Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 145
  1. #121
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,267
    Xenoblade Chronicles right away allows you to explore (to an extent until you advance the story). But each new area is open and you spend a few hours checking the area out. Also has a great combat system.

    I did not might the first part FF13 as much as others, but I was noting there is light at the end of the tunnel for people that can't get over the first segment.

    Star Trek TNG took until 3rd seasons to be great, with a few gem of a episodes. Just how some TV shows start off. And they will lose viewers if the start sucks, but hopefully they come back if/when it comes good.

    Now we have Firefly which was brilliant from the start and... yah. /cry

    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I must be the only person in the world that enjoyed the battle system in FF13.
    Missed me by 2 minutes. :P

  2. #122
    I feel missing out when it comes to turn based combat RPG, like the old SSI gold box games.

    On a happier note, there have been a few new indie projects in that direction, especially this one (runs for 4 more days, already funded and short only $ 500 of the next stretch goal at teh time of this writing):

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ceblink-engine
    Here's what Jeremy alias slowdive (part of the developing team) has to say about it:

    "IceBlink Engine Overview
    This project will develop a Role Playing Game (RPG) 2D engine and toolset as well as a demo adventure game module created with the toolset. The game is inspired by a few of my favorite games; The Bard’s Tale, SSI Gold Box series games, Baldur’s Gate, and Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2). The intent is to create a game engine that results in a virtual table top, Pen and Paper type feel in a single player computer game. The game engine will be free once completed, but the toolset will initially only be available to backers of this Kickstarter project. The toolset will allow anyone to create their own adventures to share with the rest of us. Please help us complete this wonderful project. We really appreciate any support you have to offer. Thanks again!"

    Perhaps you would like to check it out - fills a missing aspect of PC gaming for me.

  3. #123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Why, because I like arcade games?
    Because pretty-much every actual 'arcade game' ever made can be played on a PC thanks to Emulation - that and the fact that the PC probably has more Shmups than any other platform (in fact that's not even remotely a "probably"), we're upto our ears in them!?!?

  4. #124
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,638
    The EA boxing games would be nice to have on PC. They're really well done.

  5. #125
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    that and the fact that the PC probably has more Shmups than any other platform (in fact that's not even remotely a "probably"), we're upto our ears in them!?!?
    That's exactly the problem. Shitty doujin shmups are a dime a dozen, while the 360 is getting the gross majority of the ones that are actually worth fucking playing.

  6. #126
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    I'd like to see Phantom Rush and Dust: An Elysian Tail' and Fez myself, not holding my breath through

  7. #127
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Because pretty-much every actual 'arcade game' ever made can be played on a PC thanks to Emulation
    I have this weird habit of paying developers for the enjoyment I get out of their games. If you think that is sufficient reason to inquire whether I'm high, you have a shitty attitude.

    Mind you, I don't complain when others pirate stuff, and I'm happy to use emulation myself to play stuff that isn't for sale. Also when emulation is necessary for superior quality. But plenty of arcade games are available as high quality ports on consoles, and those I buy.

    You are wrong about the availability. How many arcade games published within - say - last seven years can you play with emulation? I think not many.
    - that and the fact that the PC probably has more Shmups than any other platform (in fact that's not even remotely a "probably"), we're upto our ears in them!?!?
    In my experience, PC native shooters are completely worthless compared to arcade games. There's one I personally really like and would nearly put in my top 10, but it is an indie and objectively speaking a rather crude effort. Console-first shooters are generally nothing to write home about, but there it's still easy to find at least a number of decent and good ones, which is more than PC can manage.

  8. #128
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,669
    You can use an emulator with a legitimate copy of a game, you know...
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  9. #129
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    How many arcade games published within - say - last seven years can you play with emulation? I think not many.
    That's because none have been published since the mid nineties when the arcades finally died. There's a lingering persistent element which continues, granted, but we're hoping a swift exorcism will put paid to that abomination.

  10. #130
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,690
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Haha the first 30 hours are bad..Then what it picks up,but still wjo would want to wait 30 hours for game to open up,jeez.
    Some things in life require an investment before they good. There's no reason games should be one of them - that's bad design. But I'm wary of dismissing games that end up like that, just for that reason.

  11. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Out of curiosity, once you invest that 14 hours into FF13 at which point it becomes - purely mechanically, because I doubt they suddenly replace the entire cast of retarded characters - bearable, how many hours there's actually left?

  12. #132
    Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Rofl! It was one of the worst ports for pc.
    The first patch fixed the controller and resolution issues. If you think it's the worst port ever made for PC then you've obviously not played many ports.

  13. #133
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Even a mediocre Nintendo platformer like NSMB is fun, well-designed, and has a cool aesthetic; so not really mediocre at all.
    Got NSMB on the DS. It's a real fight to actually play it when I load it up. Mechanically it's flawed, too. I can only save after certain levels? What the hell is up with that?? I want to save manually, thank you. The whole game feels uninspired and bland. Now, if you want Mario Galaxy to come to the PC, that I have no qualms with. Dolphin has already proven it can look fantastic and it, even if it's not difficult, at least has some creativity to it. I appreciate this is a lot for one specific game, but perhaps it speaks of my disappointment from Nintendo for realising something like that.

    I generally agree though. I'm glad we're getting more platformers and games with platforming elements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Star Trek TNG took until 3rd seasons to be great, with a few gem of a episodes. Just how some TV shows start off. And they will lose viewers if the start sucks, but hopefully they come back if/when it comes good.
    Except that obviously if you then decide you want to watch it, as you point out, you can quite easily go and watch the good episodes and catch up from when it starts getting good. The problem with games then is, naturally, even if a game gets good, you still have to wade through the mud. Be it bad pacing, game design or whatever. Even if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'd say the tunnel has to be much shorter, or the light much brighter, in a game over a TV show.

