Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Nanite of The Living Dead: 30th October 2013

Halloween is approaching and it could be fun to do the Zombie Invasion again, this time hopefully with the support of SOE/Pro7.

So anyone wanna help do this? I am happy to lead this one, but I'll need Generals in the form of Zombie Leaders, as many as possible. Could be fun. Yeah we've done it before, but it was a hit and it does fit with the time of year. There are potentially prizes for participants, just gotta iron out the details. Put your names/discussions down here!

Leader Doc: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Manifesto.pdf
    Last edited by Dewi; 29-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quite surprised you're going forward with that.

As i said before :
    - According to current outfit attendance, we will have trouble finding staff needed for this to happen + people to fill up the zombies rank (we will get outside people of course, but having a core group of zombies is needed for kickstarting + maintaining some common behaviors/rules in zombies). I estimate that staff should be at least 10, probably more. Last time we did it with 6 zombie leaders + 2 cameraman who were in the command channel and provived useful feedback. And it was a mess.
    - I'm not comfortable that ProSieben will be implicated in that. It's one thing if a fellow Miller player tell you to play zombie, it might be different if it's perceived that ProSieben asks you to do it.

Dunno what others think...I'm the most pessimistic guy in the outfit, so maybe more will agree with you than me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I still have my ZombieLeader2 character, so why not dust it off and go for another undead run! Although a repeat of the success from last time seems like a daunting goal, this could potentially be very fun.

Remember the lessons from last time:
    - Get all zombies to the same place for maximum effect and fun.
    - Galaxy ferrying was ineffective and possibly detrimental for the fun of some zombies due to waiting times. Also, resources and cooldowns quickly became an issue.
    - Do lots of rushes on foot over terrain, this is were massive numbers shine the most.
    - Avoid locations with very large numbers of dug in and prepared survivors, especially when combined with choke points (e.g. bio labs).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    I don't have any opposition logistically though these are valid concerns. Mine is purely a worry about living up to the original. Part of the charm of last time was it really came out of nowhere and it was OK for there to be rough edges. Also, it was only ksempac/RPS reputation on the line if things went wrong, if it was a massive trollfest or clusterfuck and SOE were implicated it could be bad PR.

I'm wondering if we could do something similar that would require less hassle but potentially be as fun to do. Some sort of monster hunt, could be zombie though vampire would probably work better for these parameters. A certain number of us go roll characters with names like RPSVAMPIREONE or suchlike. We advertise the presence of all of these characters with similar names on reddit, and specify zones/bases where they are likely to appear in the evening. Maybe stick to otherwise quiet, smaller bases to avoid messing with big Biolab or Tech Plant fights. Each person who is designated one of these characters keeps track of who they get killed by, we could maybe add another qualifier to weed out accidents such as having the killer /w "I killed the vampire" or whatever. Whoever has the most confirmed kills wins a bag of crack or whatever PS goes with.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. Seems just as frantic as a zombie night but with more elements under our control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Vampire - Infiltrator
    Harpy - Light Assault
    Werewolf - MAX

Any others?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wouldn't want to be too pessimistic about Dewi's proposal. As people point out, we were pretty unprepared for the original and there were a lot of rough edges, but the community was all over it. So long as our expectations aren't too high we could probably do a much better job than before. It just depends on the community getting involved again. Imo the halloween theme warrants the return of this event.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Maybe we should switch around Empires? Kinda dislike giving TR another night to farm certs.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Wouldn't want to be too pessimistic about Dewi's proposal. As people point out, we were pretty unprepared for the original and there were a lot of rough edges, but the community was all over it. So long as our expectations aren't too high we could probably do a much better job than before. It just depends on the community getting involved again. Imo the halloween theme warrants the return of this event.
    we should have semi-official backing on this one. Just working out the details. hoping to have stuff up on the launcher etc, but we shall see.

Ill know more once we have volunteers, so get your names down people!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Do not underestimate how close we were to total disaster last time.

