hub
    VVVVVV is in no way a great platformer. I hesitate to call it a platformer at all, since there's no joy of moving and controlling the character. At its core it's an exploration game with very easy puzzle flavor (never had to stop and think), and every instance of "platforming" you do is a rather pure and straightforward timing minigame that lasts a couple of seconds max.

Definitely agree, although games with strong platforming elements, such as Darksiders (especially DSII) and the Prince of Persias, have appeared.

To be fair, not a lot of pure platformers seem to get much push outside of Nintendo. Sony has a lot of platformers (Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank) but Sly is overall more of an Assassin's Creed style action-adventure franchise, Ratchet and Clank is as much about the weapons as the jumping, if not more, and after Precursor Legacy the Jak franchise seemed to move closer to Ratchet and Clank territory (at least as it seemed; the shift was offputting enough in the marketing I didn't play Jak II or III).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    To be fair, not a lot of pure platformers seem to get much push outside of Nintendo. Sony has a lot of platformers (Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank) but Sly is overall more of an Assassin's Creed style action-adventure franchise, Ratchet and Clank is as much about the weapons as the jumping, if not more, and after Precursor Legacy the Jak franchise seemed to move closer to Ratchet and Clank territory (at least as it seemed; the shift was offputting enough in the marketing I didn't play Jak II or III).
    Jak 2 is probably closer to Assassin's Creed or Infamous (though it obviously drew a lot of GTA comparisons on release), not to mention hard as hell, and Jak 3 is a nice middle ground between the first game and the second.

Yup because its way more fun and I don't worship Valve.

It's got far more in the way of gameplay and mechanics than Counterstrike: Zombies edition.

Nice generalizing men,i do not worship valve its just L4D2 is really fun coop game. It looks good as well.