Page 40 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Because of cooldown timers and resources, I don't see specific air platoons and mechanized squads working out that well. You lose your Scythe/Mag, you're out for 15 minutes. There are also specific periods in a fight where air/armour are very useful, and outside those periods you really just want more ground infantry.

In fact, I'd take TACGIR in the other direction: less centralized, more autonomous squads doing whatever they want and calling for other squads as backup if they want it.
    That is why the Air Squadron will be split into two half squads. Scythes will pull back when they get damaged, and no less than two scythes will remain in the air at any time, to act in concert with each other. We need to learn not to overcommit. Also, when one squad is on cooldown, it may pull liberators for CAS, galaxies for taxi service, and AA for providing a safe fallback airspace for the other squad to lure enemy air into.

Same thing with armour. Bravo and Charlie will not roll in armour all the time, but, if needed, switch roles and act in support of each other. Bravo armour, Charlie acting as support infantry, suppressing the enemy Heavies and Engineers and also concentrating AV fire on the enemy armour. Armour will not move beyond the point of identified contacts. I find that our armour gets destroyed when it overextends, and moves beyond the cover of infantry, into territory that isn't properly reconnoitered.

In general, designating a squad as air or armour/mechanised is not about the means, but the role. And it is not set in stone. Other outfits, both opponents and in other servers, utilise similar setups. We can at least experiment with these. I think it will be a welcome change of pace.

PS: I agree with Ridebird about keeping it flexible. What I meant with "no less than 2 scythes in the air", is that when we have only 2 scythes remaining operational, they pull back and act conservatively, or only do scout runs. When a scythe is damaged, it should pull back. These are just guidelines, and I expect our more experienced pilots to come up with suggestions on how to more easily coordinate air operations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Sounds very ambitious. I like it! Will try to be available and wouldn't mind leading a squad.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    We need to learn not to overcommit.
    Guilty! :/ I just can't seem to resist chasing things!

I'm happy to go where I'm needed. Whether that's in the air, a heavy with my Lancer or as an Infi (Wraith modules FTW!).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Allright, I'd like to lead Delta.. Don't have to but I'd like to.

What Delta will do:
    Be aggressive
    Flank
    Be very quick to redeploy and such things
    Shock trooperrrrsss!
    Infantry only except for when tanks is really needed

If that sounds interesting to you please join me in Delta. We're gonna use heavies, MAXes, medics, an engineer and an infiltrator. Roles are of course flexible, but this is the main idea. So, if you prefer vehicles, go with one of the others instead!
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Tomorrow night, since it is Strategic Night, how about we do this:
    -Alpha: scout/intel/force recon. PL sits here. Alpha always moves about in the battlefield, identifying targets and coordinating the rest of the squads.
    -Bravo & Charlie: mechanised infantry. Maneuvers, mechanised infantry, armour, AA/AV batteries. Will act as support to Delta, watching its flanks, maneuvering with Delta as the pivot, acting as bound overwatch, etc. People that are interested in vehicle play join these.
    -Delta: shock troops/spec ops. Do it like Ridebird! The lunatics go here.

Air Squadron:
    -Separate platoon, squad-strength, divided into two squads of 6. PL acts as Air Control Officer (ACO), receiving requests for CAP/CAS

PL talks to the rest of the SLs. Alpha may have a separate SL that may also act as an XO when the PL is busy communicating with the rest of the SLs. I think we should avoid the usage of ROs.

I'll do PL. I'd like Ridebird for Delta, Esoteric for Charlie, and how about volunteers for Bravo and AirSquadron? Also, an SG that is also Comms Liaisons. SG makes strategic decisions, like what, but not how, we are going to hit next and how we coordinate with the TVA. PL decides logistics and battle plan. SLs execute the battle plan, coordinate their squad on the field, and keep providing sitreps and requests for reinforcements.

