Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
Because of cooldown timers and resources, I don't see specific air platoons and mechanized squads working out that well. You lose your Scythe/Mag, you're out for 15 minutes. There are also specific periods in a fight where air/armour are very useful, and outside those periods you really just want more ground infantry.

In fact, I'd take TACGIR in the other direction: less centralized, more autonomous squads doing whatever they want and calling for other squads as backup if they want it.
That is why the Air Squadron will be split into two half squads. Scythes will pull back when they get damaged, and no less than two scythes will remain in the air at any time, to act in concert with each other. We need to learn not to overcommit. Also, when one squad is on cooldown, it may pull liberators for CAS, galaxies for taxi service, and AA for providing a safe fallback airspace for the other squad to lure enemy air into.

Same thing with armour. Bravo and Charlie will not roll in armour all the time, but, if needed, switch roles and act in support of each other. Bravo armour, Charlie acting as support infantry, suppressing the enemy Heavies and Engineers and also concentrating AV fire on the enemy armour. Armour will not move beyond the point of identified contacts. I find that our armour gets destroyed when it overextends, and moves beyond the cover of infantry, into territory that isn't properly reconnoitered.

In general, designating a squad as air or armour/mechanised is not about the means, but the role. And it is not set in stone. Other outfits, both opponents and in other servers, utilise similar setups. We can at least experiment with these. I think it will be a welcome change of pace.

PS: I agree with Ridebird about keeping it flexible. What I meant with "no less than 2 scythes in the air", is that when we have only 2 scythes remaining operational, they pull back and act conservatively, or only do scout runs. When a scythe is damaged, it should pull back. These are just guidelines, and I expect our more experienced pilots to come up with suggestions on how to more easily coordinate air operations.