You weren't in the command Mumble chat. It was so bad, that to this day, even when people tell me it was a success, i can understand with the "brain", but in my heart I don't feel "success". I watched some Youtube videos of the event just to try to understand how people had fun when I was scrambling for 2h to try to save the whole thing.

So yes, we learned some lessons, but people's expectations and attendance will probably be higher, due to the first success. So if we go ahead with this, we will have to be prepared, a lot more prepared than we were the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Maybe we should switch around Empires? Kinda dislike giving TR another night to farm certs.
    For a zombies events, we could play NC, but not TR. Playing with the TR overpopped zerg is not a good idea . First because it will add to the existing problems of the VS and NC, and second because it would be an hindrance to the event. The higher the "zombies/faction pop" ratio, the better people will follow / join the game. If our zombies are drawn into a massive TR zerg that make their effect less noticeable, the event will be less followed/rules will be broken.
    By comparison, giving a few certs to Daddy and the others BR100 that farmed us last time doesn't bother me much...Theses guys will never join us anyways.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 05-10-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agree about doing it NC. Prospectively volunteering the services of ZombieLeader4, so long as I can make it.

If I'm free on the given night, I'll happily ZombieLead. It was mostly a gal transport role, if I remember rightly?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    I like Jags suggestion of going for something different, rather than a repeat performance. Certainly makes for something new and interesting to watch!

His idea isnt half bad either.... Certainly would give us a way to score and give prizes...
    I see no idea how to give prizes in the zombie madness....

As I suggested in the other thread, some kind of team based game would be good fun, hence why I suggested a game of bulldog on an open flat of land.

Id be much more interested in seeing something new, rather than a rehashing of an old idea. I can also imagine that our 'audience' would also rather see something new and interesting.

Something that deals with these prizes is necessary, so that, as jag said "Whoever has the most confirmed kills wins a bag of crack". :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    You weren't in the command Mumble chat. It was so bad, that to this day, even when people tell me it was a success, i can understand with the "brain", but in my heart I don't feel "success". I watched some Youtube videos of the event just to try to understand how people had fun when I was scrambling for 2h to try to save the whole thing.
    Pretty sure I was in command chat (unless there was a separate command group from the Zombieleaders?). The whole thing was utter chaos because we didn't expect the numbers and had no idea how to best coordinate the masses of people, you were pretty much making it up as you went along. But it was incredibly successful!

The key with a repeat I think would be for Zombieleaders to lead separate platoons, maximising the amount of slots for zombies, and as LaKroy says abandon the gal-drop technique, instead going for foot-zergs with leaders perhaps pulling sundies/securing spawn points. The Supreme Zombie Giraffe's job would ideally just be listening to reports from ZLs and coordinating the zerg(s) to avoid organised resistance.

Anyway, if there isn't enough enthusiasm to repeat the idea I'm not going to try to push for it. But it did manage to capture the mad magic of the zerg particularly well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Call on TVA to help support this.

Get decent TVA leaders into our Mumble and have them on board. I can think of a fair few names who would probably be up for this and enter into it in the spirit it is intended. We should do our best to ensure a decent level of leadership & support.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I understand people wanting to do something different but I have been asked to do this specifically. I'm just waiting on some more details before I start getting the ball rolling but we should be able build on last time. I will get onto TVA forums once I know a little more if there are not enough people in RPS who would be interested. I have plans that I can't really put onto an open forum if what I want goes ahdead, but we'll see!

OK, so just had a little chat with Pete from Pro7. We may have gotten a little carried away but we are actually quite excited about the potential for this. Don't wanna say too much but we're really gonna need more volunteers. Maybe not just for things in game. We shall see! I'll let you know more when things are concrete!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Maybe not just for things in game.
    ??

Yes, more info please.

I'll let you know more when things are concrete!
    Need to wait for the guys to come back to me!

Need to wait for the guys to come back to me!
    But I dont want to wait :'(

Happy to make a return with a Zombieleader, the only thing stopping me last time was my piloting ability.