Under this proposal, major land grabs will be a bit trickier to pull. Instead of going wide, this setup is intended for going deep into enemy territory. Allied outfits could be requested to pull a TVA-wide hydraffe. We will split on occasion, but will always try to do that as a building step into concentrating in force from different directions. Last night, when we managed to reach the NC WG just by building momentum, was addictive!

PS: I also think that the above setup could work in defence. Bravo and Charlie perimeter security, Delta counter-attack, Alpha moving about, scouting for sunderers and spreading chaos.
    To bring this post back to attention: I can do Charlie lead. Who is interested in working with me as Bravo lead?

I'll also make sure that we have a couple of extra channels in reserve, in case we get more than 48, or want to do something special with smaller divisions (airthings or so).

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post

What Delta will do:
    Be aggressive
    Flank
    Shock trooperrrrsss!

If that sounds interesting to you please join me in Delta. We're gonna use heavies, MAXes, medics, an engineer and an infiltrator. Roles are of course flexible, but this is the main idea. So, if you prefer vehicles, go with one of the others instead!
    Pick me, Pick me! Gonna buy the handcannon tonight too. Also, should be rolling medic mostly. Gonna miss my smoke though :<

I can medic for delta again as well, possibly RO

I'm happy to take SL, PL, RO or any other acronym tonight

Yay for Delta lunatics, as long as we get to kill, kill, KILL! Can do any infantry role needed really. Regards, PurpleSnow.

Obscure Node
    Expect a beefy patch when you log in. (533 MB I believe)

472 MB for me.

I would love to see a squad that doesnt do objectives, just kills.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post

What Delta will do:
    Be aggressive
    Flank
    Shock trooperrrrsss!

I'd be up for this, particularly if you could use a light assault to bring some verticality and smoke to the flanking!

Alright, anyone who wants to have a leadership position for tonight, set up these two keybinds in Mumble:

1) Unit chat: shout to channel Parent and all subchannels
    2) Platoon command: shout to channel Current and linked channels.

We will do a quick rundown of the comms at 19.00 UK time.

I'd like to RO tonight, if anyone wants me. Otherwise I'll be a medic/engineer.

AAR from yesterday's stratgir session:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post296823

I started out PLing, and Eplekongen graciously took over from me at around 2120 UK time.

I'll cross-post the relevant part of "lessons learned" from yesterday's debrief, to bring them up for discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Lessons learned:
    - Start out with two platoons and start up two squads in each, Alpha+Bravo and Echo+Foxtrot. This gives us two groups to work with, that are both big enough to handle a bit of resistance.We will always need two platoons now, we're that many playing Stratgir now! We should not need to spend much time as I did tonight getting Mumble set up and everyone into the right channels etc. Let's make sure we've got channels set up for two platoons, and start two platoons in-game before setting out.

- Make sure to get a real plan and briefing before moving out. People on the front ranks didn't quite feel like they knew what was going on in the beginning. We should take a few minutes to get things together, and make sure that everyone knows what we're doing, and what everyone's role is, if there is any such distinction.

- MAX crashes: we should not crash all through one door or we will be wiped out. We need to split up targets by squads and spread out a bit more.

- When setting out for the next objective, we would benefit from taking a bit more time to get things settled, come up with a plan and make sure everyone in the squad knows what we're going to do, and what their role in the whole thing is going to be. We often rush to our deaths when we could have taken 20 seconds to sort out a rough plan of action that would likely be much more successful.

- Need better mentoring procedures for new leaders. We had a couple of new leaders on tonight. They did a great job, but would really need someone to step up and give them a helping hand. It is easy to get completely overwhelmed by the amount of things going on.

- Need some more training/walkthroughs on comms (especially SL-to-SL coordination). SL-to-SL coordination seems to hardly have been used at all tonight, which is a real shame, because that is one of the major strengths of our comms system. I, or whoever else is platoon leading, need to be very clear up-front about the fact that SLs can communicate with each other! We should announce this before setting out, and remind people a few times during the night, until this becomes second nature.

- The PL-RO-SL role split worked like clockwork tonight, at least from my perspective as PL over-burdened by management tasks. This seems to have become second nature for us now, though we stumbled in the beginning, so I have hopes for the SL-to-SL comms to work out nicely soon enough, too. I'd like to see SLs and ROs of the night comment on this aspect of play, though.

- EDIT: Oh, and ROs often need to report in more often. Some were really good at this, some need to give quick info on what the squad is up to a bit more often. I'm generally pleased, we have certainly made excellent progress lately, but I'd like a bit more proactivity still. Keep up the good work, and do even better next time!

Strategic Thursday startup checklist

To streamline things for next time I've composed a suggestion for a checklist that we can use when setting up for Strategic Thursdays. I find that the setup takes a lot longer thatn it should, and I believe that having a clearly defined procedure for it could cut down on the confusion, this always turns into.

Do you think this is a good idea? Is this the right things to do? Did I miss anything, include things that are uncnecessary?

Preparations:
    • Before the event, read the guide for PLs. It contains the most important things you will want to do be a good PL.
    • Make a plan. Decide on something to do, at least a first objective. Choose a continent to start out on.

What you will need:

• One liaison to keep contact with TVA and other outfits.
    • At least 4 SLs, who really should read the guide for SLs.
    • One RO for each SL, who should read the guide for ROs.
    • Two of these ROs should be platoon leaders for the platoons, to offload all of the management duties, allowing you to focus on leading the group.

Setup:
    • Added: First off, let everyone know where they should be going, so that they can warp over, or get in the queue. By the time you have the rest set up, any non-member players will likely have already come over to the right continent already.
    • Assign SL/RO pairs to at least the following four squads: Alpha, Bravo, Echo and Foxtrot. Make sure everyone knows their designation.
    • Get Alpha and Echo ROs to start up one platoon each. Have them invite their SL and the other SL/RO pair (alpha+Bravo and Echo+Foxtrot), so that each platoon contains two squads.
    • Platoon 1 is Alpha and Bravo (extensible to Delta), platoon 2 is Echo and Foxtrot (extensible to Hotel).
    • Have all SLs open outfit recruitment for their squads. Make sure they include the word "stratgir" and the squad name (Alpha, Bravo, Echo or Foxtrot for the first four squads) in their recruitment description.
    • After recruitment has been opened, you can verify that squad names are correct, and then join either one of the platoons. Ask to be put as SL in a squad of your own, so that you get access to leader chat.
    • Now that recruitment is up and people are dropping in, have SLs join the RO channel. Brief your SLs and ROs on the general plan for the first foray into the wild and point out any things that you want them to keep in mind.
    • Remind SLs that they have a private channel to the other SLs in their unit!

Moving out:
    • Before setting the herd loose on the world, take a minute to address everyone. Say hi, present yourself and your action plan, so that everyone knows what is going to happen first. If there's anything in particular you want people to try, let them know.
    • Start rolling! Once out in the wild, follow the general guidelines of the guide to SGs and the guide to PLs, and try to delegate as much as possible of any management work to other people.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 06-05-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Linked guide to SGs and added a point to Setup.

Looks concise and informative enough to my eyes.

I thought about this, I would add some stuff to the SL guide :
    - Before the beginning of the operation, ensure that all SL leaders can communicate to each other, through their whisper key. No squad should leave if one SL isn't responding to others SL. (Btw, is the whisper key limited to your unit ? or can you talk to all SL regardless of units ?)
    - Get an idea of who is on your team : Gal pilot, Medics, Engineers, Infiltrators, AA capabilities are things you're gonna need during the fight, so better check that you have people able (and willing) to fulfill theses roles. It's also a good way to introduce yourself, be friendly and get to know people before the fighting start.
    Actually, I would even get as far as to recommand a standard squad requirements. Something like "you need 2 medics, 1 engineer, 1 infiltrator, 1 gal pilot in your squad". I do not have enough experience to offer the best set-up, but that something we should think about, so that every squad can be efficient and self-reliant. If you get a squad where no one is willing to play medic (or nobody asked them to), you're starting with a disadvantage.