Page 19 of 84 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hey, good to have you on board! Glad you liked it. I'm totally hooked myself... See you around

Also, thanks everyone for putting up with my first stumbling attempts at leading a full 48-man platoon in a reasonably ordered manner. It was indeed quite a tall order and I'm learning new skills all the time as well, trying to keep people in interesting and worthwhile fights. Any feedback from those of you playing under my command tonight is greatly appreciated!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You were very difficult to hear at times Eso, you should try boost your mic and maybe talk louder. Understandably it's late at night and you might not be able to talk loud, but boosting your mic will help. As SL or PL you have to be able to be heard clearly.

Yeah, that was really unfortunate. I had Mumble on maximum amp and tuned my mic up to max in Windows. Tried getting the mic basically all the way back my throat, but nothing seems to have helped... :/ Can't really speak up much louder than that because of sleeping family members.

Could the positional audio plugin have messed things up?

is this usually a problem for me on any other night?

I haven't noticed you doing anything noteworthy wrong at least waxwing, so that seems like a good sign! For the record, allies have a blue or green triangle above their head at all times, so if you see someone moving around without a marker (or if they are spotted, a red one), you can safely fire. Except random vehicles very very far away but then you can fire off a couple of shots to see if the game tells you not to shoot at them.

In the same vein, if a player has a visible health bar above his head, that means he needs healing or repairs. If they're very low or ask for assistance an additional icon will appear in addition. This can also be seen on the minimap. And a MAX crash means rushing a position with a lot of MAXes, the big exoskeletons with a huge gun on each arm. These, by the way, need engineers to heal them. However, if one is down and out, they are ressed by a medic. Hope those tidbits help!

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, that was really unfortunate. I had Mumble on maximum amp and tuned my mic up to max in Windows. Tried getting the mic basically all the way back my throat, but nothing seems to have helped... :/ Can't really speak up much louder than that because of sleeping family members.

Could the positional audio plugin have messed things up?

is this usually a problem for me on any other night?
    You can easily be drowned out every now and then, but your sound settings are consistent so it isn't positional audio. But people really should try to pay more attention to when a leader is talking in general, I think that's a good trait to hammer in for the outfit no matter who's in charge. Also, I thought you did pretty well, as I know it's a lot to deal with once you get several squads to order around. I wasn't in on the leader chat either so I can't comment on the communication there, but I was satisfied as a grunt.

Activated Node
    Esoteric, you did lead very well yesterday. That was a good job well done.

why is this in stratgir thread, by the way?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Because we ran with the strategic giraffe setup for a while yesterday. Four squads, each in their own channel, linked SL comms. We could take it elsewhere, if you feel the discussion is off-topic.

Activated Node
    Perhaps because half an hour or so before the official SOE event started we more or less declared an ad hoc stratgir night to commemorate the occasion.

oh damnit. D:
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jclooth View Post
    I was only on for the first hour or so but Nick did a good job for Delta for that time atleast! I felt involved and informed! Sad I missed the lock but I'll be taking advantage of double xp and not having much else to do this weekend I think! (sorry Jesus this doesn't really help you but it prompted me to give Nick his props!)

Glad you enjoyed it J! That was my main aim for the night! Shame you had to shoot off but thanks for the feedback. (: Delta squad did great, it was a pleasure.

Highlight was the Bio Lab crash.

Last edited by NickWhite; 27-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Ok, Posting this here cos I'm on a work machine and can't figure out how to start new threads.... I had a lot of fun at about 2am last night (this morning?) leading the dedicated if slightly insane Bravo squad during the second half of the empire showdown thingy. It got me thinking about squads, composition and tasking. So thoughts follow.

The Role of SLs - Grible thinks.

Composition.
    People really should know their Squad and Number even on the casual nights.

There is probably an ideal format for a squad for various situations, but it would be hard to figure out, harder to do, and boring. But since we are lucky enough to have each player in the outfit possessing a wide range of skills (player) and certs (character), so that each person has probably 2-3 classes and play styles they prefer, it should be possible in most situations to juggle up a squad to suit any tasking. I would suggest however that there are certain things that SLs should try to 'enforce', by which I mean gently assert and ask for:-

A squad really never should be with out at least one engie and two medics IMHO,

a Gal drop must never happen without an infil to hack the damn terminals.

