Page 35 of 84 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I don't know if any of you watched MLG Dallas last weekend, but there was an announcement about making instance events, where you'd play as a group for X time and there would be a score at the end of it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    I agree that most games are pointless, but we enjoy them nonetheless. As for achievements, we are part of a community that does not need Steam Badges and such, but loves the challenge presented by Classic Ironman in XCOM, is Prepared to Die in Dark Souls, is thrilled to boldy go into certain death in FTL. This game has gotten more challenging, with the increased organisation of the NC/TR alliances. And we've done the casual thing, we've done the sandbox thing, and we've scratched the surface of the tactical thing. I believe that that is a "game mode" we've not sufficiently explored.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Continent lock, fuck yeah! After at least an hour of gruelling fights back and forth between Soltech and Stoneridge. (Oh my God, Soltech!)

Good job tonight everyone who was there!

Also splitting squad comms and tactical lead between two different people when doing squad-play was awesome! I did it first as comms guy, with KandonArc leading the squad, and later on Novawulfen took over after him. It worked out really well. I could concentrate on comms chat and giving and relaying both orders, sitreps and intel. I could get the peace of mind to ask for new orders in time to know where to go next before the cap went through, at least a lot more often than usual. I'd like Kandon and Novawulfen to pitch in with any feedback on the experience, if you felt that you knew what was going on, and what you were supposed to do. (Also thank you for your excellent job tonight!)

On the minus side, it was a bit strange to receive orders, but not decide how to act upon them. I had to bite my tongue a number of times, when I got the impulse to boss people around. I hope it worked out alright in the end.

Later on, and throughout the fight for Amerish, I was squad leader in Ridebird's squad, Ridebird being PL. Here, I was out of the command loop, and could focus entirely on trying to coordinate the movements of the squad, which was so nice. Leading a squad is usually a terribly messy thing, especially when things get a little hectic as they did tonight. But being out of the command loop, only being ordered to "go there, take that" or "defend here", was such a relief.
    Just to comment on the split comms thing: I really enjoyed it. It's much nicer to be able to listen to the squad at all times and have someone else paying attention in leader chat. Occasionally there was a slight delay after we completed an objective, but it was usually no more than we would have had if I had been in chat also. As a squad member, I also think it's nicer that the squad leader is always available and not listening to leader chat. So yeah, I'd recommend it and a big thinks to Esoteric for making it work well on Saturday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I will be on tonight. I would much prefer to lead a squad rather then to PL.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll be on. I dont mind doing either. Although I dont know if I can commit to a continent lock. I got until about 21.30 GMT.

Last night was great fun. Charlie squad (aka Big Purpz as I like to call it) worked brilliantly as a team. We had consistent and solid team work, from grey herring shipping, pushing over those ridges and then just kept pushing and pushing, meeting all and any resistance with a solid team of medics who were on the ball rezzing people, engi's who quickly repaired sundies when they could and replenished ammo for us and some heavies who took out enemy armour. Two particular highlights where pushing over those ridges (I'm sorry if my smoke grenades made it hard to see ) and the fight in one of the tech labs where a group of 4 of us went around hunting down the enemy sundies.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I have to say I had a blast leading Charlie last night. There was amazing team work, with people guarding each others' backs and people moving in groups. The squad as a whole was extremely responsive and it feels like our tactical play really came together. It was on a whole other level than what we had just a couple of months ago.

Something else I want to bring up that worked great with Charlie was moving out quickly. We had one, or two, sundies ready at almost all times, which meant that we could leave bases in 30-60 seconds (I think our record last night was at around 15 secs). This ensured that we were always focused on the task at hand, and that we were able to get to the next base before the enemy had the opportunity to prepare. And it worked excellently, all in all.

Also we were able to load up the spare seats with random players who we could use as bullet sponges! We rezzed them of course ​so they could take more bullets.

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Really happy with Delta yesterday as well, really felt like we were actually doing squad work, especially when we charged all the way from grey heron shipping to nott amp follwing Ridebirds gang.

I also really like being able to just take my squad and go where I think we are needed and then move back to support the main platoon.

Network Hub
    Had a blast last night with Bravo. Apologies for in-game squad chat problem messing up everyone's comms in the bio lab; that keybind has now been banished.

Those infantry charges were awesome to be part of and felt pretty effective. It did feel like it would have been more appropriate to have Ridebird behind us, in black camo pointing a pistol at our backs, rather than leading the charge, though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I am no fascist! I lead the charge with my soldiers
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    All-around good job yesterday, I think. It's just sad that the NC failed to hold Scarred Mesa, because that base...

A big thank you to SirWigglyBottom, who did very well. Getting cast into the PL role without very much warning like that is never easy, and you did good, after the initial setup period for Mumblez etc. Good job! Hope you didn't get too put-off by the experience.

Playing as Ridebird's comms officer during the first half of the night was really good fun, and it also seemed very effective, splitting command from communication. I sat in the command chat on Mumble, relaying orders to Ridebird, and intel to and from the squad. Ridebird was not in the command chat, so he could focus entirely on the small-scale tactics, making sure we were all moving and acting as a coherent unit. It worked so well, in fact, that I suggest we make this our standard mode of operation for any split-comms situation. The only drawback that I can see is that a bit of trust and mutual respect is required between the squad leader and the "radio operator", or it could probably feel a bit scary for the SL to stay out of the command chat.

Finally, another thank you to those who stayed behind for the debriefing we held at around midnight. Whenever we do have one, lots of good feedback and ideas are brought up. This is another thing I'd like to see us do as a part of standard procedure for strat nights. Things that came up during yesterday's debriefing:

• Aggression works, even across open ground, if you keep squads together and push with good support from medics and nearby Sunderers and tanks.
    • We would benefit from better use of combined arms - mixing infantry with tanks and aircraft, perhaps asking smaller specialized outfits for support.
    • We are too often reactive, rather than proactive. We tend to pull bursters/tanks/extra Sunderers only when the need arises, not to prevent the need from ever arising.
    • We have become really good at sticking together during squad play! This makes us much more effective in any situation where we meet substantial resisstance. On Esamir, we rolled over both TR and NC, seemingly without extreme advantage of numbers, much thanks to keeping together and supporting eachother.
    • That said, there are still things we could work on; situational awareness, choice of loadouts and more controlled ways to advance across terrain, enter and hold buildings etc. More training/practice was called for.
    • We need to defend our spawn points, especially Sunderers! A burster MAX and an engineer on the Sundy would be good.

Those of you who were there; what did I miss?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thank you Estoric, no it wasnt too hard, thanks to Boris and the danish-scottish-alpha-SL-whos-name-I-forgot that pointed possible enemy actions out to me.

I personally quite like giving each of the squads their own target to attack, and reinforce as required, that is how im used to playing these sort of games when taking on a divisional role. I also really enjoyed it, although I got a bit tired around 2200 GMT+1.

I think everyone did a excellent job. Delta stood out when attacking the Elli amp station in the south, they held the line until reinforcements came. Bravo did a excellent job reinforcing the southern territories and joining up with Delta at Elli amp, great timing there! Alpha was quickly moving around to the north multiple times to stop the Terran scum capping our warpgate territories. And last but not least, Charlie was just all round excellent, moving wherever needed and in general just being there!

In short, Good job! Jeej for ourselves! We managed to grab a significant amount of territory of the NC. Thankfully they where more pre-occupied with fighting eachother over trivial powerstations/biolads instead of looking at the bigger picture!

Oh, and Herron... was a magnificent fight. We stood against the enemy and beat them back! They didnt even bother to fall back to Nott amp station!

As alphas comms officer, I have to say alpha comms officer is completely superfluous.

Job description: Alphacomm handles comms between PL and alphaSL. But the PL is an alpha squad member, so can talk to alphaSL directly. The PL also has comms to all the other comms people, so no relaying needed there either. It's completely useless.

EDIT: I got a headache like an hour in and had to leave. I discussed it with Wiggly and we decided that we didn't even need to look for a replacement. That's how useless it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agreed. Its only usefull if the PL is in a seperated channel from the rest of the squads.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree about having the comms officer be someone other than SL as our standard mode of operation for split comms. Lammhueter took care of my comms yesterday and it really changed the whole feel of SLing on stratgir.night. Not having to keep track of two conversations at once was immenesly helpful. The only drawback I could think of was that it takes a bit more time to get orders. There's another link in the chain of commands, which add a bit of time where SL have to ask the comms officer for new orders, comms officer have to ask PL for new orders and all that has to be relayed back before SL can decide on any actions. But I feel this is something that will approve as we continue to do this and figure out the kinks in the system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    well, in reality the comms officer is the SL for the PL. They both discuss strategic actions, where as the actual SL is doing the tactical control of the squad. I forgot at times that the comms officer was not the SL. Nor did I feel communication was hampered or the reaction was slow.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    the danish-scottish-alpha-SL-whos-name-I-forgot
    That'll be Sampsiceramos.

Delta stood out when attacking the Elli amp station in the south, they held the line until reinforcements came.
    That was pretty funny. I think about 10 of 12 of us had spawned as medics and once in the base we spent a good 5 minutes rezzing each other without advancing much. The defenders must have been wondering where we our Sunderer was! Good thing we had stuck close together during the advance.
    Last edited by b3ll3nd; 29-03-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: think I spelt Sampsi's name right this time

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b3ll3nd View Post
    That was pretty funny. I think about 10 of 12 of us had spawned as medics and once in the base we spent a good 5 minutes rezzing each other without advancing much. The defenders must have been wondering where we our Sunderer was! Good thing we had stuck close together during the advance.
    And this here is the reason why medics are probably the best class in Planetside2.

Network Hub
    Sorry, I couldn't be there yesterday night. I wont' be able to connect next week neither. I'm glad that having a radio operator worked well. As I said, it will require the squad leader and his comm operator to be used working together.
    Did it really improve the squad play?