Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

EA Releases Crysis 3 Specs

EEEEEEEPPPPPP....

First, the minimum specifications: to play the game at all without it degenerating into a slideshow of pretty snapshots, you'll need a DirectX 11-capable graphics card with at least 1GB of video RAM such as the Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 or the AMD Radeon HD 5770, a dual-core CPU of equal or better performance than Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD's Athlon64 X2 5200+ and at least 2GB of memory. Those gaming on Vista, rather than Windows 7 or 8, will need to have at least 3GB, EA recommends.

If you'd like things to look a little prettier, the recommended specifications bump things up to 4GB of RAM, a quad-core chip of Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 equivalence, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 5870 or better. Finally, if you want to really push the boat out and turn the graphic settings up high, you'll need 8GB of RAM, an Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX 4150 or better, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 or better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    a quad-core chip of Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 equivalence
    That's a bit confusing since those are dual cores.

Ah, whatever. It's nice to see a game that actually pushes things forward noticeably.

Also lolwut at recommending a Core i7-2600K or AMD FX 4150 for maxed-out settings. Did they mean AMD FX 8150 or are they just derping around? It's like recommending either a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Skoda Fabia.

Network Hub
    I guess I can run it in medium. But I do hope the gap between low - medium - high is worth these specs.

Nah, we need a GTX 680 just so we can tessellate the f-word out of the hidden sea beneath the streets of New York. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Nah, we need a GTX 680 just so we can tessellate the f-word out of the hidden sea beneath the streets of New York. :P
    We can tesselate the f-word out of the holes in the asphalt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Wow, Crysis reclaims the throne of king of spec req.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Heh, Hi-Performance. Basically a top end PC before you get to absurd pricing.

My old PC meet the specs other than video card (which was upgraded for a easy $140 to a 7780). E8550 Wolfdale, 4GB RAM.
    The problem I always ran into was I wanted to be at my max resolution (or at least decent). I would not want to play this at 800x600 or 1280x780. It could run, but look like crap.

Other than the DX11 requirement, the specs are not so bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The min spec isn't exactly terrifying - I meet it so it's definately not terrifying :)

Not that I care 1 jot about Crysis but even the recommended spec - when you hack through it - isn't exactly demanding much.

Not that the people who buy the best and overclock it to bits need an excuse to do that anymore - once upon a time they might have but not it's just about the benchmarks innit? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Other than the DX11 requirement, the specs are not so bad.
    Even DX11 requirement isn't so bad. DX11 cards have been available for a good long while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Crysis just goes to prove that the graphics shader e-peen love is still alive and well in the PC sector. People get all excited about the specs but what's the actual game going to be like?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Console-sized textures. Calling it.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Console-sized textures. Calling it.
    That would be naughty, considering the 1 GB VRAM minimum. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    To this day, Crysis the First from 2007 won't run with all graphics set to very high, 8x AA at 1680x1050 with a GTX 680, 8GB RAM and a 2500K. Why is it impressive that Crysis 3 won't either?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    To this day, Crysis the First from 2007 won't run with all graphics set to very high, 8x AA at 1680x1050 with a GTX 680, 8GB RAM and a 2500K. Why is it impressive that Crysis 3 won't either?
    Because Crysis 2 brought "Optimization" to us.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Apart from the i7 (because everyone bought the i5) and the GTX680, the high specs don't seem that drastic. Most intel chip owners buy the i5 and 8gb of ram is fairly common and fairly cheap now. If anything, it's only the graphics card that seems scary and as someone else said, DX11 has been available for a while now.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    The min spec isn't exactly terrifying - I meet it so it's definately not terrifying :)

Not that I care 1 jot about Crysis but even the recommended spec - when you hack through it - isn't exactly demanding much.

Not that the people who buy the best and overclock it to bits need an excuse to do that anymore - once upon a time they might have but not it's just about the benchmarks innit? :)
    No, it's about deferred rendering being flawed and the only way to get acceptable image quality in any game using such an engine is to brute force it through SSAA, which needs a monster GPU.

I have a 6870 which is barely a mid range card (gtx 680 is twice as fast) and while it's fine for playing games I have to deal with a ton of jaggies in every game. Fxaa is a stillbirth that flopped out of the unholy union of deferred shaders, just a useless glorified blur filter that softens and blurs the image to the point where you wonder if you need glasses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Apart from the i7 (because everyone bought the i5) and the GTX680, the high specs don't seem that drastic. Most intel chip owners buy the i5 and 8gb of ram is fairly common and fairly cheap now. If anything, it's only the graphics card that seems scary and as someone else said, DX11 has been available for a while now.
    I built my Core 2 Duo (E8500) PC in July 2008, 4GB ram. Fall of 2009 is when the first DX 11 cards were out. That machine now has a newer card that was $130. 4870 > 6850. The point I am getting at is when Core 2 Duos were the best and people built/purchased their machines, they would not have DX11. But every other spec they would qualify for.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ Over 50% now have DX11. Good penetration for being around for 3 years and little games using it. Even games such as WoW can use DX11 for performance gains.

After Crysis 2 and going cross platform, its interesting them going DX11 only on PC while the console versions are on Direct 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    4870 > 6850.
    It's the other way around, actually, unless you mean the 4870 x2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    > in this sense used as a indication of movement, transition,upgrade. I went from a 4870 to (>) 6850 in my old machine. My fault for not being as clear. :)

Ohh. I think I mistook you for one of the new-hardware haters, sorry.