    Anyhow, looking over the thread there's a few games I agree with wanting to see. The likes of Bayonetta, Pokémon, Mortal Kombat, Halo (the rest of the series) amongst others. I'd also offer up WipEout, a game with already fantastic visuals that would look amazing on the PC, not to mention there are seldom those type of racing games anyhow, let alone on the PC.

    For the most part, it's genres I'm more interested in seeing. The likes of action-adventures, arcade racers (someone mentioned kart racers or Mario Kart? I'm led to believe the Sega effort currently available on Steam is good, whilst the new one just released has been to very favourable reviews) and fight'em'ups. Whilst there may be some excellent games on the consoles, I feel that we tend to have a lot of the genres covered. It's a particular shame though that, as far as I'm aware, we don't really have any action-adventure titles in the vein of Zelda on the PC, excluding Darksiders.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  14. #134
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Out of curiosity, once you invest that 14 hours into FF13 at which point it becomes - purely mechanically, because I doubt they suddenly replace the entire cast of retarded characters - bearable, how many hours there's actually left?
    Depends on how much sidetracking you wanna do, since it's the point where it finally somewhat opens up, but if you go straight to the story bosses and all that, I'd say... between areas, bosses and cutscenes, about maybe 11-12h?

  15. #135
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Depends on how much sidetracking you wanna do, since it's the point where it finally somewhat opens up, but if you go straight to the story bosses and all that, I'd say... between areas, bosses and cutscenes, about maybe 11-12h?
    I spent longer in Gran Pulse doing sidequests and stuff than the rest of the game put together. At least 40 hours in there.

  16. #136
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    As far as I'm aware, we don't really have any action-adventure titles in the vein of Zelda on the PC, excluding Darksiders.
    Well, that depends on which Zelda you're talking about. It's really hard to list what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game, especially since the series has changed a lot. Dink Smallwood and Aquaria are similar to the old ones. Recettear in the dungeon parts. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil are somewhat similar to the new ones. Binding of Isaac has a somewhat similar playstyle to the old ones. Maybe the new Ys games?

    I don't think there were ever that many games like Zelda. Even on other systems I can only think of 3d dot heroes, terranigma, brain lord, and (sort of) sdk3.
    Last edited by Internet; 05-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.

  17. #137
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Please tell me you're not lying? The 2K series of NFL games was so much better than EA's Madden that I just kept playing 2k4 for a few years after EA got the exclusive license.
    I don't know all of the details, but I got an email from a lawyer (part of the newer class-action against EA...not the settlement from this summer) and in the email they state EA has agreed not to seek exclusive licenses for five years. (It actually says AFL license, but surely that's a typo or legalese for NFL?)

  18. #138
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    In my experience, PC native shooters are completely worthless compared to arcade games. There's one I personally really like and would nearly put in my top 10, but it is an indie and objectively speaking a rather crude effort. Console-first shooters are generally nothing to write home about, but there it's still easy to find at least a number of decent and good ones, which is more than PC can manage.
    I don't think that's really fair. There's a bunch of really good freeware titles - Warning Forever, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Hydorah, Kenta Cho's repertoire... The real issue is that they're ancient while the 360 is getting arcade perfect CAVE ports on a regular basis.

  19. #139
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Well, that depends on which Zelda you're talking about. It's really hard to list what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game // Aquaria are similar to the old ones. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil are somewhat similar to the new ones. // Binding of Isaac has a somewhat similar playstyle to the old ones. //
    I don't think there were ever that many games like Zelda. Even on other systems I can only think of 3d dot heroes, terranigma, brain lord, and (sort of) sdk3.
    Oh there's definitely a difference between the 2D/3D stuff, but my point (and particular emphasis with use of vein) was more the feel of it. I agree entirely there aren't that many games in that feel on any platform and that is a problem. As for the other games you mention, I got put off Aquaria too quickly to mark any identifiable similarities and I'd say Psychonauts lacking the exploration element (you can explore, but it's very guided. There's very little openness, although the game doesn't play this up and it's not to its detriment). I think you may be right about BG&E though. That is certainly a lot closer to the feel of 3D Zelda. BoI takes homage in the style, but it's not at all like 2D Zelda.

    It's a hard one and I think we are seeing more action-adventure titles - Assassin's Creed, whilst not being what I really want, certainly fits in there well, I reckon.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  20. #140
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,559
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Oh there's definitely a difference between the 2D/3D stuff, but my point (and particular emphasis with use of vein) was more the feel of it. I agree entirely there aren't that many games in that feel on any platform and that is a problem. As for the other games you mention, I got put off Aquaria too quickly to mark any identifiable similarities and I'd say Psychonauts lacking the exploration element (you can explore, but it's very guided. There's very little openness, although the game doesn't play this up and it's not to its detriment). I think you may be right about BG&E though. That is certainly a lot closer to the feel of 3D Zelda. BoI takes homage in the style, but it's not at all like 2D Zelda.

    It's a hard one and I think we are seeing more action-adventure titles - Assassin's Creed, whilst not being what I really want, certainly fits in there well, I reckon.
    Dink Smallwood is by far the closest to an old zelda game. And Aquaria opens up a lot after the (3rd?) dungeon. You get to a huge center area and exploration becomes more meaningful. Most Zelda games are surprisingly linear, but the makers masterfully provide the illusion of free exploration with minigames that makes it worthwhile. I'd say this is where Darksiders failed the most. Too little of the game was open world, too much was dungeon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •