Page 30 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Allright, this is my proposed organization for tommorrow:

Platoon 1 - TUTORIAL TIME
    Here all noobs shalt go. We need at least five volounteers to herd these folk and teach them and answer all of their questions.

Platoon 2 - STRICTLY VETERINARIANS/VETERANS STRATGIR
    The usual stuff.

Okay, who can volounteer for teaching people?
    Find me on the Steams

We can adapt to the situation It could be advantageous if anything, I imagine new players would be impressed by seeing our platoons work together in an organised fashion.

I've had a little break from PS for a couple of weeks, think I'll be diving back in for this!

Yeah, though, you can't SL or PL with 10 new people asking you "how do I find you and what are this certs business". If previous callouts on the main page is t ogo by there will be 100+ people on.

No one can lead that many people in any organized fashion as it would take 3 platoons and about 6 squads to coordinate. That is a bigger undertaking then we have ever had.

edit: Of course - we can give it a go. Then we need volounteers.

I can volounteer for PLing one (1) platoon if needed. Otherwise I will SL.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Platoon 2 - STRICTLY VETERINARIANS/VETERANS STRATGIR
    Leaked image of Veterinarian Stratgir members repping a damaged galaxy: http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/130818.jpg
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Where do Vegetarians go?

Anyway i agree with Ridebird, if we get more than just 1-2 brand new people we should consider sticking them in their own squad with a couple of volunteers to herd them, but we should be careful not to exclude them, they should feel part of the operations.

Im up for playing with the new fellas if there are any.

Yeah fair point. I suppose it depends how many people will actually turn up!

We certainly have enough friendly and experienced people to SL the 'boot camp' squads, but it might not be so easy to turn those squads into a cohesive unit in one sitting. But, if we pull it off we could end up with a real nice influx of outfit members, which is great!

I can volunteer to SL either unit if we're desperate, however I probably won't be able to get on 'till 8pm on Thurs.

Not only herd them - they need support. This game offers very little. Wardancers as potential noobplatoon 1 leader then.
    Find me on the Steams

Not only support, but people with actual unlocks. A squad of BR1s has no reliable way of dealing with Sundies or air. You need to sprinkle people with C4/Mines and double Bursters in between them for them to not be a minor bump in the road the first Liberator/Vanguard they encounter turns into a puddle of blood in 2 shots.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...omorrow-night/

Is Jim's post for the record.
    I'm not able to post comments right now (using TOR, which RPS comments don't like). Anyone mind linking that AAR of mine ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...Gir-2013-02-28 ) for a taste of StratGir?

I'm inclined to say that newbie platoon should follow Stratgir format (PL - > SL -> grunt, split comms etc) because A, that is what Jim is promoting and B: it's a lot easier to answer 11 people's questions than it is 47. It also means that the newbie squads can be ferried around in a bus together, and given their first taste of galaxy dropping somewhere useful.

I'm happy to do any role - so grunting for vets up to PL, including vet and newbie SL - with the slight provisio that I don't know as much about the game as some of our other experienced players.

Allrighty then. I guess we try to get a good mix.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    CMaster linked your AAR and a video of Ridebird just so people know who to trust :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Can we make an effort to get a fair few of us on early-ish, say about 5pm?

Also, I think a stratgir setup for new players is a good idea. 12 people in a channel makes asking questions easier. I'm tempted tio suggest we push for full strat night in all platoons, but that does mean SLs coming out of the woodwork.

However. We need to make sure we a) get a good mix of new and existing players in all squads and b) that is 'feels' like you are actually playing with the 80+ people I expect we'll have.

For b) can I suggest that PLs maybe chat-to-all platoon a bit mroe often and SLs be a little bit more verbose when explainign to squads not only what the objective is, but why (i.e: The platoon is doing X, we are helping here, in order to push TR this or that way, or to get a tech plant...)

As for a) we need some way of easily sorting players. I can't think of anything easy, but this is my initial suggestion.
    We have one squad open to recruitment. I sit in it and say hi to new people who join. Get them sorted with the absolute basics (check Mumble ok, get them on the right continent, really really basic WG orientation) and then sort them out with a space in a strat squad. I'll ask a PL for a space, kick the player, and get the SL to send an invite. I can then check they got the invite and I can just move them myself in Mumble (I have move privileges over the PS2 channels)

As for comms in general, I propose we split platoons. PLs plus liason should be on one whisper loop. PLs plus their platoon SLs either on another whisper loop or via 4 hotkeys (as was the intended trial for tonight)?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    I'd propose setting aside a mumble channel for noob questions and finding an extraordinarily patient individual to answer them

I would willingly do noob wrangling - but I won't get on till more like 2230!
    Damn *jealous!*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Ok, I've doen some quick edits to this front post & Mumble.

Suggested format:

We create a second StratGir channel setup. PLs & SLs get in early and get comms sorted.

Only one (non-strat) platoon which is recruiting outfit members (me as PL). All StratGir platoons are closed. Invites to StratGir platoons sent by hand (annyoing, I know, but it will avoid confusion).

Everyone joins Mumble and joins "Platoon 1".

For new players:
    I will stay in this channel, along with a few regular volunteers. New players will get an outfit invite and join the (non-Strat) platoon. In this platoon I will run basic exercises & orientation. Answer setup questions etc. A few volunteers to help here welcome. The idea will be to keep this pretty short and get players into Strat squads quickly.

For Regular players & new players moving to join Strat squads.
    I will ask over outfit text-chat for an SL with a space. First SL to x-up will be asked to send an invite to the player looking to join a squad. After I have confirmed they have got the invite, I will move them in Mumble.

Whether we have a 'training' strat platoon or not we can play by ear. I would prefer just mixing everyone up. In anycase, I think we should be organising 12-person "strat" channels for the new players. That's what they've been told to expect, and it should help prompt people to ask questions and be less likely to be lost in the crowd.

To that end: Regular players: Please pay attention to newbies. There will only be 12 of you in a channel so you can tell who is new. Check they are ok, talk things through with them. Too often new players get drowned out by our large, busy channels. This is an opportunity to pay a more attention to make sure people don't bounce straight off.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Cooper, you have my assistance. Happy to help out with the new lot.