People must be told to wait and bunch up before specific attacks, I hope those in Bravo last night noticed that we worked a lot better once we got together than when we are all running about Sungrey trying to do the best thing we each could. Don;t be afraid to give mini objectives, "Building South of C" and so on and move the squad as a unit. It does work.

There are probably more SL rules of thumb that you guys can think of.

Comms
    I prefer the Strat Style of comms, but it should be a global thing that the SLs and PL should introduce themselves so people know their voices on assumption of command, also that chatter (jokes, stories, woo that's cool) should be stopped dead if the SL breaks in to give instruction. I hope my style of command isn't too heavy handed, I try to give specific tasks and then nudge people into doing them - but I do feel that the SL has to be among the more vocal people in his/her channel, if only cos the Gribles, JGs, Zims, and so on of the outfit will talk for hours given a chance..

On this subject SLs repeating PL instructions both back to the PL in private before to the squads in public would really help confirm orders. Also If a SL says "we need a sundy" saying "Grible is getting a sundy" is better (or not generally...) than "I'm getting one". Talking in the third person is weird but it does work.

Another odd comms trick is to call a "numbering off along the boat" ie "we need a max crash is everyone ready?" "Two - Max" "Three - Medic" "Four - wait - changing to medic" "five- engie" "six - I'm on amerish wtf are you?" is more useful than silence or a chorus of "I'm changing/ no/ yes /serious wtf are you?"

Target Calling
    We are as an outfit on the whole, dreadful at giving useful information in a hurry. I would really like to stamp out the "Sundy over here" calls, is that sundy friendly or baddie? Where in gods name is 'here'?

I know I'm as useless with the directions as anyone which I mostly blame on the map/compass system but really I'm trying so so should you! "Baddy Sundy, North of A" is better, "Baddy Sundy, 6 in it, heading round rock to north of C" is probably too long.... but I guess what I'm saying is if we can be consistent with the reporting and attach names or squad numbers to calls, "Baddy Sundy, North of A, near Bravo 2" it would work better non?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Sorry for not joining tonight guys (even though I've been one of the more vocal for strat sundays ), but I'm spending some time with the girlfriend tonight.

Will play tommorrow. Missed the entire XP weekend, been busy with other stuff.. Like finishing Dark Souls!

Excellent round up post, Grible. The next time I SL anything resembling serious, I'll be using all those ideas as ground rules in the initial briefing before moving out. I think if people are reminded of the details every now and then, the outfit will eventually think and act more efficiently by default.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Sounds good Grible. I try to do some of that.

We need to make sure we mention all of these things to make them stick.

Agreed Griblington.

I'm glad we're on the same page! That's exactly how i've been running my squads to... Mini objectives, assigning individuals tasks, giving them advice on how to communicate on comms better (like your examples), etc. And i'd recommend squads to be run like that to any budding SL out there. I wouldnt say it's being heavy handed at all, sometimes as a SL you just have to grab the Giraffe by the horns.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Obscure Node
    Also a thought - worth making sure everyone understands what 'break break' means (stfu and listen, urgently).

strange.

Dont have time on thursday, in case that was still planned; also generally need to play more before I PL again.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Another thumbs up for the Grible Report!

I think enforcing the use of the Mumble overlay would help with a lot of the comms admin. Any new / newish members will be able to put voices to names so they know who they're playing with, everyone can see when the SL/PL is talking so they know to stfu, when someone asks to pull a gal or whatever you can see who's volunteered etc etc.

One thing I've found slightly unusual is that nobody seems to use the grid on the map. I don't know if this is cause it's useless (can't remember how big the grid blocks are) but it might help to use it for spotting of larger groups of enemies, or just for people to know whereabouts a certain base is. Might just be me, but sometimes when a base is referred to by name I have to spend a few moments trying to find out where the hell said base is on the map!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I use the grid, but a lot of people don't even know it's there. IIRC it's off by default.