Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Something that may also work for you, especially if there aren't too many people playing, is joining the mumble channel when you're online and then typing a message asking for an invite. Hi my mic doesn't work, please invite me to the outfit.
    That colourblindness must make this game incredibly annoying to play - although hopefully if you just aim for the ones without giraffe camouflage we can slowly move the entire Vanu team towards an awesome uniform.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Stargazer View Post
    3. I'm colourblind so the difference between squad member colours and enemy colours can be a pain in the arse if I'm not concentrating.
    Don't worry man, with the stupid camo patterns they have in this game, we all suffer from shooting our own dudes. There's certin patterns for Vanu that make them look like NC and TR.

Isn't that the giraffe camo? It's the opposite of camouflage in nearly every environment we fight in, and it gets us regularly fired on by our own side as it slightly resembles enemy uniforms and they're trigger happy twitch gamers in the throes of caffeine psychosis - in other words it looks silly and actively hinders our effectiveness, which makes it terribly right for RPS.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    silly and actively hinder[ed] effectiveness.
    That's the Fightin' Gee-Raffs motto

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Stargazer View Post
    I can't get my mic working at all for some reason (I've got one of those Creative USB headsets).
    I've had the same problem with a Logitech, bizarrely some that are advertised as Win7 compatible just aren't, at all. Try for a refund.
    Last edited by Tom OBedlam; 04-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    There's certin patterns for Vanu that make them look like NC and TR.
    That's true camouflage, also gee-raffs have those freaky snake like tongues.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I'm fekkin stupid. It's been a long time since I used my headset... I forgot that there was a volume control and mute button on the cable

So do I need to get the Giraffe camo? I must admit it does look cool on Magriders.

Nobody needs to get the giraffe camo, it's in no way a requirement. However, what I would say is this: giraffe camo is the second best thing you can spend station cash on. If you're planning on flying a scythe, spend station cash on the rocket pods (1000 certs/700 SC).
    If you're not planning on spending much time in a scythe, spend SC on giraffe camo for whatever you plan to do most - vehicle camo if you fancy being a tanker, or infantry camo if you fancy being a grunt. There's also one-shot camos which are cheaper - they're only for one class or vehicle, and you can't swap camo and then swap back, but if you know you're a medic you can be a giraffe medic for cheap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Giraffe camo has become a kind of unofficial uniform for the outfit.

Of course we would never require people to spend money in order to play in the outfit. That's all kinds of absurdly stupid.

We do, however, appreciate the gesture of looking astoundingly ugly. It is gloriously hideous.

I've yet to get it myself; waiting for next month's SC influx from membership.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I'm sure I can manage 500 smedbucks for the giraffe camo.

Oh... and I used to one of the 'top men' for teaching people how to shoot down aircraft with MANPADS.

I like shooting stuff down. If you want a dedicated AA section, I'm up for it.
    Last edited by Cobalt Stargazer; 04-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Network Hub
    Excited about this although sadly I definitely can't make this Thursday due to an obligatory work dinner. Hope it pans out well and becomes a regular outing!

That would be incredibly welcome actually
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Obscure Node
    Sounds great, I'm in (HA & Engi (but not certed a lot)).

Activated Node
    Sounds awesome, definitely up for this.

I've certed into Spawn beacons so I'm happy to be a SL.

Sweet, I'll be there as usual...hoping to get BattleRank 30 today ^^

Obscure Node
    Won't be available tonight But great idea, looking forward for the next one !

Work took longer than expected and making food, so won't be able to join this week.
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Mallory) : SceptrumTR (Lithcorp)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Just using this thread to get this out: If you have an AMS fitted Suni, please try to also get the vehicle ammo cert. It greatly helps us tank drivers. In todays big fight at the end (where we actually pushed back the TR) I had to go back to base three times because I was out of ammo and there was no ammo sundi around.
    Of course I don't want to tell people how to spent their certs but it would help greatly and also is free xp for you
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Not convinced that was a particularly great night. But then I was in a largely empty/mute channel.

It didn't help that we found ourselves face-on with the huge TR zerg most of the night. A lot of back and forth. Pretty sure when I left we were at the same place as where we started the night... That's basically Planetside all over, but it didn't help that my attempt to break us out of our see-saw action left us stranded.

I had the map open most of the night and all squads were pretty much working tightly together, which was great to see. Swift response at most times too.

Somewhat dull push-pull shape to the night aside; how did it go down?

Comms. Did it work? Did a 4-way split provide tighter squad comms, or was it just too quiet? Did the previous night where there were two 24-person channels work better?

Command: I think I'll answer this one. I think I prefer a system where the PL sets general target (e,g: Tumas tech) and SLs just annouce their intentions (bravo going via Chimney Rock, charlie chosing to go logging company then storage yard etc.) in a more democractic manner.
    I much prefered tonight's system to the usual channel of 40 people where 5 people have an idea for the next destination and all chip in, and people head off all over the place befere a PL steps in and announces where. But I think there's a half-way point to be found that wasn't tonight's format.
    I had a crack at directing 3 squads in a fairly close fashion, but am not convinced that was the best decision making process. It might say more about my PL style / ability than anything else though.

I never fully felt like I was aware enough of what was going on to make decisions, nor that that decisions I made always made sense / were communicated by me properly. I think that's much more a result of a bunch of people working together for the first time than anything else though.

On the ground: I had no experience of this. Was the "on the ground" experience any different than the usual purple wednesday nights? For the better?

In any case, I'm too busy with work / don't have the inclination to run as PL for another strategic giraffe night. Not because I think it's a bad idea, far from it, but simply because this chain of command stuff sits outside of my comfort zone of playstyle. I'm still happy to boss about 40 half-drunk people on a Wednesday though.

I think there should be another strategic giraffe night, and I'll try to be there, on the ground, shooting lasers this time. If someone wants to sort that out; either as the second platoon next purple Wednesday as it was yesterday, or another thursday (or any other day of the week), than I'm happy to set Steam announcements etc.

Edit: To be more assertive. There WILL be another Strategic Giraffes night. Because someone will volunteer to organise it. Please step forward.

It was a good night. I think we just need to tweak the format a bit so that we get the sweet point between "too many people in one channel making organisation impossible" and a strict hierarchy of command that seemed a bit too inflexible for a fast-moving game.
    Last edited by Cooper; 06-12-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I can only talk for bravo (was it bravo? Ridebirds?) squad but I think it was a pretty good run. I cannot remember where something we tried to do actually failed (as failed by communication, not being shot into pieces). Communication within bravo was mostly down to orders and requests, which was fine. I think that we were fighting the TR zerg wasn't helping much as we were simply outnumbered most of the time. Also there were plenty of retreat orders which became confusing as for us grunts (imho) it was hard to figure out what our overall tactic was, to be able to better adopt to it.

I think the one thing that might have improved our game would have been that we need some tighter knit firing squads. Like one AA squad which sticks together, follows the main troops and provides AA support. We surely lacked that. Maybe the same with a dedicated inf AV and an infiltrator squad for spotting and sniping (could be inside the AA squad). It would make people have a dedicated role to play and would take less organization on their part as they know what to do as long as there is a platoon waypoint up.

Also very often when we had to respond to aircraft or vehicles people switched their classes to counter and with that we lacked other capabilities like fighting off incoming infantry.
    Also we have to keep a closer eye on our backs and Sundi. Very often the enemy was able to sneak up on us from behind.

But overall I think we are getting there. It just needs some more time and adjusting.
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-12-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Communication command ways worked about 5000 times better. It was great really. I think two squads together works better gameplay wise probably (12 is a bit few for a lot of objectives I felt today), but comms wise it was much better this way.

I felt we worked pretty well in bravo. People listened and we got some stuff done. The main issue was push pull and that we were moved around a bit much. Therefore the mentioned more democratic way you described Cooper could work better. I know for myself that it can be quite hard to keep track on what you said to what squad, and what you told them to do. Generally it worked though, but as bonkers describes it probably made very little sense to the others in the squad. The overall strategy I felt was hard to see, and we were all over the place. That was mainly due to the nature of TR moving about though.

Regarding smaller fireteams and specialization, I think we were just a bit few, and 24 would work better that way. I agree though, generally we were a bit confused tonight, and I didn't call stuff as soon as I should. I was abit unclear on some stuff as well I feel, which caused confusin. I probably should have explained orders more. Also communication was a bit stiff. The main reason for this is probably, well I felt this anyway, that people might be a little afraid to speak up with suggestions a la "we should get two AA maxes up" because of the SERIOUS nature of the night. In my squad at least it's fine to talk and joke as long as you listen and react quick when I order stuff, and can focus on the game.

I think we all realized it's not that serious after a while, but banter and general talkativeness was quite a bit lower in bravo then it would be between 12 people on a normal night. Radio discipline is great, but when you're 12 you can actually talk random stuff and get to know eachother without distractic from the orders etc, which I feel makes teamwork much better.

Also we get some new people and such. I think we maybe should enforce the time a bit more, cause I saw you having to move around dudes quite often Cooper. That's mainly due to the shitty UI though. I can't believe people can't move themselves in to squads. So dumb, and such an unnecessary task for the PL. Really hope SOE will fix that.